You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Stan Winston & GARGOYLES

Started by dragon53, November 21, 2023, 04:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon53

TRIVIA---makeup and special effects designer Stan Winston and his Stan Winston Studio won Academy Awards for JURASSIC PARK, ALIENS and TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY. Winston started out as a makeup apprentice at Walt Disney Studios when he got his first job on the 1972 tv movie GARGOYLES in which a scientist and his daughter encounter a colony of deadly gargoyles in New Mexico.
Winston was assigned to design the masks for the background gargoyles and makeup artist Sonny Burnham, Jr. would design the mask for the gargoyle leader played by Bernie Casey. However, friction arose between Burnham and Casey, so Winston was chosen to apply Casey's makeup. Winston said, "Sonny was a wonderful artist, and he he had done a beautiful job sculpting the lead gargoyle. But because of this tension with Bernie Casey, it was decided that I would apply the lead gargoyle makeup on the set."
During filming, Winston asked Burnham if they would receive screen credit for the gargoyle makeup, "Sonny just shrugged me off and told me to talk to the producers about it. And so I went to them and said that I thought we should get screen credit for creating the gargoyles. Their response was, 'I don't think we can do that.' And I said, 'Well, then, I'm leaving. If I'm not getting screen credit, I'm not doing the work."
Producer Rick Rosenberg assured Winston the makeup artists would receive screen credit. Winston's demand for screen credit had unintentionally good results---only cast and crew members with screen credits are eligible for Emmy Awards. Consequently, with their screen credits on GARGOYLES, Winston, Burnham and makeup supervisor Del Armstrong received an Emmy. This helped launch Winston's career as one of Hollywood's greatest makeup and special effects designers.

Makeup and special effects designer Stan Winston and his Stan Winston Studio won Academy Awards for JURASSIC PARK, ALIENS and TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY.

Winston's first job was applying the gargoyle leader makeup to Bernie Casey in the 1972 tv movie GARGOYLES which led to his team winning an Emmy and helped launch Winston's career as one of Hollywood's greatest makeup and special effects designers.

Dynomikegojira

And here I thought we were talking about the show

Newt

I did not know this film existed! Here it is on the YouTube should anyone be interested:

https://youtu.be/UWaXbTC0c-U?si=SKFPC3sXCW2CrGX7

Blade-of-the-Moon

He also made a line of figures called Extreme Gargoyles.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.