News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

GODZILLA: MINUS ONE

Started by GojiraGuy1954, July 11, 2023, 07:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Finally saw the movie, so I read this thread. What a film. So glad that even as the MonsterVerse reaches the base of the cliff it fell off of when KoTM came out, we still have cinema like this which really captures the essence of Honda's original masterwork, and debatably even surpasses it.

Not to disparage the AppleTV+ Monarch show, though. It's no Minus One but it's of quality, unlike the cinematic projects as of 2019. Can we hand them over to these writers? They're doing a much better job.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think after all these years of watching and growing up with Godzilla there is room for all sorts of interpretations. He's literally universal in how he can be used.  I didn't much care for the anime versions but it has fans. I say let everyone eat what they like.

dragon53

GODZILLA MINUS ONE/MINUS COLOR---trailer released for the black and white version of the hit movie. Writer/director Takashi Yamazaki said, "'GODZILLA MINUS ONE/ MINUS COLOR, which has been in the works for a long time, will finally release. The team did not just make the film monochrome, but coordinated it shot-by-shot, making full use of various mats (*grayscale images used to specify only the necessary area in each material when compositing multiple image materials), as if they were creating a new film. The goal was to create an image tone as if taken by the masters of black-and-white photography. I asked them to unearth as much skin texture and landscape detail as possible, which were latent in the captured data. Then, Godzilla appeared, as terrifying and horrifying as in a documentary. A new sense of reality that looms over you by losing colors. Please come to the theater and live and resist the further horror."
MINUS COLOR will appear in 340 Japanese theaters beginning on January 12. No plans were mentioned for a US release.

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShgB-ielBI

dragon53

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's certainly interesting.

MLMjp

Just came out from watching it.

Oh my God(zilla)

It was as good as people were saying, literally one of the best Godzilla films ever.

Too tired to discuss, it's midnight already, will post more tomorrow.

PD: I really hope Hiya has plans of making a Minus Goji figure (and that Toho allows them to do so). I'm not wasting my money on an overpriced figure full of issues by Bandai and I don't trust Super7, plus their figures are as expensive as Monsterarts in my country.

Over9K

Man, I hope we get Minus Color on Blu at least... I can't expect we'll get a theatrical run for that.

Halichoeres

I'm not really a monster movie fan, but I watched Minus One and enjoyed it. First Godzilla movie I've ever sat through the whole thing, although the parts where Godzilla was actually on screen I started to tune out a little.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on December 21, 2023, 10:54:05 AMMan, I hope we get Minus Color on Blu at least... I can't expect we'll get a theatrical run for that.

IDK it's really popular now maybe it would if it gets butts in seats? I still haven't heard anything about a Bluray or dvd release yet..not even streaming.

GojiraGuy1954

I heard it'll be on Amazon Prime

Fembrogon

The movie is still playing in Japanese theaters, and you can be sure Toho will want their own domestic release out before the international markets do. I wouldn't expect to hear word of a US Blu-ray until next fall, frankly.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Maybe with Japan it could take awhile.  Turn around time for media release though is almost instant, maybe a month or two. I would think they want to get it out as soon as the theatrical run is done to maximize profits.

Carnoking

Anyone remember how long it took for Shin Godzilla to get a physical media release?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I can't recall, I didn't see it until I bought the dvd/bluray though. It didn't have near this level of success at release.

Over9K

Quote from: Carnoking on December 22, 2023, 11:34:22 AMAnyone remember how long it took for Shin Godzilla to get a physical media release?

October '16 theatrical, August '17 Blu.

This is why I have spent most of my free time in the theater this month, seeing it pretty much daily.

dragon53

GODZILLA MINUS ONE---producer Minami Ichikawa commented on the future of the franchise after MINUS ONE has earned $75 million worldwide with a budget under $15 million, "We're collectively considering the future of the Godzilla character. We've had things like animated Godzilla films in the past, so we're brainstorming new avenues to expand the Godzilla universe."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on December 26, 2023, 03:46:36 PMGODZILLA MINUS ONE---producer Minami Ichikawa commented on the future of the franchise after MINUS ONE has earned $75 million worldwide with a budget under $15 million, "We're collectively considering the future of the Godzilla character. We've had things like animated Godzilla films in the past, so we're brainstorming new avenues to expand the Godzilla universe."

I just want Anguirus back in..something.

GojiraGuy1954

More Godzilla animation is an interesting prospect

Over9K

Quote from: dragon53 on December 26, 2023, 03:46:36 PMGODZILLA MINUS ONE---producer Minami Ichikawa commented on the future of the franchise after MINUS ONE has earned $75 million worldwide with a budget under $15 million, "We're collectively considering the future of the Godzilla character. We've had things like animated Godzilla films in the past, so we're brainstorming new avenues to expand the Godzilla universe."

Whaaaat?

2 years ago it was "we're doing a series of films in a connected universe called The World Of Godzilla."

Now it's "we don't know what the fk we're doing next! *giggles*"

Typical Toho. They're gonna squander this opportunity, as usual.

GMK deserved a sequel, didn't get one.
Shin Godzilla deserved a sequel, didn't get one.

Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla III got one tho... **facepalm**

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on December 26, 2023, 08:03:47 PM

Whaaaat?

2 years ago it was "we're doing a series of films in a connected universe called The World Of Godzilla."

Now it's "we don't know what the fk we're doing next! *giggles*"

Typical Toho. They're gonna squander this opportunity, as usual.

GMK deserved a sequel, didn't get one.
Shin Godzilla deserved a sequel, didn't get one.

Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla III got one tho... **facepalm**

IDK what influence the producer has  in Japan? The Director has stated a sequel is possible?

GMK had a great Godzilla but the really blew it with mothra and that juvenile Ghidorah. Should have kept Anguirus and Varan.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: