News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Asylum's "Age Of Dinosaurs"!

Started by scallenger, March 23, 2013, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

so you are the director? nice to meet you :).  i havent been able to catch the film on syfy  so i cant give an opinon on how i like it.  is it slated for dvd?

MontanaJoe

Takama:  A pleasure to meet you right back.  :)   It's out on DVD and BluRay now (at finer stores like Target and Walmart, also on iTunes, Amazon Prime, etc.) but it will air Thursday, August 8th on SyFy U.S. (last I was told, anywho).  And, yeah, they kept accusing me of being the director so I played along till the movie was finished.  They even still put my name on it.  Ha, fooled them!  ;)  JJL

MontanaJoe

Okay, so a few questions for the future which, while not strictly collectible or palaeontological in nature, may have a reason to be here.  :-)  Obviously, as noted, we blew it on the pronated hands.  Check, look to be more accurate on that in future.  So, what other things would you like to see in future dinosaur films?  Any dinosaurs under-represented that deserve their "shot in the stars"?  Any behaviours that would be cool to see (or you're tired of)? Do people watch dino films to see mean vicious dinos galavanting about and destroying things or more character driven pieces like Dinosaur?  In visual effects, are there things we should try harder to get right (keeping in mind "low budget" vs. Spielberg budget?  Not saying I'll have the power to DO anything but certainly stuff to take into consideration when and as able.  I may ask more questions as I go, about to start VFX on a "hungry dinosaur chomps civilians" flick so this is of interest to me right now.  Feel free to be as complete or succinct in expressing your dino wants and needs filmically as you wish.  Thanks!  JJL

Takama

Ok, first for the science stuff.  All raptors must be featherd compltely.    The raptors from jp are very out of date for there scalyness. What I mean by compltly featherd is that it must be coved like this

A good raptor to use that's obscure would be Baluar

there is also a cuzen of T-Rex called Yutyrannus and its the largeist featherd dinosaur found so far(some people evean think that this is a sighn the the old tyrant king himself should be featherd too)

Here is the Yutyrannus, could make an obscure villian
In terms of what I like to see in a film. Well I like action but also a complex story behind it like with war, family, death

John

Quote from: MontanaJoe on June 11, 2013, 05:31:07 AM
Okay, so a few questions for the future which, while not strictly collectible or palaeontological in nature, may have a reason to be here.  :-)  Obviously, as noted, we blew it on the pronated hands.  Check, look to be more accurate on that in future.  So, what other things would you like to see in future dinosaur films?  Any dinosaurs under-represented that deserve their "shot in the stars"?  Any behaviours that would be cool to see (or you're tired of)? Do people watch dino films to see mean vicious dinos galavanting about and destroying things or more character driven pieces like Dinosaur?  In visual effects, are there things we should try harder to get right (keeping in mind "low budget" vs. Spielberg budget?  Not saying I'll have the power to DO anything but certainly stuff to take into consideration when and as able.  I may ask more questions as I go, about to start VFX on a "hungry dinosaur chomps civilians" flick so this is of interest to me right now.  Feel free to be as complete or succinct in expressing your dino wants and needs filmically as you wish.  Thanks!  JJL
Maybe armored herbivores like Styracosaurus could get a turn at running amok.Maybe have a character coldly point out that the only real difference between a Styracosaurus and a Tyrannosaurus is that the former just doesn't eat your corpse after it kills you. :)
What if unlike the gentle giants in the Jurassic Park movies, the temperament of a giant sauropod was more like an enraged elephant that decides to chase down and crush whatever was unlucky enough to be near it?
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

amargasaurus cazaui

I think, just from my viewpoint that another aspect of the movie that troubled me was indeed the lack of herbivores. Also why I found some relief at least in the Pteranadons, although they are not herbivores. Not everyone that loves dinosaurs is thrilled with the theropods, or particularly impressed with the constant rehash of head eating monsters from the planet mesozoic.
  You chose to place your movie last time within a city...so the visual potentials are very solid....a racing triceratops fencing with a taxi cab.....a lumbering sauropod window peeking some fourth floor window, or a stegosaurus perhaps enraged and battling an annoying ice cream truck.  You could have a herd of duckbills stampede down 52nd street in rush hour...imagine the destruction. Or an anklyosaurus going nose to nose with a battle tank !!!There are things that could be done to incorporate them , but without the menacing teeth and diet for fleeing humans it seems they never get the shot.
  It just for my eyes wears thin the enormous amount of effort that goes into movies featuring the theropods. If you walk through a modern day jungle there are physical laws at work that suggest a ratio of perhaps ten prey animals to every predator, which should then translate the same bias to the fossil record. It would be far more likely to find or be able to obtain material to create a herbivore over a carnivore given the mathematics.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Takama

Yes. Herbovoires need attention too.   Obscureitys from me are.     

Diabloceratops (devil horned face, but don't make the apperance in film reflect that)

Amargasaurus

here is one that can give a nasty bite to a charector

Heterodontosaurus (with vicius caninies)

Gigantospinosaurus

Gryposaurus

Pinacosaurus

scallenger

People may balk at me for saying this, but I wish someone would do a modern re-telling of this particular film: Journey to the Beginning of Time (aka Cesta Do Praveku). It's about 4 boys who are on a boat that takes them back through time. It's such a simple story, and at it's time it was pretty accurate. Part of it's major appeal (besides the animations) was that it had a great deal of atmosphere in each time period and featured quite an array of creatures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA3WxzCQ6HY

I think a re-telling of this simple tale could be fun. Hell, I think Asylum has already done things like Journey to the Center of the Earth, and countless other re-tellings, right? It would be cool to have another dinosaur film like this that features other creatures from the past. It's a real fun concept. Perhaps the 4 boys could even be exchanged for a family so it could be a more family-oriented story? But I wouldn't turn it into a military-type story or some kind of other thriller ABOUT the human characters. It should be about the journey. I think it would be a lot of fun. Could film it probably all within California, even, in places like Sequoia National Park, Joshua Tree, any beach really, etc.

Otherwise, this same kind of concept could be applied to a scientist who travels through time purely for science and tries to come up with some artifacts to prove how viable the time machine is at aiding scientists. He could go back to various time periods, like in the concept above, but do so to collect things in a really cool mobile time machine that can go underwater, float up into the trees, etc. In each time something dangerous happens. But then something could go wrong, like it could malfunction like in the Ice Age, and a Saber Tooth can break in and wreck havoc on it, etc. Of course in the end he finds a way back, and he realizes time travel is too dangerous and destroys all the evidence. This is actually based on a story I wrote in Junior High, believe it or not, haha. It's very simple, but a lot of fun I think, and would make for a good breezy film for something like Asylum. ;)
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: John on June 11, 2013, 07:50:46 AM
Maybe armored herbivores like Styracosaurus could get a turn at running amok.Maybe have a character coldly point out that the only real difference between a Styracosaurus and a Tyrannosaurus is that the former just doesn't eat your corpse after it kills you. :)
What if unlike the gentle giants in the Jurassic Park movies, the temperament of a giant sauropod was more like an enraged elephant that decides to chase down and crush whatever was unlucky enough to be near it?

Styracosaurus is a good one..I recall how in planet of the Dinosaurs a ceretopsian impaled a guy..made me wince each time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAB6LeIDyxc

The opening music was a bit creepy as well.

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 11, 2013, 06:40:00 PM
Quote from: John on June 11, 2013, 07:50:46 AM

Styracosaurus is a good one..I recall how in planet of the Dinosaurs a ceretopsian impaled a guy..made me wince each time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAB6LeIDyxc

The opening music was a bit creepy as well.
I remember that movie! MontanaJoe,whatever you do,don't make one little mistake that "Planet of the Dinosaurs" did...don't kill off the hottest girl first!!! ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

scallenger

I LOVE "Planet of Dinosaurs". It's the Swiss of cheesy films: it's got so many holes, but you still can't help but savor it! Endless scenes of rock climbing. Horribly bad synthesized music that almost sounds like electronic sound effects half the time. Acting that is either wooden or overblown- and nothing in-between! Messages about what it is to be human that are so forced that you'd think it was some new kind of religion. The only saving grace of this film, in terms of actual quality, are the dinosaur special effects! They are rather good! And they are actually spread throughout the film rather fairly, with quite a few different types of dinosaurs!

To enjoy this fantastically bad film even further, try it out with Rifftrax (from the makers of Mystery Science Theater 3000)!

http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/planet-dinosaurs#ooid=oxZDZpNDpDiBSTdjQQlEs_TomKEbY93V
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Blade-of-the-Moon

John , I am rather surprised they killed off the " hot blonde " character first..so odd for a film of the time.

It is a fun movie with lots of cool dinosaur effects..the T-Rex is so badass..he actually scares or thrills you a bit when he comes on screen. I believe the dino sculpts were done by Stephen and Sylvia Czerkas. There is even a tribute to Ray Harryhausen  in there.. ;)

Primeval12

Did spinosaurus have a big part in it (I saw a spino in the trailer)

Takama

Quote from: primeval12 on June 16, 2013, 12:21:03 AM

Idk since I haven't seen it.   But here some notes for montana joe. 
Spinosaurus is as cliche as t rex. And its not as badass as a certain film depicts it as it eats mainly fish.  Sure it ocasinaly ate other small cretures(humans can be among them).   It just become overrated in my opinon.     Carcarodontosaurs are more badass in my opinon

Blade-of-the-Moon

Spinosaurus in general still look really cool. We've received a lot of positive comments on our new Suchomimus ..the kids love her.

John

Quote from: primeval12 on June 16, 2013, 12:21:03 AM
No,not really.Through most of it there were a Ceratosaurus,some juvenile Carnotaurus and several Pteranodons,but toward the end there was a scene in the factory where the dinosaurs were grown showing hundreds more dinosaurs in the making.Naturally,something went wrong and these dinosaurs escaped too.It was in this new group that we would see the Spinosaurus amongst MANY more. :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.