You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Aaron Doyle's dinosaur models (battle-brak on the old boards)

Started by Aaron Doyle, March 19, 2013, 05:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 16, 2013, 09:40:55 PM
I generally do not paint my own models for obvious reasons. (generally inept) There was just not enough time to send this little guy to Martin or have someone else paint prior to my upcoming show however so....
I always wondered if it was the sculpt of the Carnegie model or the paint App, that was more bothersome. Or suppose Carnegie had chosen to use Aaron Doyle's sculpt instead?
The pair make a nice what if, or pose the question..which is more accurate ?

The Carnegie Psittacosaurus was a great sculpt and accurate for when it was first released,but Arron Doyle's model in my opinion still beats it.Not only is Aaron's sculpt excellent,it has the advantage of being 15 years newer,so it is much more up to date now too.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Aaron Doyle

Thanks guys.  I like the paint job on the Psittacosaurus!  Despite the differences, when painted up like that, they actually go together pretty well.  It kind of look like the material sucks up the paint though?  Maybe these require some sort of primer to keep it from looking chalky in places? 

here is another render of the Yutyrannus sculpt while I wait on shapeways to print the test model.

I tried to give it loose, long, fluffy feathers similar to those of ratites.  I feel that's a reasonable modern analog to what is present in the fossil.

tyrantqueen

QuoteThanks guys.  I like the paint job on the Psittacosaurus!  Despite the differences, when painted up like that, they actually go together pretty well.  It kind of look like the material sucks up the paint though?  Maybe these require some sort of primer to keep it from looking chalky in places? 
Actually primer isn't 100% required, because the material is pretty coarse already.

The most important thing to keep in mind when painting WSF is that if you apply enough coats of paint, the coarseness disappears and becomes much smoother. Basically you have to keep "feeding" the material until it can't suck up any more paint ;) ;D

tyrantqueen

Oohhh that Quetzalcoatlus (?) is beautiful :o It's good to see a pterosaur species, they don't get much love on Shapeways sadly.

It'll be the same scale as the Pachy and Yutyrannus, right? :)

amargasaurus cazaui

I really like that one Aaron, are you considering more than one pose for the model ? That piece has some amazing detail to it.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Cool Quetz ! Reminds me of Shane's 1:15 piece.  That's great it will be in 1:40 .  A flying pose would great as well if possible.

I would love if someone made a Cearadactyl. Really wanna recreate the scene from the JP novel. ;)

wings

Quote from: Aaron Doyle on April 20, 2013, 04:56:45 PM
not a Dinosaur but still cool

Please see ("EXTENT OF PTEROSAUR FLIGHT MEMBRANE"http://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app56/app20090145.pdf)

Basically the idea of the paper is that whenever you see the wing impression of a specimen, this must represent the minimum wing size in life. The material can only shrink or lost rather than expand or gained. Perhaps you should have the wing membrane trailing down to at least the lower leg (rather than stopping half way on the thigh).

Another interesting point is that maybe the "fifth toe" (the outer most, smallest toe on the foot) is buried within the heel pad. You can see this on figure 3g and 4g from Elgin's paper (above link). This condition is also mentioned in Frey et al. 2003  paper (see below):

"... azhdarchid-type pterosaur from the Crato Formation. In these specimens the heel pad capped metatarsal V..."

Don't think there is many if at all positively identified azhdarchid-type pterosaur footprints with the "fifth toe" impression.

jtn144

This is nice! I agree, a second one in a different striding pose would be great for dio's. A flying version would also be well-received.

Aaron Doyle

Thanks guys, I do plan on doing other poses.   ;D

As for the wings and feet, maybe this is more appropriate?

Aaron Doyle

The Quetzalcoatlus is now available in both 1:40 and 1:72 scale.  I ran a test print and everything seems fine, but if there are any issues let me know. 

1:40 Scale:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1053406/quetzalcoatlus-1-40-scale-model.html

1:72 Scale:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1058225/quetzalcoatlus-1-72-scale-model.html

tyrantqueen

Drat, I would purchase it if I wasn't broke at the present time ;D Will we be getting the Pachy and Yutyrannus soon too?

Aaron Doyle

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 24, 2013, 03:11:46 AM
Drat, I would purchase it if I wasn't broke at the present time ;D Will we be getting the Pachy and Yutyrannus soon too?

They should be available soon.  I'm just awaiting confirmation that they printed alright.  They had apparently printed but then went back into "production."  I'm guessing that means they had lost the initial models or something since they have always informed me if there were breaks or couldn't be printed for whatever reason.

Aaron Doyle

The Pachyrhinosaurus and Yutyrannus models are now available in both 72nd and 40th scale. 

Pachyrhinosaurus:

72nd scale:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1041799/pachyrhinosaurus-1-72-scale-model.html

40th scale:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1020097/pachyrhinosaurus-1-40-scale-model.html

Yutyrannus:

72nd scale:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1020000/yutyrannus-1-72-scale-model.html

40th scale:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1020035/yutyrannus-1-40-scale-model.html

Thanks everyone for your patience while I was testing these.

postsaurischian

Aaron Doyle

My apologies to anyone whose orders are being cancelled.  I took the time to test print all of the models in the smallest sizes and most limiting materials.  My models turned out fine, as did several other prints on all of them, but now once again shapeways is rejecting my models based on wall thicknesses.  This is despite the fact that none of the models they rejected have walls thinner than the guidelines.  Rather they are claiming that they are not cleanable due to fragile areas.  I've heard from two people that they received broken models already which has me even more upset.  This indicates that their policy is to send out broken models on the first run then shut down production on them if there were issues.  They should take responsibility and inform designers the first time something breaks and shut down production then, and certainly not ship out broken models.  This is very upsetting because I took extra measures and made some people wait weeks to get models they wanted only to have them turn around with the same issues.  I will try to fix the issues they've pointed out and get the models back up, but I suspect they will find more "problems" the next time a worker breaks these in handling (and there are bound to be breaks from time to time given the fragile nature of the material).  I'm looking into other options for releasing models in the future.  Again I'm sorry to anyone who was shipped broken models, that is inexcusable.

radman

My order wasn't cancelled, but I did get my 1:72 quetz with most of the long toes and fingers broken off - they weren't even in the bag so it must have happened earlier.  I'm still mostly happy with the model, but do you think I should ask for a refund?

The Digging Dutchman

you can always try, if you don't shoot, you'll always miss.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: