News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Zbrush Dinosaurs and 3D Prints

Started by Gorgonzola, March 11, 2013, 02:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Great interview, Andrew. Thanks for the mention, as well.

mammoth

Quote from: Gorgonzola on June 18, 2014, 03:57:08 PM
Hey everyone!  No new dinosaurs to show yet, and I have nothing new to report on the Nasutoceratops (though it's still coming along in production) but I wanted to share something neat: my first podcast interview!

Listen to me ramble about dinosaur sculpting, and learning in art in my weirdly nasally voice. I give a shout-out to the Dinosaur Toy forum and a few of my favorite paleoartists!

http://www.pencilkings.com/andrew-sides/

Great interview Andrew, it was inspiring hearing about your thought process in regards to art and growing as an artist.  Your latest work is inspiring as always, your new rendering passes look amazing.

Blade-of-the-Moon

EmperorDinobot

Gorgonzola

Thanks everyone!

Here's something I've noodled with for a couple hours this week - wanted to try my hand at sculpting wings and all the challenges that come from them. Dunno if it'll make it to production or not as the thickness of the wing membrane is certainly something that will be contentious, but it would be nice. Gonna try separating it out to a male and female version as well, but I'm currently trying to get the sweep of the wing right.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I love pterosaurs but the wings drive me nuts..almost as much as ceratopsian heads.. ;)

tyrantqueen

Are you going to add fuzz to the pterosaur? It would be cool to see a Larry Felder styled fuzzy pteranodon.

Gorgonzola

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 27, 2014, 08:26:35 PM
Are you going to add fuzz to the pterosaur? It would be cool to see a Larry Felder styled fuzzy pterandon.

That's the plan! Will be interesting to see how I should best execute it. I figured it'd be a great learning experience for wings and making fuzzy coverings, haha.

Patrx

That illustration is gorgeous! I love the coloration and the way the light interacts with the pycnofibres.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Patrx on June 27, 2014, 09:48:33 PM
That illustration is gorgeous! I love the coloration and the way the light interacts with the pycnofibres.
I loved his book, In the Presence of Dinosaurs. He doesn't seem to be very active these days, though.

Gorgonzola

Been busy with lots of non-dinosaur stuff, so I hadn't had much chance to work a whole lot on the pterosaur. But here's where I'm at with it right now - I'm having difficulty at the moment finding some good resources to study any sort of proposed musculature for the wings, so that's been the main hold up, otherwise I would have started to take this more towards refinement at this point.

I'm planning to do a female version as well, since I figure that can open up some interesting pose ideas.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Z-Ray

I found Mark Witton's book Pterosaurs, increadibly helpful when working on mine, I payed about 20 bucks for the Kindle version.
also useful is http://pterosaur.net/anatomy.php

Other forum users gave me lots of help in my thread http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2162.0 (shameless plug)
and if you find anything useful  it would balance all the help I got from raiding this thread for help with the Parasaurolophus.
My Favorite Dinosaur Over The Years.
1988: Dienonychus - 1998: Pachycephalosaurus - 2008: Carnotaurus - 2018: ?

Gorgonzola

Z-ray: Yeah, that pterosaur website is tops. I kinda wish they had a good top and bottom splayed view of what they think the muscle attachments were, but I'll take what I can get.  I may have to check out Mark Witton's book too at some point.  But I haven't had much time lately to work on dinosaur sculpts for funsies...

BUT! I am excited to announce that my second resin kit is available through Dan's Dinosaurs - Nasutoceratops!  You asked for it, you got it, in 1:15 scale splendor. I thought you'd all be curious to see photos of the 3D master print, and the final build-up done by none other than Martin Garratt.  I've also included the color scheme Dan and I gave Martin to use as a jumping off point, which made seeing the final product pretty thrilling for me.

You can find the Nasutoceratops over here: http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/nasutoceratops-resin-kit-by-dans-dinosaurs/

dutchdinolover

reinier zwanink

amargasaurus cazaui

It is a gorgeous model, and quite detailed. Is the running pose what was made then? From my understanding of Ceratopsian leg posture and what not a run like this would not seem possible....The rib cage would interfere with the humerus in its movement . Unless the rib cage were somewhat slenderized, allowing more motion...another possibilty
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gorgonzola

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 23, 2014, 10:35:33 PM
It is a gorgeous model, and quite detailed. Is the running pose what was made then? From my understanding of Ceratopsian leg posture and what not a run like this would not seem possible....The rib cage would interfere with the humerus in its movement . Unless the rib cage were somewhat slenderized, allowing more motion...another possibilty

Humerus? Do you mean the femur Amargasaurus? That's more or less the reason that leg looks like it only goes forward to a straight vertical at best, any further and he'd have to start sucking in his gut, as I found out when I started posing him, haha.  I figured it'd never be a full run, maybe a trot or him quickly turning around...my main concern was trying to get some dynamism in him at the time so it'd be an interesting model to look at.

Bokisaurus

Amazing figure, but unfortunately way out of my budget >:(
Maybe it can be released as a regular, smaller Shapeway figure in the future ;)

Gorgonzola

Quote from: Bokisaurus on September 24, 2014, 01:56:33 AM
Amazing figure, but unfortunately way out of my budget >:(
Maybe it can be released as a regular, smaller Shapeway figure in the future ;)

Down the road I'll  be putting out 1/40 and 1/72 figures of the nasutoceratops (in different poses from this one), but it'll be awhile because I'd like to let this one have some breathing room for a bit.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: