News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Beautiful Dinosaur mix

Started by postsaurischian, March 23, 2012, 02:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: PhilSauria on December 25, 2017, 11:01:32 PM
Great images, thanks. I have the Schleich Macrauchenia and was wondering how this new arrival would size up along side it - looks like they will make a fine display, thanks again for the comparison.

The Schleich macrauchenia was one of the best figures made by that brand, and it was very well finished. Now with the Safari macrauchenia they are going to make a good couple in my collection. I hope that the package that is on the way to urzeitshop will arrive soon.

Everything will depend on the customs are saturated by Christmas.

Reptilia

I like the paint on the Schleich Oviraptor better than on stock photos. It seems to have shades of blue, purple and green rather than simply all grey. The pose looks somehow strange and the feet seems to be not particularly well sculpted, but at least they're not oversized. All in all is an ok figure and an upgrade for Schleich standards. Ironically I prefer the old Schleich Macrauchenia to its current Safari counterpart. Beautiful composition you did with the two WS models and the human figure.

postsaurischian

:D  Thanks for feedback and replying!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

:)  Schleich 1:15 Dinogorgon

Upper Permian Therapsids
                                                                     Wild Safari Inostrancevia     Schleich Dinogorgon
                                                        Kaiyodo Dinotales No.70 Trochosaurus     Bullyland Procynosuchus

Shonisaurus

For me the mammalian reptile that is superior is inostrancevia. The dinogorgon for me is one of the great figures of Schleich 2018 together with the oviraptor and the exceptional psittacosaurus.

What perhaps the dinogorgon suffers is that it lacks roughness or scales, its skin is too smooth. That does have teeth perfectly different but less detailed than the Safari inostrancevia, otherwise it would have needed a little fluff for the prehistoric animal had been more realistic.

It is a worthy figure for me and for me the note is outstanding under as I pointed out in the forum of Schleich 2018 although for me the figure of gorgonopsido preferred is that of Safari.

In short Schleich dinogorgon has been one of the great works of this company this year.  :)

Libraraptor

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 26, 2017, 01:23:27 PM
  :D  Thanks for feedback and replying!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

:)  Schleich 1:15 Dinogorgon

Upper Permian Therapsids
                                                                     Wild Safari Inostrancevia     Schleich Dinogorgon
                                                        Kaiyodo Dinotales No.70 Trochosaurus     Bullyland Procynosuchus

:o :o THAT was the picture I have been waiting for!  Now that I ordered myself the Schleich Dinogorgon,  I will soon be able to take such a picture myself!

postsaurischian

Quote from: Reptilia on December 26, 2017, 11:43:42 AM
I like the paint on the Schleich Oviraptor better than on stock photos. It seems to have shades of blue, purple and green rather than simply all grey. .......

I have to make clear that there is no purple or green on the Oviraptor - just grey and blue.
   It just seems so on the photos because of coincidental influence of background and lighting. I actually like that :).
   At the moment it's very cloudy here in Germany. The clouds look a bit purplish when the sun is right behind them.
   This makes it harder for me to take good pictures. They have to be brightened afterwards which might be the reason
   for the effect.

:D  Wild Safari 1:35  Ankylosaurus  (originally sculpted by Doug Watson)
                  ("Doug, after having second proof that you're a master of this, we insist on getting more thyreophorans from you!")

compared to Bullyland's figure - what a difference ;D!

Reptilia

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 26, 2017, 05:53:15 PM
I have to make clear that there is no purple or green on the Oviraptor - just grey and blue.

Thanks for clarifying. Is the Schleich Psittacosaurus also coming in this thread?

tyrantqueen

I'm not a fan of the paintjob (black and brown together is a fashion crime!) but otherwise the Safari Ankylosaurus looks good. The heavy texturing works in its favour.

Shonisaurus

The Safari ankylosaurus seems smaller than its equivalent of Bullyland. In any case, he is a great figure. What might change would be the color of the brown plates of the Safari ankylosaurus for more realistic ones. Anyway I see that it is an outstanding figure perhaps one of the best this year along with its triceratops Safari 2018.

Doug Watson

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 26, 2017, 05:53:15 PM

:D  Wild Safari 1:35  Ankylosaurus  (originally sculpted by Doug Watson)
                  ("Doug, after having second proof that you're a master of this, we insist on getting more thyreophorans from you!")

