News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New on Ebay

Started by Ikessauro, March 13, 2012, 03:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

The Carnegie Collection Smilodon. Listed as "ultra rare", but is it really $500 worth of ultra rare!?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Ultra-rare-one-of-kind-Smilodon-Carnegie-Collection-by-Safari-ltd/172405081883

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 01, 2018, 12:23:05 AM
The Carnegie Collection Smilodon. Listed as "ultra rare", but is it really $500 worth of ultra rare!?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Ultra-rare-one-of-kind-Smilodon-Carnegie-Collection-by-Safari-ltd/172405081883
nevermind the copy and paste steal of the dinosaur toy blogs review of the figure to help try earn that bid...
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Shonisaurus

I was impressed by the price of Carnegie smilodon. I have one and I would not sell it but I understand that the price of eBay is excessive, they are close to 500 dollars! honestly that costs more than a noble metal like gold or a jewel. Each one is free to sell it and each one is free to buy it but it seems to me an excessive price.  :o

That does not mean that that figure is one of my most beloved figures of Carnegie despite the years, but what they said would have to lower the price a little. It is extremely difficult for someone to buy that figure.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 01, 2018, 12:27:55 AM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 01, 2018, 12:23:05 AM
nevermind the copy and paste steal of the dinosaur toy blogs review of the figure to help try earn that bid...

:o I didn't read the description before posting the link. That's cheeky.

PhilSauria

eBay pricing never ceases to amaze me!!, where do they come up with these figures?! In a lot of cases it seems to be wishful thinking rather than research, as a scroll down through a page of search results can reveal wildly varying prices for the same so-called rare item. This is not always the case but I have seen it often enough to promote a degree of scepticism and cynicism on my part.

Simon

Quote from: PhilSauria on January 01, 2018, 02:29:18 AM
eBay pricing never ceases to amaze me!!, where do they come up with these figures?! In a lot of cases it seems to be wishful thinking rather than research, as a scroll down through a page of search results can reveal wildly varying prices for the same so-called rare item. This is not always the case but I have seen it often enough to promote a degree of scepticism and cynicism on my part.

While I have not done any large-scale ebay selling in 4 years, I can tell you that was has changed with ebay is the fact that fees for ebay/PayPal have gone through the roof over what they were 10-20 years ago. 

Frankly I don't know how anyone can actually make a living running an ebay business these days.  I suppose its still a good way of getting rid of unwanted figures or finding the occasional rarity (which is all I ever used it for).

As far as ridiculous prices for items - that's nothing new.  (For example, anyone here besides me remember when the Jurassic Park 1993 Baryonyx figure would fetch $300-$600 dollars, around 2001-2002?)

Its up to the buyer (and seller) to become acquainted with the market for a particular item, and price/pay for it accordingly.

Caveat Emptor has always been the rule when you go out shopping, and ebay is no exception.  Its a necessary evil, as it is - and is likely to remain - the largest online marketplace for buying and selling "stuff".   ;)

PhilSauria

As you say, buyer beware. Agreed, it is still the largest market place, despite the issues mentioned. I have done and continue to acquire a fair percentage of the collection that I have via eBay but will only buy at a certain price point which means that I ignore a lot of listings for items that I want until I find that elusive price I'm willing to pay. A colleague of my Brother's is dialing back his eBay trading due to the fees but that still seems to leave a lot of people willing to carry on trading.

Lanthanotus

Considering that the price was raised from 45 bucks (which seemed to be the avareage (?) for the last 12 months, I consider myself luckly I got mine from a BIN for 15 € after I lost on a bid for the thing that ended at like 24 €. I am curiuos if it will be sold....

DinoToyForum

A Liopleurodon skeleton/boat by Chap Mei. Will I or won't I? Well, I won't for $250 (that's more Ebay insanity), but I'd be tempted by this at a more reasonable price, even though I already have the Elasmosaurus and Ichthyosaurus: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chap-Mei-Stone-Age-Dinosaurs-Action-Figure-Great-Elasmosaurus-Playset-Power-Acti/162831813653

Joey

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 03, 2018, 09:18:17 PM
A Liopleurodon skeleton/boat by Chap Mei. Will I or won't I? Well, I won't for $250 (that's more Ebay insanity), but I'd be tempted by this at a more reasonable price, even though I already have the Elasmosaurus and Ichthyosaurus: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chap-Mei-Stone-Age-Dinosaurs-Action-Figure-Great-Elasmosaurus-Playset-Power-Acti/162831813653
$250 is way too much for that set, the only reason to get that set is for the skeleton.

sauroid

would $60 to $75 be reasonable for a Carnegie Smilodon?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

RobinGoodfellow

Archinto

Quote from: sauroid on January 05, 2018, 10:09:55 AM

I wouldnt pay more than $25 for one of those. You can probably find one for a bit less. If i had a spare i tylically list them on ebay for $25 or best offer. Keep looking, and take a look at lots too, you may find one with other carnegies for a good deal.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

DinoToyForum

sauroid

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 05, 2018, 11:43:45 AM

Yesterday I bought a Carnegie Smilodon for 16 Euro (19,32 USD).
The auction was on Ebay for months without buyers..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACTION-FIGURE-DINOSAURO-SMILODON-1988-THE-CARNEGIE-MUSEUM-OF-NATURAL-HISTORY/263088406152?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
ah so they shouldnt cost too much after all. i am looking for a replacement for my existing less than ideal condition Smilodon so i want to be aware of the suggested second hand prices online. thanks for the info.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

sauroid

Quote from: Archinto on January 05, 2018, 07:06:07 PM

I wouldnt pay more than $25 for one of those. You can probably find one for a bit less. If i had a spare i tylically list them on ebay for $25 or best offer. Keep looking, and take a look at lots too, you may find one with other carnegies for a good deal.
thank you.

Joey

sauroid

maybe the (lack of) quality of the AAA figures was what pushed/inspired Battat to produce high quality/accurate dinosaur figures of their own during that time.

Roselaar

Quote from: Joey on January 06, 2018, 12:35:19 AM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 05, 2018, 08:39:15 PM
I didn't realise Battat collaborated with AAA: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Battat-Dinosaurs-Set-Of-10-1993-adults-and-babies-Rare-price-reduced/282797455637
Explains one of their Tyrannosaurus repaints in Battat colors.

Not to mention their borrowing Battat colour schemes for their baby dinosaurs...

Joey

Safari Hypacrosaurus with some paint wear (especially on the legs).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182997577994

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: