You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Flora, rocks and mountains etc. for Dioramas

Started by docronnie, June 19, 2013, 03:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

docronnie

I'm planning to make a few dioramas for my dinosaur figures (Kaiyodo Dinotales and Carnegie sized dino figs).

I know Collecta and Safari sell some trees, but how do most of you make your dioramas.  Do you improvise, substitute or make your own? Kindly post photos and links as to where to buy the items.

Thank you very much!
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Pawnosuchus

I'm not a big fan of the collecta trees, etc. For my garage diorama I use real sticks, rocks,stones and sometimes even dirt. Most of my trees are improvised from artificial plants from art stores like AC Moore or stuff I pick up at garage sales. I realize it may not be scientifically accurate but it's cheaper and I'm more interested in the overall look. Check out my video under dioramas and maybe you'll see something that will help.

docronnie

Quote from: Pawnosuchus on June 19, 2013, 04:10:14 PM
I'm not a big fan of the collecta trees, etc. For my garage diorama I use real sticks, rocks,stones and sometimes even dirt. Most of my trees are improvised from artificial plants from art stores like AC Moore or stuff I pick up at garage sales. I realize it may not be scientifically accurate but it's cheaper and I'm more interested in the overall look. Check out my video under dioramas and maybe you'll see something that will help.

This is such a big help.  Thanks a lot!  Will check your video soon, probably Friday afternoon after clinic. Yahooooo!  :)

tyrantqueen

I agree, I would not use the CollectA flora because they look so fake and plastic.

Personally I would buy some of the trees that can be bought specifically for diorama use- like the ones used in model train building. Or, if you can't find any suited to your purpose, you could always make them. Do a google search for the tree you're looking to build, and get lots of refs. Then build the basic body out of wire and build it up with clay, or putty. There are lots of tutorials online for building trees, just google for them.

Some interesting links I found

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/44/t/140831.aspx

http://www.ipmsusa3.org/reviews/How_To/Quick_Trees/quick_trees.htm

http://thecombatworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/100th-post-tutorial-how-to-make-trees.html

Remember, Google is your friend :))

Companies like Vallejo sell stuff you can use for your diorama (sand, flocking etc) Or if you don't want to spend too much money, go outside and find some sand and rocks you can use.

Also, forum member paleoferroequine has a lot of experience making dioramas, if I remember correctly his diorama won the competition many moons back. You should PM him if you want more help. Here is his incredible diorama:

These are just suggestions of course. There are many ways to go about building dioramas. It helps to have an idea of what kind of scene you intend to portray in your head before you build anything. Again, google is helpful for getting inspiration (but try not to copy anything completely)
Just experiment and see what works for you. I like to use cardboard and paper mache for my terrain building, because it's cheap and versatile.
I think that diorama building is a lost and unappreciated art ;)

docronnie

Thanks a lot TQ for your huge input! I already looked at your first link and the trees look realistic indeed.  :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.