News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Ice Age Giants

Started by scallenger, May 08, 2013, 08:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

I am not a UK resident either, but I found this episode very well done. The animation was top notch and I was utterly shocked how realistic those scenes where. The creatures only appeared to set examples of what the past was like, and unlike the Discovery channel thankfully, they did not replay the same animation clips over and over again. It turns out that the animation and CGI was made by The Mill, which did the animation for Doctor Who, Torchwood, and Primeval Series 4 and Series 5. Those there very good moments of extreme realism in Primeval, so I am glad The Mill was behind this. Sadly, I believe a few months ago, they went out of buisness and closed their doors forever. Still, they left with the most realistic depictions of Ice Age animals I have ever seen! I can't wait till next week!  :)

EDIT: Never mind, there still in production. Silly me!  :P

radman

Interesting show and worth a look.  But there's only about a total of 5 minutes or so of CGI creatures spread throughout the hour program.  What there is, however, is very well done.

Yutyrannus

Here is a screenshot of the sabre-tooth from the first episode.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Gwangi

I just watched it and really enjoyed it. The animals were fantastically rendered, the best I've seen for any program concerning prehistoric creatures. The information presented was fascinating as well. I thought I would already know everything they would be talking about but I was proven wrong, I learned a few things watching it which is rare.

Yutyrannus

Land of the Cave Bear airs tomorrow! I can't wait to watch it! By the way, all of Land of the Sabre-tooth is up on YouTube now.

Balaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 25, 2013, 06:07:14 PM
Land of the Cave Bear airs tomorrow! I can't wait to watch it! By the way, all of Land of the Sabre-tooth is up on YouTube now.

Can't wait either! Just to tell you, you don't have to watch the episodes in parts, like Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. There is a channel, (I forgot the name) that uploaded the whole thing in one part.

I can't wait to see the cave bear vs. the cave lion in hd!  :)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on May 25, 2013, 07:27:02 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 25, 2013, 06:07:14 PM

Can't wait either! Just to tell you, you don't have to watch the episodes in parts, like Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. There is a channel, (I forgot the name) that uploaded the whole thing in one part.

I can't wait to see the cave bear vs. the cave lion in hd!  :)
I know, that's the one I was talking about. I happy I don't have to wait for all the parts to be posted. :)

Iguanocolossus

I wanted to love this series, I really did

:(

I'm rather heartbroken really. I had just high exceptions.

The failure is in the editing, the writing, and the presenter.  We've got great scientists, great CGI (okay, the glyptodonts were awful), and great specimens and science. But it just doesn't come together. The segments are barely related to each other, there's too much time set on scenery and trivialities, and the CG segments are probably 2 minutes total in the entire episode. The host is terminally uninteresting. She's making this fascinating stuff absolutely dull. I should not be checking my watch during a palaeo program.

It's a tragedy

Balaur

Quote from: Iguanocolossus on June 05, 2013, 03:32:42 AM
I wanted to love this series, I really did

:(

I'm rather heartbroken really. I had just high exceptions.

The failure is in the editing, the writing, and the presenter.  We've got great scientists, great CGI (okay, the glyptodonts were awful), and great specimens and science. But it just doesn't come together. The segments are barely related to each other, there's too much time set on scenery and trivialities, and the CG segments are probably 2 minutes total in the entire episode. The host is terminally uninteresting. She's making this fascinating stuff absolutely dull. I should not be checking my watch during a palaeo program.

It's a tragedy

I have to disagree with you. The editing was good, the writing was good, and I actually liked the presenter. The glyptodonts were not that bad. I don't want to get into an argument. To each his own, I guess.

scallenger

While I have enjoyed what I have seen of this show, and think it is a really good educational bit of programming (which, what else can one ask for in the end?), I think it's initial marketing was a bit misleading. That first trailer consisted nothing but the CGI portions, which were (and still are) amazing to see, and definitely sold my interest in the program, as intended. But at the same time, it made one think the whole program would be much like that trailer... like it really was the next "Walking With Dinosaurs" kind of show, where we would be immersed in their world with perhaps narration, maybe a talking scientist or two. But the real show is nothing like this at all. I never felt immersed in their world at all, despite the incredible CGI work. It's too infrequent. There is no story for the creatures, or character really. But we also don't really even get to observe them that much. It's mostly centered around the actual excavations and bones. That original trailer basically showed ALL of what I originally thought the show was.

Like I said, it IS a good show. I just think it got originally advertised as something that it wasn't. One can't blame people for being disappointed in something that was mis-advertised.
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

ChrisLikesDinos

Did this ever come to the US?

Yutyrannus

Does anyone know when this will come out on DVD?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.