News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 21, 2024, 11:11:33 PMPNSO even has warning over suitable over 14 and up.

These companies don't aim for kids. They aim for collectors.
Then why does PNSO keep saying "Dream and vision for children"? on the boxes of their figures?

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 21, 2024, 11:11:33 PMNobody puts this much effort on a toy if their main target can't understand or even care scientific accuracy nor quality.
The same can be said for Safari figures though.

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 21, 2024, 11:11:33 PMSo both quality and accuracy wise they can't be put in same standard of schleich or safari.
They can in the case of Safari.  I'm not sure why Schleich keeps being mentioned, they are notorious for producing some of the worst prehistoric animal toys ever.

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 21, 2024, 11:11:33 PMMore importantly HLG showed time after time they are able produce top quality toys with relatively cheap price tag. So why go backwards with this one?
Maybe to get more of a profit from it, as I was indicating earlier.  Or maybe because as has been mentioned it's a small figure?

Gwangi

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 21, 2024, 11:11:33 PMPNSO even has warning over suitable over 14 and up.

These companies don't aim for kids. They aim for collectors.

Nobody puts this much effort on a toy if their main target can't understand or even care scientific accuracy nor quality. Not to mention they are more expensive and less durable compared to the ones made for mainly kids.

They are called toy because they are made of plastic.

So both quality and accuracy wise they can't be put in same standard of schleich or safari.

More importantly HLG showed time after time they are able produce top quality toys with relatively cheap price tag. So why go backwards with this one?

PNSO explicitly and frequently claims that their products are for kids. They have cute little "how to draw" videos on YouTube, silly stories in the booklets that come with their figures, and then there's their slogans "dream and vision for children" and "models that accompany your growth". You can call them high end toys if you wish but they're still toys.

Generally speaking, Safari toys are as accurate or more accurate than PNSO's or Haolonggood's.

You're kind of reinforcing my own argument here. I'm saying that collectors shouldn't be so hard on HLG models because they're at the same price point as toys by Safari and Schleich while being better in quality. They're "high end toys" being sold at the same price as "kid toys".

Flaffy

I think it's fair to directly compare figures produced by the same company, especially those in similar size/price ranges. In this situation, comparisons between the Diabloceratops and the rest of HLG's amazing ceratopsians are pretty much unavoidable. With the most recent Kosmoceratops and Chasmosaurus being equally small yet having more refined paint work.

Like avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking said, the Diabloceratops isn't an objectively bad piece. It's just that HLG has risen the bar so high for themselves that a good looking figure may be overshadowed on the shelf by the great ones they've made. A similar analogy would be like the A+ kid in class getting a B+ on a test.

And yeah those overexposed lightbox promo pics certainly did the Diabloceratops no favours. It looks much better under natural lighting.

SidB

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 21, 2024, 04:20:14 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on June 21, 2024, 03:31:31 PMSurely no recent PNSO models fall in this price bracket?  At least not where I live.

Machairoceratops borealopelta pachyrhinosaurus tuojiangosaurus etc. 19 dollars with free shipping on aliexpress.

I bought my PNSO Ankylosaurus around that price.
Read the message from avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian  properly. It says RECENT. RECENT means RECENT.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: SidB on June 22, 2024, 12:59:24 AM
Quote from: ceratopsian on June 21, 2024, 03:31:31 PMSurely no recent PNSO models fall in this price bracket?  At least not where I live.

Machairoceratops borealopelta pachyrhinosaurus tuojiangosaurus etc. 19 dollars with free shipping on aliexpress.

Read the message from avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian  properly. It says RECENT. RECENT means RECENT.

You can't compare this diabloceratops to recent PNSO quality. Of course this is going to be cheaper. Old pnso is better comparison with rougher skin and lesser paintjob.

HLG's RECENT chasmosaurus is 12 dollars , Kosmoceratops 14 dollars.. They have better paint jobs. I don't know if the problem execution or decision but it went backwards. Just removing entire black dots and wiggles would make it more realistic. Subtle, maybe more boring but less artificial.

Turkeysaurus

Both promo pics.
Same size.
Same company.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quite frankly I prefer the Diablo lol

Gwangi

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the Diabloceratops. Normally I don't like the black squiggles but here they seem less random, less like an afterthought. They create a pattern and I think it looks good. The colors on the frill are striking. The blending of the colors from back to torso to belly also look great.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

This is getting quite tiresome, it feels like people are just searching for something to complain about lol. The figure is great and the paint job is excellent considering it is the smallest model HLG has produced so far.

thomasw100

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on June 22, 2024, 04:47:45 AMThis is getting quite tiresome, it feels like people are just searching for something to complain about lol. The figure is great and the paint job is excellent considering it is the smallest model HLG has produced so far.

It is equally getting tiresome that some people here are obviously on a crusade against any criticism and are taking snippets of posts out of context and create the image of someone being just negative. I for my part have expressed criticism of some aspects of that Diabloceratops, but also mentioned things I like, for example the orange color of the eyes and the more patchy striping pattern. But rather than engaging in a proper discussion of the pros and cons of a figure, it seems more important for some to discourage the expression of criticism.

thomasw100

Quote from: SidB on June 22, 2024, 12:59:24 AM

Indeed recent PNSO models have been all more expensive than Haolonggood models of comparable size, and this parallels a trend of PNSO of much improved quality (notably fineness of the sculpt and skin texture, also paint application) compared to their earlier models.

Turkeysaurus

At the end of the day, We all have different taste and standards. I found all those dark dots and wiggles overbearing the toy amateurish and distasteful. If i didn't know it's HLG, i would think it's a bootleg toy.

If you like it, I'm glad for you, it's not like we enjoy being dissapointed.

However this is not nitpicking. Expecting quality paintjob on a scientific model should be a standard thing.

Nitpicking would be complaining about color choice of a dinosaur. We criticize quality here.

Sim

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 22, 2024, 12:02:22 PMNitpicking would be complaining about color choice of a dinosaur. We criticize quality here.
There was some complaining about colour choices..

Pinbacker

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 22, 2024, 12:02:22 PMAt the end of the day, We all have different taste and standards. I found all those dark dots and wiggles overbearing the toy amateurish and distasteful. If i didn't know it's HLG, i would think it's a bootleg toy.

However this is not nitpicking. Expecting quality paintjob on a scientific model should be a standard thing.

Nitpicking would be complaining about color choice of a dinosaur. We criticize quality here.

The issue is that you go on and on about your disappointment, post after post. Like, we get it, you don't like this Diabloceratops. And again, you are critiquing a model based on a few promotional shots. I'd rather wait to have the model in hand or see a few professional reviews before I start complaining about "lack of quality".

thomasw100

Quote from: Pinbacker on June 22, 2024, 06:41:09 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 22, 2024, 12:02:22 PMAt the end of the day, We all have different taste and standards. I found all those dark dots and wiggles overbearing the toy amateurish and distasteful. If i didn't know it's HLG, i would think it's a bootleg toy.

The issue is that you go on and on about your disappointment, post after post. Like, we get it, you don't like this Diabloceratops. And again, you are critiquing a model based on a few promotional shots. I'd rather wait to have the model in hand or see a few professional reviews before I start complaining about "lack of quality".

I think that part of this reaction is that he is trying to defend himself against the notion of some people on this forum that one should not post (too) negative criticism. As you may have noticed, in general I am trying to post balanced comments which highlight positive and negative aspects of a figure and also try to reflect on factors that affect the quality of a figure like different budgets. But even I find myself in the spot of being the target of those who believe that criticism would not really have a place in this environment. The same repeatedly happens to those people who point out flaws in the scientific accuracy of figures. Some people seem not to enjoy an environment where free speech and honest expression of opinion thrive.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 22, 2024, 12:02:22 PMNitpicking would be complaining about color choice of a dinosaur. We criticize quality here.

Arent you the dude who hates blue
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on June 22, 2024, 10:50:26 PM

Excessive usage, yeah. I am aware it's nitpicking (or matter of taste) though because we don't know their colors. It's not a quality or accuracy fault.

Doyouthinkhesaurus Rex

I personally love this diabloceratops, and I definitely agree with the sentiment that we are in a true golden age of dinosaur collecting.

I do wish the colors on the diabloceratops were switched with the colors on the kosmoceratops though. I still love the idea of a more aggressively colored diabloceratops haha

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Pinbacker on June 22, 2024, 06:41:09 PM

So everbody can praise it based on the same promo pics i criticize but i must wait until holding in my hands to express my opinion because double standards?

This is exactly why it gone longer than i wanted to. Nobody had issue with my praising other HLG products.

thomasw100

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on June 22, 2024, 10:50:26 PM

When it comes to the usage of blue as the main body color of large dinosaurs (I am not referring to smaller dromaeosaurs), it will depend on whether one wants these figures and models to represent scientifically accurate or at least plausible reconstructions or pieces of art with considerable artistic freedom involved. For the former case, blue would not be a reasonable main body color (but certainly an option for highlights), whereas for the latter case blue would be perfectly fine.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: