You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Aaron Doyle's dinosaur models (battle-brak on the old boards)

Started by Aaron Doyle, March 19, 2013, 05:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Doyle

Quote from: radman on May 23, 2013, 06:07:59 PM
My order wasn't cancelled, but I did get my 1:72 quetz with most of the long toes and fingers broken off - they weren't even in the bag so it must have happened earlier.  I'm still mostly happy with the model, but do you think I should ask for a refund?

I think you should.  Stories like this upset me.  Someone shipped it knowing they had broken it.  There is no excuse for that sort of thing.  I do my best to make sure designs will work, they pass their automated tests, and mine came out fine.  I can continue to refine and improve these, but the fact that ones are being sent out broken is upsetting me greatly.

postsaurischian

I have all four new models (the larger versions in WSF) and not one of them has any issues.

I always complained when I got a broken model from Shapeways and I always got a full refund (credit advice).

amargasaurus cazaui

Radman, take pictures of the model, and the packing and box if possible. Then open a complaint. They will ask for the pictures. They want the pictures of box and packing to make sure it was not damage in the shipping process itself. This is how they explain most claims despite its being obvious that is not the issue. They will likely then offer to reprint the model free for you. In the case of my Yinlong, they instead accidentaly reprinted Aaron's Psittacosaurus, and then sent it twice no less, so read carefully each response they send you to be sure they are reprinting the correct model, etc
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

I have the Quetzal in 1/40 and it was shipped without any issues. I have never had a broken model, but I guess I am just lucky in that respect.

Wasn't the 1/20 Velociraptor removed from Shapeways because of a similar problem with wall thickness? It seems the smaller you go, the worse the problem gets.

It's funny because David Krentz prints his work on an absolutely tiny scale (1/144) but I've never heard anyone make complaints about his stuff being damaged :-\ Many other artists (Manuel Bejarano, Angie Rodrigues) also make smaller stuff without any problems. Very odd.

amargasaurus cazaui

It depends sometimes on the material. If the detail is higher than WSF like my Yinlong, it does happen. Incidentally that model was Manuel's work and still broke in printing..so his models are not immune from Shapeways poor handling either.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

jtn144

I must say, I just got Aaron's 1/40 quetz in the FUD material with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I also have several of MB-CG's & Gorgonzola's models all in the FUD or FD material that came intact with no breakage.

amargasaurus cazaui

It is odd how it seems hit and miss then. I have yet to order a model above WSF in detail that came unbroken and most likely in printing. To date that is two models. In the WSF material I have had zero breakage, and scored seven models no issues. If scale is the issue, my yinlong and psittacosaurus were both 1/12 that broke. In the WSF I have two pieces at 1/144, 1 piece at 1/40, and four in 1/12.

ITdactyl

Aaron's 1/72 Quetz, hand painted with Tamiya Acrylics (with the tail of David's Kosmoceratops).  I took this photo before the finishing touches; still don't have the time to take proper pics of the final paint up.  Scheme might be too cliche but anyway....

Now, if Aaron releases the flying version, I'd weep.  The customs taxes were a nasty surprise and may prevent future shapeways purchases for me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

tyrantqueen

Looks very nice :)

Custom taxes for a 1/72 model? I didn't even get any for my 1/40 one... :o

postsaurischian

The Quetzalcoatlus looks nice. I love Aaron's models! Martin has also just finished mine :).

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 29, 2013, 08:29:02 AM

Of course you don't. I guess you get your Shapeways models from Holland.
There is no import sales tax within the EC.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 29, 2013, 09:38:32 AM
The Quetzalcoatlus looks nice. I love Aaron's models! Martin has also just finished mine :).

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 29, 2013, 08:29:02 AM

Of course you don't. I guess you get your Shapeways models from Holland.
There is no import sales tax within the EC.
Correct, but isn't there a Shapeways store in the US? They don't need to order from the Netherlands.

Unless ITdactyl is outside of USA and EU?

postsaurischian

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 29, 2013, 10:33:39 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 29, 2013, 10:22:12 AM
Unless ITdactyl is outside of USA and EU?

ITdactyl is from the Philippines.
Oh, I guess the custom tax makes sense then :(

Sorry to hear of your predicament, ITdactyl. I wasn't trying to be smug or anything, sorry if it came off that way :S

ITdactyl

off topic (sorry to hijack your thread Aaron):  No worries.  Yeah, I'm from the Philippines.  I usually get items shipped from the EU or US, but these are small packets, so I'm usually charged only 0.9 USD as "tax".  But the shapeways items came in a big UPS box.  I originally paid 41 USD for the quetz and kosmo plus shipping.  I ended up adding another 43 USD for all additional charges.  Delivery guy told me that's usually the case when it's a ups or usps package.  Oh well.

back to topic:  I was worried that the fingers would break off during transit, but like I said, the quetz and David's kosmo were packaged in a BIG box with lots of support.  Don't worry about the wings people, they're of the right thickness and the folds and curves are very realistic.  There are also (it seems) air sacs along the arms which makes them bulkier and not just skin and bones kites of doom (and goes with current thinking about pterosaurs).

The only issue I have is probably a printing issue with shapeways.  The left side of the face is totally devoid of detail compared to the right side.  And the upper beak seemed shaved off, so in the unpainted version (sorry, I don't have pics), it looked like he (the quetz) had a longer lower beak.  I think I'll call him The Chin.  I cheated with paint to bring the details back (and give the illusion of a more proportionate beak).  This isn't really a big complaint and doesn't detract from a great model.

If Aaron releases the flying version and or a threat-display version (crouching, neck slightly bent, screaming! wink2+nudge2), I think I'll likely risk the killer taxes again to get those.... and his yutyrannus.

tyrantqueen

QuoteThe only issue I have is probably a printing issue with shapeways.  The left side of the face is totally devoid of detail compared to the right side.  And the upper beak seemed shaved off, so in the unpainted version (sorry, I don't have pics), it looked like he (the quetz) had a longer lower beak.  I think I'll call him The Chin.  I cheated with paint to bring the details back (and give the illusion of a more proportionate beak).  This isn't really a big complaint and doesn't detract from a great model.
I think I already talked about something very similar to this in our Shapeways thread. One side of the models have very obvious ridges (like the ones you'd find on a contour map) and the other side is completely smooth. It is a bit annoying but if the model has enough layers of paint, they become less and less noticeable.

ITdactyl

BTW, thanks for the compliments tyrantqueen and Blade.

I was also told (in fb) that the body seems too long compared to other 3d models (dino revolution, wwd 3d).  I didn't even notice, 'cause I liked the proportions.  If the weather permits, I'll post better pictures.

postsaurischian

>  1:40 Pachyrhinosaurus in WSF, painted by Martin Garratt

Aaron Doyle

I recently finished this up as a surprise for a good friend of mine.  You probably recognize the color scheme from her painting which was posted earlier in this thread.  I wanted some feedback but she hasn't received it yet so I'm kind of hoping she doesn't read this forum ha ha.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Wow..I would totally buy this.  I'm certain your friend will LOVE  it ! :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: