You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Aaron Doyle's dinosaur models (battle-brak on the old boards)

Started by Aaron Doyle, March 19, 2013, 05:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

QuoteOkay, I can understand asking if the artist wants a guinea pig when they release a picture that they're working on; or not sure that they'll actually release. But when Mr. Doyle posts an image of a new model that he is selling, asking to be a guinea pig is simply asking for a free model. That goes against the entire point of making these models. If you actually want to support the artist, buy the models. But don't just ask for free ones! Of course, I could be way off here, and Mr. Doyle, if you're okay with it, by all means, correct me. But that is just my opinion.
I think you might be misunderstanding what a "guinea pig" means ;)  To offer to be a "guinea pig" just means offering to be the first person to spend money on an untested model. More often than not, this is to get any flaws in the model fixed before it's offered to general sale. Very often the order will get cancelled because of walls being too thin etc., so the artist may need to go back and fix those errors. It's not free, and often ends up costing a little more in the long run.

I usually volunteer because I like supporting Shapeways artists, that's all :) Not 'cause I think I'm going to get free stuff. Every single model I've posted on the Shapeways threads and on this forum has been paid for with my own money. I think the Pterodaustro was cancelled at least 2 or 3 times before it was ready to be sold on Shapeways.com.

Unless I'm misunderstand you somehow, and in that case, I apologise. All credit goes to Aaron Doyle for letting us hold a little piece of his talent on our hands ;D

amargasaurus cazaui

Tyrannt queen is on target there. I sometimes offer to be the guinea pig myself for various models. The main advantage to doing so is that you get the model itself a bit sooner and with mine at least they generally have to travel to Martin for painting and basing so it means I tend to have it back sooner. It is not a free ride and the model still has to be paid for to Shapeways.They could care less if it is a test print or a private sale for a single model, they will get paid. And sometimes they cancel the order several times as she stated. As the artist thickens and manipulates the sculpt it can then incurr more charges.
The other factor to helping the artists test the models is that i am sure it can get quite expensive for them to test each one, at each size level and what not. We tend to ask alot of them....multiple poses, multiple sizes and a plethora of species. I feel that we have some artists in the forum who tend to listen and do things for the forum that are requested. I know personnally at least that Manuel sculpted a Yinlong model, and put it up there in two poses at my requests and urging. He also altered his Paddock model so I could have one for my Psittacosaurus display. Aaron Doyle completely revamped his Psittacosaurus model and verified several points using pictures from the skeleton I own, then created four poses largely at my request. I was even allowed to help select the poses. Gorgonzola, recently added an Amargasaurus to his profile and a few poses that I among many others had asked for. Will others purchase those items ? I am sure of course, but nothing I asked for is likely to sell at the rates and volumes of the old standbyes like Tyrannosaurus, or Stegosaurus. Yet they still make the effort and even more than that, these guys listen and try and do what is being clamored for . When they then need someone to act on that, I do help . It has little to do with getting anything free.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gorgonzola

Don't want to derail Aaron's wonderful thread, but I just wanted to support what amargasaurus and TQ said - they are immensely helpful when volunteering for test prints.  If I had gobs of money, I would happily do it myself (and I do still try to do at least one test print so I can get an idea of size and if there's anything immediate that DOES need to be thickened or manipulated without question), but when you put out even 2 poses of the same animal it gets cost restrictive to go through and make sure certain poses print fine and all that.

An example being the 1/72 Cryolophosaurus - I had issues with the 1/40 based off erroneously assuming the test print being okay would print the others just fine, and I got burned for it when I kept getting rejections later on.  Amargasaurus was super helpful in testing the 1/72 for me and taking some of that cost off of me, and he got some (relatively) cheaper models sooner as a trade off (I don't like to put markups on the test prints because it's a favor someone is doing for me.)

Ideally you'd sculpt with the restrictions in mind and double check and triple check everything digitally, but ultimately the weirdest things slip by you and you won't know until you get a test print.
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Thank you to all who responded, and I am really glad to be wrong. Thanks again!
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

dinocat

Glad to be a test subject/guinea pig. Seems I have been a few times anyway with prints failing. But it's cool. Looking forward to the Nasutoceratops.

There was a seller offering a Prenocephale, which I ordered. Print failed and they haven't fixed it.

tyrantqueen

I can't seem to find the new preening velociraptor in the Mesozoic Miniatures shop :o Was there a problem with the model? Just curious :)

Aaron Doyle

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 10, 2013, 06:39:31 AM
I can't seem to find the new preening velociraptor in the Mesozoic Miniatures shop :o Was there a problem with the model? Just curious :)

Yeah there were a few issues with it I have to work out.

tyrantqueen

Small but beautifully formed: 1/40 Natsutoceratops in WSF polished :)

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

I've been admiring that one for a while. Nice catch, TQ.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

dinocat

Aaron Doyle

Quote from: dinocat on December 18, 2013, 02:20:46 AM
Aaron, Will this be available soon on Shapeways?

Yep just put it up.  If anyone is interested you can purchase the Nasutoceratops in 40th scale here:

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1536911/nasutoceratops-1-40-scale-model.html?li=aeTabs

:)

Zhuchengotyrant

Hi everyone my 1:72 Nasutoceratops came. It came out perfect ly. Full story on the shapeways thread
-Zhuchengotyrant

amargasaurus cazaui

Cardoyle !!! Sculpt by Aaron Doyle, paint and base...Martin Garratt per my commission
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Aaron Doyle

Here's a new work in progress.  Not sure when I'll have time to finish this guy, but thought I'd share.  :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Cool ! Styracosaurs are one of my favorite ceratopsians !

Aaron Doyle

Update on the Styrcosaurus sculpt.  I still have to pose and add final touches to the sculpt.

John

Very nice!This model really does justice to my childhood favorite ceratopsian.I look forward to seeing this available on Shapeways. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Aaron Doyle

thanks!

Here is a quick update.  It should be finished soon.

John

Again,very nice!
I hope that this will be available in the frosted ultra detail material. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: