News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Keith Strasser Planet Earth Sculpture

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 07, 2013, 03:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

I guess there haven't been any updates with these huh? That Diplodocus looks awesome.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: DinoLord on January 02, 2015, 02:26:33 AM
I guess there haven't been any updates with these huh? That Diplodocus looks awesome.
Nothing so far...but maybe we'll hear something in the coming months.

Blade-of-the-Moon

If you want to reach Keith the best thing to do is call him I'm afraid.  He phoned me a couple times in December but I didn't check the messages til last week.  I shot him an email, the easiest way to reach me( no cellphone,not a phone person) but haven't heard back.

tyrantqueen

Actually I'm hoping we'll get an update from Dan regarding the situation with him selling some of the Strasser models in his store, whenever that may be.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Keith mentioned in his message he had just finished a big project in Texas so maybe he's close to getting ready to cast some stuff. If I recall correctly he only casts items once a year or so.  I think the biggest issue is he needed funds to get going. Making up a bunch of kits costs you money unless you already have buyers lined up. Print on demand is the way to go but it's time consuming, and trying to work it into a busy schedule isn't easy.  The thing to do for a store would be to buy pieces up front in a quantity so the artist has money for materials and time, but then the store is stuck trying to get it's return on investment. I'm sure Dan can comment on the status of the deal, if he hasn't heard back now seems like a good time to contact Keith.

tyrantqueen

I have the Strasser kit I really wanted (the Dilophosaurus) but there are still a couple I wouldn't mind owning (Pachyrhinosaurus, Suchomimus and the Allosaurus)

So basically Dan is a middleman between the customer and the artist? I assumed that he owned at least a few molds that he had purchased from the artists. I'm sure that was the case with the recent Rader kits. I never really thought about it before.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 02, 2015, 06:25:09 AM
I have the Strasser kit I really wanted (the Dilophosaurus) but there are still a couple I wouldn't mind owning (Pachyrhinosaurus, Suchomimus and the Allosaurus)

So basically Dan is a middleman between the customer and the artist? I assumed that he owned at least a few molds that he had purchased from the artists. I'm sure that was the case with the recent Rader kits. I never really thought about it before.

I always wanted the Diplodocus myself.

do believe that is how it works for several artists whose items he carries. He owns the molds for his store exclusives I would venture to guess.   I'm almost certain Dan doesn't do any molding himself..so he at least has a caster that he orders from.

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 02, 2015, 05:24:43 AM
I think the biggest issue is he needed funds to get going. Making up a bunch of kits costs you money unless you already have buyers lined up. Print on demand is the way to go but it's time consuming, and trying to work it into a busy schedule isn't easy.  The thing to do for a store would be to buy pieces up front in a quantity so the artist has money for materials and time, but then the store is stuck trying to get it's return on investment.
If he's gonna do that rearing Triceratops I'll buy one up front. Everyone seems into that Diplodocus. Maybe we should do a poll for those of us that will actually buy these, so that there is a known number of customers for each model.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

tyrantqueen

Sounds like a good idea to me. Model kits need love too :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

If anyone wants to do it, by all means! Might help, at least as far as the forum is concerned.

triceratops83

Put me down for the Trike, then. I'm always happy to pay straight away, so if he's going ahead with this, can somebody let me know? Oh, I just realised that an Ouranosaurus resin kit available on Ebay recently was his. Was bugging the heck out of me, it's very nice. What other models of Strasser's is everyone else interested in?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Dobber

My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'll shoot Dan a message and see if he's heard anything.

tyrantqueen

I was about to start a poll but I saw that it doesn't offer enough options for the amount of kits he has available. Even if I ignore the life sized ones, there are just too many. I might be missing something here, I don't make polls very often.

I got my information from here btw: http://www.gorbs.com/strasser/dinosaurs/index1.cfm

DinoLord

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 03, 2015, 06:57:43 PM
I was about to start a poll but I saw that it doesn't offer enough options for the amount of kits he has available. Even if I ignore the life sized ones, there are just too many. I might be missing something here, I don't make polls very often.

I got my information from here btw: http://www.gorbs.com/strasser/dinosaurs/index1.cfm

Thanks for the link; those are great! The Allosaurus and Amargasaurus are really nice.

triceratops83

Always makes it so much easier ordering through Dan's. Can't get more trustworthy and reliable. Good for someone like me too who doesn't use social media, so can't order through Facebook and whatnot. Can't wait to see the Planet Earth Sculpture catalogue pop up there.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Dan said he's just waiting to hear back from Keith..so whenever he's ready I guess.

Paleogene Pals

I once had the Ourano but idiot me sold it. I wouldn't mind having one again for Martin to build.

triceratops83

Some of these models are really big. The Lambeosaurus is over 70cm long. I might wind up getting that one, too. I like my hadrosaurs big!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 04, 2015, 07:09:54 AM
Some of these models are really big. The Lambeosaurus is over 70cm long. I might wind up getting that one, too. I like my hadrosaurs big!

You might be interested in Shane's upcoming Hypacrosaurus then. ;)
  He's said it's around 26" over the curves.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: