News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Skeleton Casts

Started by DinoLord, February 11, 2013, 02:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

I've been thinking for the past few days and I figure if I ever become obscenely rich I'll get one of those replicas of a full dinosaur skeleton for my house. Probably a tyrannosaur or a Ceratosaurus. Surely I can't be the only person who's had this thought?

gorgosaurus

Nope, ofcourse not.
I have casts of the BMNH holotype skull of Baryonyx walkeri
http://gorgosaurus.deviantart.com/art/Repainted-BMNH-R9951-183092826

the CMN holotype skull of Nanotyrannus lancensis
http://gorgosaurus.deviantart.com/art/The-eagle-has-landed-142313274

and the ROM Gorgosaurus libratus.
http://gorgosaurus.deviantart.com/art/Gorgosaurus-skull-ROM1247-41400587

...  post-cranial skeletons to follow should I ever have the cash and the space.
Spike.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I always a life size dinosaur..never could afford it though. So I finally decided to make one. ;D

amargasaurus cazaui

I took that concept to the its logical conclusion. Rather than purchase a replica, I bought an actual dinosaur. Psittacosaurus is an availible species you can purchase , that is space friendly, and costs less than most smaller replica elements. Why buy a replica when you can own the real thing for less?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

I was never interested in life sized dinosaurs. I prefer my models to be in small scale, around 1/40 or so is my preferred size. I don't have space to put huge models, and I think that, if the sculptor is skilled enough, you can get just a many details in smaller scales as you can in bigger ones.

I don't collect to impress anyone else, just to please myself. And bones never really interested me. I prefer the dinosaurs to be fleshed out, to be honest.

DinoLord

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 11, 2013, 07:50:54 PM
I took that concept to the its logical conclusion. Rather than purchase a replica, I bought an actual dinosaur. Psittacosaurus is an availible species you can purchase , that is space friendly, and costs less than most smaller replica elements. Why buy a replica when you can own the real thing for less?

That may work well for smaller specimens, but I'm sure that a real Appalachiosaurus skeleton would cost a lot more than a replica (if such a specimen existed).  ;)

Also I figure that if I do eventually become obscenely rich enough to get a full-sized dinosaur skeleton replica then space wouldn't be an issue. I could have it in a collection room with all my dinosaur figures.

Thundercharge

I've had the thought occasionally as well. If I were to ever become rich to the point where money is no object , and I could pretty much buy whatever I wanted, I'd probably have a few skeletons, along with a big new house to fit them in. :D

Some rich people collect expensive cars, I'd have dinosaurs. :))

Click sig for my collection! :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

If your wanting a skeleton replica, just buy it piece by piece til you have the whole thing. A bit here a bit there..no problem. ;D

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.