News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on August 06, 2024, 02:24:20 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on August 06, 2024, 01:31:27 PMToday I'm forced to retire from my hobby.

Avenge this fallen comrad, go buy more toys.

Is there something we can do to help you?
Nah, government decided to put the final nail on the coffin. New custom regulations kill buying things from abroad.

I'll be here though , just not collecting anymore.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 06, 2024, 04:25:32 PMIf they could apply a wash or something to the lighter color ones to bring out the detail more they would look different and more realistic.

They usually look darker and better in normal light.

Gwangi

I'm a little torn on the Camarasaurus, and knew I would be from the preview poster. I consider Camarasaurus my favorite sauropod but I already have Safari's and the old Carnegie one. Do I really need a third when space is so limited? Decisions, decisions.  ::)

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on August 06, 2024, 10:27:35 AMCounter Nerd Reason Argument:

Green's head look oddly similar to Raphael from Teeneage Mutant Ninja Turtles thanks to its shape & red around eyes.

Very Niche and Locally Personal Nerd Reason:

The Green one looks strikingly similar to the 2019 repaint of Gary Staab's Camarasaurus at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science
Albeit with yellow dorsal stripes instead of spots (although I prefer that. Looks less diseased that way)

thomasw100

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on August 06, 2024, 05:59:39 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on August 06, 2024, 01:31:27 PMToday I'm forced to retire from my hobby.

Nah, government decided to put the final nail on the coffin. New custom regulations kill buying things from abroad.

Can people ship something to you as a gift?

Carnoking

Quote from: crazy8wizard on August 06, 2024, 06:25:16 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on August 06, 2024, 10:27:35 AMCounter Nerd Reason Argument:

Green's head look oddly similar to Raphael from Teeneage Mutant Ninja Turtles thanks to its shape & red around eyes.

Very Niche and Locally Personal Nerd Reason:

The Green one looks strikingly similar to the 2019 repaint of Gary Staab's Camarasaurus at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science
Albeit with yellow dorsal stripes instead of spots (although I prefer that. Looks less diseased that way)

Well, this might have just cinched it for me!

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Carnoking on August 06, 2024, 06:56:29 PMWell, this might have just cinched it for me!

I am a notorious sucker for figures that resemble museum displays (be it pose, color, or both) so the second I noticed the similarity I was sold!

Carnoking

I'm surprised I didn't make the connection. I was just there a couple weeks back checking out the work on Teen Rex and had to park in the garage. Came out right next to these statues and everything. Then again, I guess I don't often see the back of it.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on August 06, 2024, 06:41:38 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on August 06, 2024, 05:59:39 PM

Can people ship something to you as a gift?

No difference, if there is no price tag  they would give price of their own guess and from that price it gets tax or stuck at customs.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: oscars_dinos on August 04, 2024, 04:35:04 PMMy most anticipated figure, if its on par with the mamenchi then I will get it, it already looks good I just hope the face doesn't look cartoony, if it doesn't then this will be my second HLG figure
...well guess my fears came true... only partially tho, really I just think its the mouth. It seems too pronounced, like it looks like someone got a knife and carved in (deeply) a mouth and called it a day. I will need to see in hand pics and reviews and honestly if it isn't too bad or if it's the only flaw I see I am no stranger to customizing my figures. I think a thin strip of clay to thin out the mouth seam will make the figure look bit more natural. I also thought it was a no brainer going for the green but honestly that yellow is nice, again I think I need more pics and to see how it will look compared to some pnso's although just in these pics I think it is on the same level as detail as the HLG mamenchi which I have with my pnso's so... this might still be my next hlg figure in my collection just might need to customize it a bit.

Turkeysaurus

I think turquoise eyes and large dark pupils makes it cute, friendly but  perhaps a bit cartoony.

Sim

The Camarasaurus's mouth looks fine, it's just slightly open...

thomasw100

The zoomed in high resolution image that Turkeysaurus shared is quite interesting. The most striking feature is the much finer surface texture of the Camarasaurus head compared to some earlier Haolonggood sauropods. I really like that they have started to make the surface of the head finer now. This could be also due to improved molding techniques. I think that it is quite challenging to do high precision molding of large PVC objects, much more difficult than molding of ABS.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Sim on August 06, 2024, 08:43:00 PMThe Camarasaurus's mouth looks fine, it's just slightly open...
doesn't look open to me just pronounced, that's just my opinion either way

Primeval12

avatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard WAIT where were those statues? I didn't see them!

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Primeval12 on August 07, 2024, 01:02:40 AMavatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard WAIT where were those statues? I didn't see them!
They're right next to the doors of the parking structure, although they're in a pit so from sidewalk level you'd only be able to see the head and some of the neck.

thomasw100

I have been in touch with Lana Time Shop about one of my orders today. They told me that the Haolonggood Camarasaurus should arrive in their warehouse by Friday and shipping could then start soon thereafter.

Turkeysaurus

thomasw100

Quote from: oscars_dinos on August 08, 2024, 05:00:01 PMthat head sculpt :'(

This appears to be an unfortunate angle and illumination that highlights the molding lines. The side view that we saw earlier looked much better. I notice that heads of smaller Haolonggood figures seem to look generally better than those of the large sauropods and I believe that the molding process is an important factor in this. Maybe Haolonggood would need to invest into even better high precision molding machines to achieve the same quality of heads for large figures.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: