News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Zbrush Dinosaurs and 3D Prints

Started by Gorgonzola, March 11, 2013, 02:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek Sohoza

I think the prone pose would be good as is if you had the legs a little more flat so it doesn't seem like so much weight is being put just on the feet. Maybe just bring the tarsals down so they're touching the ground?

Battatitan

Wow - incredible Parasaurolophus herd! The variety of characters and poses of each individual is unique and something which should be captured more often :) It's a shame that so few herd collections like this are available.
As for your Cryolophosaurus - any pose is sumptuously welcomed! In my opinion they all look great  :))

Gorgonzola

Much bigger fan of these two iterations - tip my hat to Blade for the picture inspiration!

IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

tyrantqueen

Awww, they're so adorable <3

Just wondering, would you ever considering taking private commissions for Shapeways models?

Derek Sohoza

Those two are incredible. How soon will they be available?

Gorgonzola

TQ:Thanks! I've considered it, though at the moment I have quite a few projects on my plate that I don't think I can devote the time I'd want to one.  Plus after I put these Cryolophosaurus models up I'm going to take a break and do some studying so I can make better models.

Derek: I'm hoping within roughly 2 weeks.  I'll announce on here when they're available.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gorgonzola on June 16, 2013, 06:21:10 PM
Much bigger fan of these two iterations - tip my hat to Blade for the picture inspiration!

Glad to have helped ! :)

I like both of these..they'd make a great pair as well. ;)

jtn144

Are you planning to put most of the Cryo models for sale? The standing, running, scratching, looking up, prone, lying poses? Would make one hell of a pack.

Gorgonzola

I'll most likely throw all of them up for sale, seeing as they're already made and just need to be hollowed out.  Plus I like all of the poses well enough that I'd like to make them all available.  The only one that won't be available is the original prone position, since I just didn't like how it turned out.

jtn144

Sounds good to me, although it's sad the original prone figure didn't work out. I'm sure you will work it out with future models. How long are these Cryo's in 1/40 scale, ballpark guess?

Gorgonzola

I haven't measured any of them yet, but the neutral pose is 7.5" long at 1/40 scale (going off of a length of 25 feet, if the 21 measured feet of the type specimen is a subadult as reported), so they'll swing around that figure, depending on their poses and such.  I believe the 1/72 scale measures out to 4.16" long for the neutral pose, so again, the models themselves will be around that figure.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gorgonzola on June 17, 2013, 03:36:03 PM
I haven't measured any of them yet, but the neutral pose is 7.5" long at 1/40 scale (going off of a length of 25 feet, if the 21 measured feet of the type specimen is a subadult as reported), so they'll swing around that figure, depending on their poses and such.  I believe the 1/72 scale measures out to 4.16" long for the neutral pose, so again, the models themselves will be around that figure.

7" or so sounds good by me. :)

Bokisaurus

Gorgonzola

Quote from: Bokisaurus on June 23, 2013, 07:42:46 PM
One of two painted ;D
*snip*

AWESOME!  :o

Love the colors on that fellow, I can't wait to see the other one!

A quick update on the Cryolophosaurus models - I should be getting my test print of one of the 1/40 models by either this week or early next week, I reckon.  In the meantime I have about half of the 1/40 scale processed and up on Shapeways, and I hope to finish out the rest of the 1/40 scale later this week and get them up as well.  I also figured out how to properly split the crest, so all the Cryolophosaurus models will not have a uni-crest brow, lol.  The test print I ordered though doesn't have the fix in place since I figured out the solution after I ordered it, but at least for everyone else it'll be correct  ;D

I'm hoping I'll get the 1/40 up and available first, followed by the 1/72 scale.  I'm having to take a few extra steps this time around to keep the detail in these guys as I hollow them out, so prepping them for print is taking longer than it did previously.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Longer wait times are fine if in the end it provides a better product. Thanks for keeping us updated as well !

Gorgonzola

One more quick update: I believe my test print should be shipping out today, so hopefully I'll get it in a few days after that.

As for the rest of the Cryolophosaurus models, I have them all uploaded to Shapeways, though they aren't for sale yet.  I wanted to look over my test print just to approve it before I make them available, though I'm pretty sure they'll be fine.

The only thing I want to bring attention to everyone is regarding the 1/72 scale (so this might not apply to many interested parties) - it will most likely NOT be available in WSF.  The only reasoning for this is because I worry that they're small enough that WSF would obliterate any detail.  Also, it seems the openings will have to be too big for the models if I wanted to print it in WSF, so I'd rather go with the higher capable materials than try to wrangle with WSF's restrictions.

Gorgonzola

I'm pleased to announce that the 1/40 Cryolophosaurus models are now available for purchase on my shapeways shop!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/gorgonzola

I got my test print in the other day and it looks great, and I'm hoping to have a photo up by this weekend once I clean up the residue on it and prime it.

To give everyone a sense of scale, it's a bit larger than my 1/72 Carnotaurus, about 7.5" in the neutral pose (1/72 scale Carnotaurus is roughly 5" in the neutral.)  The fellow is a small therapod for sure!  I'm planning to take a photo of him next to Krentz's 1/40 T. rex for size comparison, since both are the same scale.  Available in WSF, BSF, FUD, FD, & White, Black, and Transparent detail.

Now, for anyone that is looking for it in 1/72 scale, I have the pages ready, but I'm hoping I can have someone volunteer to do a test print of one of them just so I can see how it looks.  The Cryolophosaurus in 1/72 scale is SMALL - the neutral pose is about 4.16" long, so the actual models for sale swing a little above and below that in measured size (they're still proportionally the same, however.) For that reason I'd like someone to test out at least one model just to make sure it works out fine before I release it to the wild.  The 1/72 scale is only available in FD and FUD materials.  For anyone interested, please PM me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's great you got them up ! Just added some 1:40s to my cart..now to find some spare funds..lol

radman

These look so awesome - I can already imagine what Martin or some other skilled artist could do with these!
Great work!
;D

Gorgonzola

So I just got a few e-mails from Shapeways this morning saying somebody's order of 1/40 Cryolophosaurus models were rejected because of thin claws and tails.  I've already contacted the buyer and let them know I'm on the case, but I also wanted to send a general heads-up to everyone else here that I'm just going in and doing a blanket fix to all the models instead of taking it on a case-by-case basis.  Hopefully I should take care of all of them in a day, two days tops, but in the meantime I'd advised to just wait a little bit longer while I sort out these issues with Shapeways.

I do wish they would inform me when I upload the model the first time around, instead of waiting until I get a test print then canceling production on stuff, but thems the breaks. Sorry for the trouble everyone!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: