News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Zbrush Dinosaurs and 3D Prints

Started by Gorgonzola, March 11, 2013, 02:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Impressive variety ! I can hear my wallet crying in drawer now. ;)

tyrantqueen

Just wanna say that it's great that you're offering so many choices of pose, Gorgonzola. People like choice. Choice is good.

Jetoar

Very nice parasaurolophus, i like the pose  ^-^
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Gorgonzola

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I was hoping to have these up on the store today so I could start selling them, but I have reevaluate how hollowed they need to be.  The first 1/40 model I uploaded came back with a price range of $79 for WSF to $123 for Frosted Detail!  So back to the modeling program to fix, fix, fix...
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

Gorgonzola

A quick update: I was able to reduce the price down to something reasonable that's in line with the Carnotaurus pricing, but now I'm wondering if anyone would be a willing volunteer to test print some of the 1/40 and 1/72 scales just to ensure the wall thickness I have for these models is feasible.  I believe they should be fine, but I'd rather a few people try them out to be sure rather than just throwing them up without any clue.

Gorgonzola

Taking a little bit a risk with this, but seeing as the test model orders were placed a few days ago and I've yet to hear anything from Shapeways, I think I'm in the clear.  Last time they reported issues to me within a day of placing test orders, so I'm running on that theory.  Anyway!

I'm proud to announce the Parasaurolophus herd is now available on Shapeways in 1/72 AND 1/40 scales!

Both Radman and Tyrantqueen were kind enough to be guinea pigs for the test prints, so hopefully once those are finished being made and shipped we can see what they look like, but in the meantime if you want to start making your own hadrosaur herd, you're more than welcome to.

Link to the store: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/gorgonzola

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it may take a few minutes for the models to appear as available on the store.  If you don't see them initially, just wait about 10 minutes then check again.

Gorgonzola

Since the Parasaurolophus herd is now finished, here's a preview of the next model I'm working on, Cryolophosaurus.

It's still in the box modeling stage, and it's still very early on (so finer details and proportions haven't been fully established yet), but it's coming along nicely.

radman

jtn144

Sounds good, Cryolophosaurus doesn't get much love. What poses do you have in mind for this?

Gorgonzola

Not sure yet.  The only one I have in mind so far (out of whatever number of poses I settle on) is this neat pose I saw two birds performing as a challenge to each other.  Wings back, chests puffed out, standing as tall as they could be with their heads pointing straight up in the air and their necks extended as far as possible.  Think of it as the bird equivalent of two guys staring each other down going "You want to start something?  You want to start something?"  I thought that was a neat aggression pose that I could try out and could lead to some model interactivity.

Beyond that, open to suggestions, since poses are farthest from my mind at the moment with this guy - still have A LOT to do to finish him out.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Maybe a laying or sitting pose ? Maybe a playful puppy type of one ?

Gorgonzola

Yeah, that's certainly a possibility.  I do like the idea of having some therapods in non traditional stances, so a laying/sitting pose is certainly on the table.

Got some more work into it these past two lunches - I probably won't be able to get much more work into it this month, but I'll see what I can squeeze in here and there.  Also, going off the reconstruction and some reference I have, are the toes really that long?!  I feel like I may have pulled the big middle one out too far (What is that, digit III?) or the side ones not far enough.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The middle toes is a bit longer..maybe a little shorter than what you have unless your counting the claws as well.  You may need to lengthen the side toes a little.

tyrantqueen

Hi guys,
I received my 1/40 Para today, I am very happy with it.

One odd thing, a seamline on the hindquarter area?

I'm not too fussed, since I could sand it away if it bothered me too much ;) But it's just something I thought I should point out, being a guinea pig and all :)

Thanks for all your hardwork, Gorgy :D

wings

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 11, 2013, 03:11:17 AM
The middle toes is a bit longer..maybe a little shorter than what you have unless your counting the claws as well.  You may need to lengthen the side toes a little.
How did you come to this conclusion?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: wings on April 11, 2013, 02:42:06 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 11, 2013, 03:11:17 AM
How did you come to this conclusion?

Just looking at the rough design and some pics of a fossil mount and fleshed out pics. Just my thoughts of course..feel free to weigh in.

Gorgonzola

Hmmm, that seamline is quite peculiar  :-\

It definitely didn't exist on the model, though I'll double check it to be sure. TQ, could it just be leftover support wax? One of the Carnotaurus models I had printed had chunks of the stuff that I had to get off with my fingernail. Also, does the seamline wrap around the model, or does it have a definitive start and stop? I'd like to know more so I can see if it's a model issue or print issue.  Glad you like the model though, it looks great!

tyrantqueen

I tried scraping with my fingernails to see if it was that support wax stuff, but it doesn't budge. It is made of the same material as the rest of the model :/

The seam does continue over the hips and to the other thigh, but stops at the belly.

It's really weird, I looked at it closer and it appears to have grooves....

Could just be that I was unlucky this time...we'll have to see if other buyers experienced the same thing :)

Gorgonzola

I double-checked the model, and it checks out fine.  So the best guess I have is that it may be a printing error?  I couldn't find anything resembling a seamline or grooves on the model where you indicated.  It's extremely weird though, I wonder if Radman's 1/72 models have the same issue.

radman

I received my 1:72 models and they all look great, no flaws that I can tell.  Will post some pix hopefully today, otherwise this weekend. ^-^

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: