You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Have we been looking at Pikaia upside-down?

Started by Halichoeres, June 12, 2024, 09:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Pikaia has been regarded as a possible early chordate since at least the 1970s, but there are some odd topological features that arise from the typical interpretation, like the position of the gut relative to the notochord. Turn it upside-down and you solve some problems, although that creates its own oddities: the tentacles now point downward, and the feathery gill-like structures now point upward. They also claim that there is no notochord at all, but there is a dorsal nerve cord, which is interesting because

I'll be interested in seeing the responses to this. I'm a decent anatomist, but I don't know enough to be able to tell how good this line of argument is. The authors argue that what they interpret as the dorsal nerve cord is associated with small nerves in the head, which, you know, makes sense.

A visual summary of their hypothesis and reconstruction:

Open access: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2024.05.026
And a write-up in the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/11/science/pikaia-vertebrate-evolution.html?unlocked_article_code=1.zE0.Vyzm.ktoFhp3XTZjR&smid=url-share (this should get around the paywall, but I'm not certain of that)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bowhead Whale

Well, that is indeed an interesting question. Although, I don't think we have been looking at the animal upside down. According to my own experience, invertebrates like worms, slugs or onychophoras have a head that is smaller and thinner then their behinds. Not only that, but none of them has what you called a "post-anal tail"; that characteristics seems to be exclusive to the vertebrated animals. Slugs and Onychophoras have their antennas on their heads, thos appendices being pedonculed eyes. Why would is be different for the pikaia? The "antennas" can be very useful on a head, but I have no idea why those appendices would be put on a behind, if you see what I mean. What do you think?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Bowhead Whale on June 13, 2024, 09:48:21 PMWell, that is indeed an interesting question. Although, I don't think we have been looking at the animal upside down. According to my own experience, invertebrates like worms, slugs or onychophoras have a head that is smaller and thinner then their behinds. Not only that, but none of them has what you called a "post-anal tail"; that characteristics seems to be exclusive to the vertebrated animals. Slugs and Onychophoras have their antennas on their heads, thos appendices being pedonculed eyes. Why would is be different for the pikaia? The "antennas" can be very useful on a head, but I have no idea why those appendices would be put on a behind, if you see what I mean. What do you think?

Well, this study posits that we've been interpreting it upside-down, but not backward. I agree that the head end is still the head end, with its tentacles and everything. It just forces the reinterpretation of the various lengthwise smears of color that could be nerve cords, guts, notochords, etc., and puts the tentacles facing the ground rather than facing the sky (when the animal is oriented laterally).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

bmathison1972

Sorry I just saw this; I also posted on this today in a new thread. I looked but I must have missed your thread, Tim.

stargatedalek

The tentacles pointing down makes sense if they were sensory organs does it not?

Halichoeres

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 24, 2024, 11:20:27 PMSorry I just saw this; I also posted on this today in a new thread. I looked but I must have missed your thread, Tim.

No worries, I've done the same thing!

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 25, 2024, 07:33:34 PMThe tentacles pointing down makes sense if they were sensory organs does it not?

It doesn't not make sense, but I can imagine them being useful in either orientation.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.