News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

1/72 Alamosaurus

Started by Joel, February 17, 2013, 01:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel

Here is a 1/72 Alamosaurus I made, based off of Scott Hartman's skeletal restoration:

It is made out of super sculpty. I was trying to prime it grey, but someone switched the color coded cap. The details still show up, which is the important thing ;)

SBell

I thought you were going for a robo-dino look!

Joel

Quote from: SBell on February 17, 2013, 01:11:23 AM
I thought you were going for a robo-dino look!
Nah, he's more of a foil reconstruction :))!

Blade-of-the-Moon

tyrantqueen

Hey, this is really good :) I'd like to see more sculptures from you.

Do you have any tips for sculpting dinos? How long have you been sculpting?

Joel

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 17, 2013, 02:27:34 AM
Looks awesome !
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 17, 2013, 03:46:47 AM
Hey, this is really good :) I'd like to see more sculptures from you.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 17, 2013, 03:46:47 AM
Do you have any tips for sculpting dinos? How long have you been sculpting?
I can think of a few tips. First off, make sure your armature is as accurate to the source material as possible. I thought I could do most of it by glancing at the picture, but it turns out that I had to redo the head three times, and the legs four times before I got it right. Second, I followed Shane's example and completed one side at a time. To do the texture, I got a very small stick of wood, and drilled small holes of varying sizes into one end of it, and pressed it into the soft clay. I used a small amount of oil on the clay to alleviate most of the sticking, and cleaned the stick every so often. After it was covered with the texture, I used two methods to create skin folds. The first way was to use a needle (an exacto blade will also do) to etch in the wrinkles over the texture. I had to be very careful as to not disturb the existing texture too much. The second way was to roll the clay into long rods, and placed them in areas near the underside of the body, such as along the neck and torso. I used a clay smoothing tool to attach the folds, and then used the wooden texture applicator along the newly formed skin. I also used the needle to create additional wrinkles where appropriate. I also used a heat gun on some areas to create a more bumpy surface. The small pockets of air inside the clay will inflate slightly, giving it a richer surface. I hope this helps!     

Joel

Oh, and about your other question Tyrantqueen, this is not the first sculpture I have made, but it is my first completed one. I have posted pictures of my earlier sculptures on ver.1 of the forum; here is the link http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=art&thread=4247&page=1 .
I still have them, but I have put them on hiatus because I made the body before I figured out how to do the scales. I've tried applying new layers of clay and pressing in the scales, but my texture tool keeps peeling the clay off. :-[ When I figure out a new method, I'll resume work on them.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think you could actually sell this one if you wanted..maybe get it casted up as a solid piece ?

radman

Very nice!  Look forward to seeing some finished pix.  :)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Joel on February 17, 2013, 08:07:28 AM
Oh, and about your other question Tyrantqueen, this is not the first sculpture I have made, but it is my first completed one. I have posted pictures of my earlier sculptures on ver.1 of the forum; here is the link http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=art&thread=4247&page=1 .
I still have them, but I have put them on hiatus because I made the body before I figured out how to do the scales. I've tried applying new layers of clay and pressing in the scales, but my texture tool keeps peeling the clay off. :-[ When I figure out a new method, I'll resume work on them.
Oh, those look really interesting :) Thanks for sharing. I assume they were made using Super Sculpey?

Joel

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 17, 2013, 04:09:53 PM
I think you could actually sell this one if you wanted..maybe get it casted up as a solid piece ?
I'm going to cast this just to get one resin copy out of it for myself, because super sculpty is very brittle. If it were to fall, it would disintegrate into dust upon impact. As far as selling copies, I need to confer with Scott Hartman and ask what he thinks of it. I did use his restoration as a guide, so it's only fair if he gets a cut of each sale.
Quote from: radman on February 17, 2013, 04:34:27 PM
Very nice!  Look forward to seeing some finished pix.  :)
Thanks! As I was telling Blade above, I going to make a resin copy for myself, and then I'll post pics of the build up. I've never created a decent mold before, so it's going to be a little tricky (and messy).
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 17, 2013, 06:25:00 PM
Oh, those look really interesting :) Thanks for sharing. I assume they were made using Super Sculpey?
Yes, they are Super Sculpey. I've been thinking to start over and create other theropods (such as Yangchuanosaurus) in 1/15 scale, and use the texturing method I described above. What's holding be back is finding reliable source material; I'd rather go to the fossils themselves and get the data I need. That way, I can truly claim the sculpture as my own work. 

Simon

Joel - the Alamosaurus is absolutely fantastic - I only wish it was 1/40...as far as your earlier 1/40 theropods - if you were to finish them and have them cast, I would buy all 3 - regardless of whether they have scales or not ... unless you plan to redo them from scratch ...you are a very talented sculptor ....

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Simon on February 19, 2013, 07:38:32 AM
Joel - the Alamosaurus is absolutely fantastic - I only wish it was 1/40...as far as your earlier 1/40 theropods - if you were to finish them and have them cast, I would buy all 3 - regardless of whether they have scales or not ... unless you plan to redo them from scratch ...you are a very talented sculptor ....
I agree with everything you said.

Joel

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 19, 2013, 08:22:17 AM
Thanks you guys, that means a lot  ^-^
However, those earlier dinos I made are in 1/20 scale, but I suppose I could make some 1/40 dinos. Hmm, maybe I'll start with another Alamosaurus, and see where it goes from there. The plus side is mb-cg's wonderful models are in 1/40 scale from shapeways, and Krentz has his T. rex in that size too. There does seem to be potential in this.

dutchdinolover

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 19, 2013, 08:22:17 AM

I totally agree!

mb-cg

Congratulations Joel, it is a wonderful sculpture!!  :D

Joel

Quote from: mb-cg on February 19, 2013, 07:33:42 PM
Thank you sir, I appreciate it! I'm still thinking if I should do a 1/40 version, or create a new 1/72 sauropod, such as Brachiosaurus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Joel on February 20, 2013, 03:56:43 AM
Quote from: mb-cg on February 19, 2013, 07:33:42 PM
Thank you sir, I appreciate it! I'm still thinking if I should do a 1/40 version, or create a new 1/72 sauropod, such as Brachiosaurus.

1/40 always has my vote.. ;)

Joel

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 20, 2013, 05:13:49 PM
Oh really? Maybe I'll create a baby sauropod, in 1/72 Scale! MUHAHAHAHAH!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Joel on February 21, 2013, 06:14:54 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 20, 2013, 05:13:49 PM
Oh really? Maybe I'll create a baby sauropod, in 1/72 Scale! MUHAHAHAHAH!

Now what on earth would I do with that ? Start a dino collection for a mouse ?  lol  ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: