News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Zbrush Dinosaurs and 3D Prints

Started by Gorgonzola, March 11, 2013, 02:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

I received my 1/40 Amarga today, but I'm afraid I have some slightly bad news :-\ The end of the tail has broken off. I was not informed of this by Shapeways, so I don't know if it occurred in transit or it happened at the factory. Here is the Amargasaurus with its broken tail tip:

However, it's not all bad news, because I think I can fix this break with some superglue.

Nebuloid

Jealous of your Amargasaurus ! When will it be available on shapeways, because I dont see it yet.

Gorgonzola

I mentioned this to you in a PM, but I'll state it here for everyone else, TQ:  From what it looks like, I'm suspecting it broke off in transit.  That area of the tail is about 3-4mm in width, so it should stand up to the rigors of cleaning the model.  It's spindly enough though that I was worried how well they'd ship without any breakage.  This might just be a risk with sauropod tails.

Nebuloid:  It should be available soon!  I'm just waiting to hear on the test prints for the 1/72 scale once they come in so I can make whatever adjustments I need to.

Also, just wanted to mention this: Whoever just ordered the 1/40 Cryolophosaurus standing (Shane?) in the detail material - I got an e-mail from Shapeways stating that it's not fit to print in that material.  To be honest, this suites me just fine because trying to accommodate the Detail material's specifications is even more restricting than the WSF restrictions, so I'm disabling it as an option on the 1/40 Cryolophosaurus models. 

Sorry for the inconvenience, I really don't like it when bumps like that pop up in what should otherwise be a smooth operation.  The Frosted Detail and FUD materials though are roughly the same price, and in my opinion would yield a much better model since it can support better detail and thinner specifications.  So whoever did order that Cryolophosaurus, I would highly recommend getting it in either of those.
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

darth daniel

Wow the Amargasaurus is beautiful! :) And also one of my favourite dinos... I hope you´ll release several versions in 1/40, they would make a great herd.

I´d not be too much worried about the broken tail, should be easy to glue. Or, if the tail´s diameter is really 3-4mm you could even try to drill a 1mm-hole in each fracture face to insert some wire for extra strength. But that might be unnecessary and overkill...

tyrantqueen

QuoteI mentioned this to you in a PM, but I'll state it here for everyone else, TQ:  From what it looks like, I'm suspecting it broke off in transit.  That area of the tail is about 3-4mm in width, so it should stand up to the rigors of cleaning the model.  It's spindly enough though that I was worried how well they'd ship without any breakage.  This might just be a risk with sauropod tails.
Don't worry, I'm not too upset about it. It should be an easy fix, and it sort of comes with the territory when you buy these models :)

Gorgonzola

I was honestly surprised to find my test print come in perfectly, because I really did assume that tail would be a source of frustration.

Just as a heads up, the 1/72 test prints have been ordered, so providing no errors come up in the processing stage, these should be available in a week, two weeks at the most.

Gorgonzola

Okay, I'm back from vacation and a friend's wedding, so now I can go ahead and announce that the 1/40 AND 1/72 Amargasaurus models are now available on my Shapeways Store!

I wanted to make sure I was in town and available in the event anything went wrong with the models, so even though I had finished outputting these models weeks ago, I was hesitant releasing them earlier without me being around to take care of any issues.

You can find my store here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/gorgonzola

This is also the last batch of dinosaurs for the year - I still don't mind making a larger scale of the Amargasaurus available, as well as possibly a bust, but for now I'm going to take a break from releasing dinosaurs and I'll pick it back up in the new year.  Any suggestions are always welcome!

Nebuloid

Great , thanks for letting us know ! I was checking out shapeways for it almost every day. Now adding it to my cart...

amargasaurus cazaui

A pair of the Amargasaurus 1/72 test prints with a Kaiyodo Brachiosaurus for scale.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gorgonzola

Amargasaurus, those look fantastic! Looks like they printed out perfectly. Will that be their base once Martin paints them up?

Balaur

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gorgonzola on November 25, 2013, 04:00:08 PM
Amargasaurus, those look fantastic! Looks like they printed out perfectly. Will that be their base once Martin paints them up?
I actually have a third print, the rearing pose which did not want to stand as well. Once the three are painted, they will get a larger base for the trio, and this base is already back underneath the Kaiyodo Brachiosaurus that Martin custom painted that I used for scale comparison.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gorgonzola

I just got a notification from Shapeways that my 1/40 Cryolophosaurus laying model can't be printed because of one of the toes are juuuust under their minimum thickness guidelines. I always wish these things would be found sooner, but you work with what ya got. I'll get this model fixed and updated this week and will post an update once I do.

Gorgonzola

Just an update!  I've corrected the issue on the 1/40 Cryolophosaurus laying model and also an issue with one of the Amargasaurus 1/40 models (Walking 3). Those should both now be available for order once again.

If any further issues crop up with other models I'll get them fixed ASAP.

Bokisaurus

Can't wait to get the Amarga, so awesome! I had to wait till payday ;D

postsaurischian

Quote from: Bokisaurus on December 08, 2013, 12:29:32 AM
Can't wait to get the Amarga, so awesome! I had to wait till payday ;D

It's tailor-made for your paint-jobs :).
I also finally ordered me one.

Gorgonzola

So now with the T. rex unveiled and received warmly, I've been noodling around with a Nasutoceratops model since November/December.  I'd been going slow on it namely to give myself a break, and because I've been trying to figure out some new stuff in Zbrush.

Namely, stuff like this:

Looks like I'll be able to make some of the larger sauropods much sooner than I thought!

tyrantqueen

Blade-of-the-Moon

pascosaur

I do hope you're gonna succeed with your new method
I cross my fingers &  wish you luck
btw here are some pictures of a fellow of yours:

The proud and glorious Parasaurolophus (1/40)

(sorry the scenery is a little bit weird)

and now a sonic fight between two prehistoric roosters:

good work Gorgonzola 8)

sorry for the mistakes :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: