You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Aaron Doyle's dinosaur models (battle-brak on the old boards)

Started by Aaron Doyle, March 19, 2013, 05:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

:) Cool! It's a wonderful model.
Mine has totally different colours ;D. I'll show it soon.

What material is yours, Aaron?

Aaron Doyle

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 04, 2013, 09:46:17 AM
:) Cool! It's a wonderful model.
Mine has totally different colours ;D. I'll show it soon.

What material is yours, Aaron?

Mine is in WSF.  I think it's plenty detailed though.  I was surprised how much detail appears after priming it.  I always assumed WSF was much smoother and less detailed because it sucks up so much light and obscures the detail.  After two coats of primer it looked like a different model.

tyrantqueen

Ooooh, pretty :) I admire your sculpting skill as well as your painting.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Is this the larger version you were working on ?  I seem to recall you were aiming to do one a bit bigger ?

Aaron Doyle

Thanks everybody!  I'm relieved it came out alright.  It's been ages since I've painted a model and it was also my first time seriously using an airbrush so I was pretty worried.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 04, 2013, 05:01:51 PM
Is this the larger version you were working on ?  I seem to recall you were aiming to do one a bit bigger ?

This is just my shapeways model.  I was aiming to do one bigger, but I'm still searching for a viable way to have it produced. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Aaron Doyle on September 04, 2013, 05:28:40 PM
Thanks everybody!  I'm relieved it came out alright.  It's been ages since I've painted a model and it was also my first time seriously using an airbrush so I was pretty worried.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 04, 2013, 05:01:51 PM

This is just my shapeways model.  I was aiming to do one bigger, but I'm still searching for a viable way to have it produced.

Ah okay. I was waiting to pick up that version. Maybe Dan at Dansdinosaurs.com could assist you getting it made ?

Aaron Doyle

radman

Gorgonzola

Nice!  I always liked that one for the filter it's got going on in its mouth.

Are you still working through Shapeways, or did you find another production method?  I remember you having some frustration with them when it came to some of the more delicate parts of the models.
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: radman on September 18, 2013, 02:26:10 PM
Ooh, a Pterodaustro, way cool!!!

My thoughts exactly.  I've always wondered why these guys get so few replicas..I've certainly got to have one !

tyrantqueen

Yep, good ol' bristle mouth ;)

I believe it is going to be on Shapeways (correct me if I'm wrong)

Actually, I originally commissioned this Pterodaustro, but Aaron Doyle decided to just take the idea and make it publicly available to everyone :)

postsaurischian

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 18, 2013, 08:30:20 PM
Wonderful! Is this going to be a Pterosaur series :)?
Sorry if it sounds like I'm speaking for Aaron, but I think this was a one-off. But he mentioned that he got Witton's pterosaur book, so maybe there could be more pterosaurs in future?

Aaron Doyle

Hey everybody,

First of all I am still going through shapeways.  It's frustrating but they still seem to be the best option for smaller pieces like these.  To be clear it is not just that they have issues printing fragile pieces that upsets me.  What does frustrate me is that they will print a piece successfully 15 to 20 times and never say a word then turn around and tell me it is unprintable.

I don't really plan to do a Pterosaur "series" but there are more on the way.  As far as pterosaurs go I hope to do a Pteranodon next, but I have 3 dinosaur sculpts I'm going to finish up before getting to that.

Here are some pictures of the final pose.

Let me know what you think

tyrantqueen

It looks very beautiful to me...but I'd like to see what Wings has to say on this model 8)

Aaron Doyle

thanks tyrantqueen!

I've had this idea for a while for a Gorgosaurus with a lion-like mane of feathers.  It's something I doodled a while back and thought it would make a cool sculpt.

postsaurischian

Blade-of-the-Moon

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

You're spoiling us ;D

Is this one going to be a print? :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: