News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

GODZILLA: MINUS ONE

Started by GojiraGuy1954, July 11, 2023, 07:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hope it's the perspective, the foot looks HUGE again.

dragon53

Over9K

dragon53

dragon53

GODZILLA MINUS ONE---director Gareth Edwards, who directed the 2014 reboot GODZILLA, commented on MINUS ONE, "There were a lot of things that I felt were very new for Godzilla, and I felt jealous the whole time I was watching the movie. This is what a Godzilla movie should be. [GODZILLA MINUS ONE] must be mentioned as a candidate for the best Godzilla movie of all time."

Dynomikegojira

On my way to finally see Godzilla Minus One tonight in an hour. Here's to hoping it's as good as everybody is saying.

Over9K

I just got out of back-to-back screenings of Minus One and I can safely say this is a level-up for the genre in general, and the Godzilla franchise overall. This is a film that the 'serious film community' may well be forced to acknowledge. Hanging a sombre, emotional character study of the nature of guilt, loss and post-trauma mental health over the Kaiju-eiga structure yields a film where the monster becomes an allegory for the psyche of the Japanese post-war generation, their fears, and neurosis. If Shin Godzilla was a film about the government of Japan, then Minus One is a story about its people.

Dynomikegojira

Great film definitely a worthy companion with Shin Godzilla as the the best of the modern Godzilla films and all time.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 17, 2023, 08:26:54 PMHope it's the perspective, the foot looks HUGE again.
"Clown feet!" I had to say it after all the grief I have taken.😄
I grew up in the 60s and I never took the original Godzilla seriously especially because of those fat legs. The Legendary films are the first that I have sat through and liked the look of Godzilla.
avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Since I haven't seen any of the other modern interpretations I have an honest question for you did "Minus one" rip off the glowing blue back plates from Legendary or were they done before?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 30, 2023, 07:49:17 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 17, 2023, 08:26:54 PMHope it's the perspective, the foot looks HUGE again.
I grew up in the 60s and I never took the original Godzilla seriously especially because of those fat legs. The Legendary films are the first that I have sat through and liked the look of Godzilla.
avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Since I haven't seen any of the other modern interpretations I have an honest question for you did "Minus one" rip off the glowing blue back plates from Legendary or were they done before?

lol you have every right to call that out. I really hope they are more in scale then they appear, seeing the film myself in an hour.

I think Minus One is doing them in a totally unique way from what I've seen but yes they are blue in color, I think the 90's versions had blue as well.

Fembrogon

Godzilla's plates have been glowing blue since 1962.

...Although the "charge-up" process has been steadily more dramatized starting in the 2000s. The "tail first" method was started by the Legendary films.

Over9K

Quote from: Fembrogon on December 01, 2023, 02:31:27 AMGodzilla's plates have been glowing blue since 1962.

...Although the "charge-up" process has been steadily more dramatized starting in the 2000s. The "tail first" method was started by the Legendary films.

The fins glowed in '54 and '55 too, but those films were black & white...

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 01, 2023, 12:36:17 AM
Quote from: Doug Watson on November 30, 2023, 07:49:17 PM

lol you have every right to call that out. I really hope they are more in scale then they appear, seeing the film myself in an hour.

I think Minus One is doing them in a totally unique way from what I've seen but yes they are blue in color, I think the 90's versions had blue as well.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon avatar_Over9K @Over9K Thank you for the answers since the only versions I had seen outside of Legendary were only bits and pieces of the originals and I never sat through a whole one I never caught the glow, good to know its part of the lore. Even if they had been in colour I wouldn't have known we only had a B&W TV back then.😊

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just got back from seeing it in MXC.  Wow. It was pretty epic, no kidding. Story and visuals were great. I actually cared about the people this time too. There is a lot I'd discuss but not without spoilers unfortunately. I agree with just about everything others have said.  I will say there was some jerky fx work, may have been on purpose to simulate some movements in 54', lot's of call backs to other G-films too..one music selection kinda threw me out of the film for a bit though.  There were a couple times it felt more like a people affected by Godzilla vs a Godzilla film but that could be the intent anyway for this film. I went in pretty blind. Overall I'm thrilled with it and it was made even made even better seeing it on the big screen I can't say more without giving anything away.

Jose S.M.

I'm sad this one didn't come to any theater in my country.

rm0918

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on September 06, 2023, 12:15:40 PM... I was also interested to discover that "The Beast from 20,000 fathoms" was a large influence for Godzilla. It was a Ray Harryhausen dynamation film about an ancient dinosaur awoken and freed from ice as the result of nuclear testing. It then rises from the sea to rampage and terrorize a city. I made a gif of it for illustrating this post:

Emmerich's Godzilla is a direct remake of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms.  Just like Independence Day is a remake of George Pal's War of the Worlds.

dragon53

Fembrogon

Quote from: rm0918 on December 01, 2023, 09:50:16 PMEmmerich's Godzilla is a direct remake of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms.  Just like Independence Day is a remake of George Pal's War of the Worlds.
I wish people would stop touting this line. To my knowledge, Devlin & Emmerich have never cited Beast as a reference point for GODZILLA, and there's very little similarity between the two in plot, characters, or monster design/personality. GODZILLA 1998 is just a bad tongue-in-cheek Godzilla movie, nothing else.
Interestingly, I've also seen some of the English Godzilla "scholars" contest whether or not Beast had an influence on even the original Gojira. The timing is about right, but it's never been confirmed if Tomoyuki Tanaka actually saw Beast, or how aware he was of it. I know Ray Harryhausen considered Gojira a "filch" of the former, but that's not solid proof the two were connected.

Anyway, I'm hoping to see Minus One in a few more days. I'm impressed by how overwhelmingly positive the reception seems to be so far - Godzilla 2014 and Shin Godzilla had their fair share of detractors upon release, but EVERYONE seems to be loving Minus One.

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 01, 2023, 06:39:17 AMJust got back from seeing it in MXC.  Wow. It was pretty epic, no kidding. Story and visuals were great. I actually cared about the people this time too. There is a lot I'd discuss but not without spoilers unfortunately. I agree with just about everything others have said.  I will say there was some jerky fx work, may have been on purpose to simulate some movements in 54', lot's of call backs to other G-films too..one music selection kinda threw me out of the film for a bit though.  There were a couple times it felt more like a people affected by Godzilla vs a Godzilla film but that could be the intent anyway for this film. I went in pretty blind. Overall I'm thrilled with it and it was made even made even better seeing it on the big screen I can't say more without giving anything away.

A buddy of mine called it "Oscar Drama Vs Godzilla"...  ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: