You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sites for finding references of individual type specimens?

Started by tyrantqueen, December 07, 2012, 05:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Where can I find papers for individual type specimens? The kind that has photos/sketches made by paleontologists of individual bones when they dig up a dinosaur. Dinosaur osteology if you will. I hope this makes sense. I know that The Princeton Field Guide has many skeletons of various species, but those are generally cleaned up and compiled from several sources. I want to see the original fossils.

Books or PDF format would be preferable.

Thanks!

SBell

unfortunately, you'll have to do individual searches for each species that you want.

The paleobiology database often lists these (at least year and author). When it comes to getting them, you might find some on Google scholar, but for the most part you will have to get access to the journals--which often require subscriptions.

amargasaurus cazaui

Somewhat, why i tried to start a thread here for people to post the papers to, with little luck or participation
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 07, 2012, 07:21:33 PM
Somewhat, why i tried to start a thread here for people to post the papers to, with little luck or participation

You probably can't post the papers here for copyright reasons (links, sure, why not). And there is nothing wrong with doing a bit of your own footwork/googling to find them.

tyrantqueen

Thanks. I found a few, very old and outdated papers on Biodiversity Heritage Library http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/Default.aspx
One paper I am looking for in particular is Osteology of Tyrannosaurus Rex: Insights from a nearly complete Skeleton and High-Resolution Computed Tomographic Analysis of the Skull.

I've tried google scholar and just plain ol' google, but didn't really get anything

EDIT: Just for clarification, I want free (open source) papers, not pirated ones :P

tyrantqueen

I'd just like to say that I've downloaded Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology's Osteology of Tyrannosaurus rex for £10 from their site. It was definitely worth it, the images are brilliant :)

wings

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 09, 2012, 01:24:18 PM
I'd just like to say that I've downloaded Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology's Osteology of Tyrannosaurus rex for £10 from their site. It was definitely worth it, the images are brilliant :)
Did you end up getting the supplementary videos as well?

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.