You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

So there's a ceratopsian that was described this year called Gremlin

Started by Faelrin, November 26, 2023, 05:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

Quote from: Mellow Stego on November 29, 2023, 02:29:34 AMScientists having some fun with scientific names is nothing new. Sonic Hedgehog Anyone?
 I wouldn't want every animal named like this, but a few here and there doesn't hurt. Plus if it helps to get the public interested then that's a win to me.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 27, 2023, 05:37:58 AMJust wait for Pepsiosaurus and Verizodon lol
I wouldn't be surprised. Especially if they start funding digs.
There's also a fossil bandicoot named Crash bandicoot.

I've been reading up on glyptodonts lately, and some of their genus names are truly awful modifications of other genus names. For example, beginning with the perfectly respectable genus name Hoplophorus (Greek "shield bearer") we get the following names:

Parahoplophorus
Palaehoplophorus
Propalaehoplophorus
Parapropalaehoplophorus (ugh!)
Plohophorus (anagram of Hoplophorus)
Pseudoplohophorus
Plohophoroides

This is much worse than Gremlin, which is at least distinctive. Much of this nonsense is the doings of Ameghino, who also liked to create genera based on the full names of his peers: Thomashuxleya, Henricosbornia, Oldfieldthomasia, etc. More recent researchers of South American mammals have continued the tradition with Brucemacfaddenia and Federicoanaya. These are better than the suffix salads and gobbledygook of the glyptodont names, but not by much.

SidB

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.