Thank you, it helps when you have Ken Carpenter helping you. While I was sculpting it he gave me an unpublished updated interpretation of his original restoration with modifications to proportion and osteoderm placement. By the way I checked with him about the new paper on Ankylosaurus by Arbour and Mallon and he still stands by his new arrangement. As he says both his and their paper's arrangements are only theories (theirs based on related Mongolian species) until an actual Ankylosaurus is found with the osteoderms in situ either version could turn out to be either right or wrong.

Irritation

Oooh! That's a shiny Oviraptor! Or is it just the lighting of the photo?

Lanthanotus

[...]
   At the moment it's very cloudy here in Germany. The clouds look a bit purplish when the sun is right behind them.
   This makes it harder for me to take good pictures. They have to be brightened afterwards which might be the reason
   for the effect.

Hehe, and I always thought you'd use artificial light for your well lit photos. Already wondered why the therapsid photos are so comparably dark, yet still better than url=http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5942.360;topicseen]mine[/url], especially when it comes to focus :D

postsaurischian

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 26, 2017, 06:39:36 PM
Thank you, it helps when you have Ken Carpenter helping you. While I was sculpting it he gave me an unpublished updated interpretation of his original restoration with modifications to proportion and osteoderm placement. By the way I checked with him about the new paper on Ankylosaurus by Arbour and Mallon and he still stands by his new arrangement. As he says both his and their paper's arrangements are only theories (theirs based on related Mongolian species) until an actual Ankylosaurus is found with the osteoderms in situ either version could turn out to be either right or wrong.

Wonderful, wonderful!
   Dear Santa Watson, I want a WS 1:35 Stegosaurus with 17 plates in a streched out walking pose for Christmas 2018 O:-).

Quote from: Irritation on December 26, 2017, 07:03:10 PM
Oooh! That's a shiny Oviraptor! Or is it just the lighting of the photo?

It's (cloudy) sunlight directly on sleek plastic. This gives it a certain glance.

Quote from: Lanthanotus on December 26, 2017, 07:39:52 PM
.... I always thought you'd use artificial light for your well lit photos. Already wondered why the therapsid photos are so comparably dark, yet still better than mine, especially when it comes to focus :D

Oh, I like your group shot! I should visit the "New for ...." threads more often.
   I'm avoiding them most of the time because of the "pre-bashing" which I completely dislike.

Quote from: Reptilia on December 26, 2017, 05:56:09 PM
.... Is the Schleich Psittacosaurus also coming in this thread?

My first thought was not to show it yet. It's a wonderful sculpt, in my opinion the best prehistoric figure Schleich has ever made.
   But the colours are awful - and this is a thread for beautiful things. It has to be garrattized and this will take a while.

But since you've asked for it :), well here it is .......

Schleich 1:12 Psittacosaurus (originally sculpted by Vlad Konstantinov)

Reptilia

Thanks postsaurischian! I personally don't have much to complain about the original colours, the only thing I would do might be adding a little black eyeliner, cause it seems like the eyes are not so carefully painted. But I understand that a professional repaint can turn this into a stellar figure, as proved by the example posted in the Schleich thread. Pretty sure that when you'll get yours done you'll delight us with one of your compositions involving some base, so can't wait to see how the Martin Garratt makeover will turn out.

tanystropheus

At least the colors are unique. Regardless, it will become a masterpiece once the Garrattization process is complete! I'm actually surprised that Schleich even bothered to include gaps between the quills. It's an impressive sculpt by any standards.

amargasaurus cazaui

It almost looks like they used a gloss paint and try as I might, I cannot make the maroonish red on the jugals work for me
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Shonisaurus

My first thought was not to show it yet. It's a wonderful sculpt, in my opinion the best prehistoric figure Schleich has ever made.
   But the colours are awful - and this is a thread for beautiful things. It has to be garrattized and this will take a while.

But since you've asked for it :), well here it is .......

Schleich 1:12 Psittacosaurus (originally sculpted by Vlad Konstantinov)

[/quote]

Completely agree with you postsaurichan. I had it in mind but it is true the psittacosaurus is the best figure made in the whole history of Schleich.

ceratopsian

Thank you for posting the Schleich Psittacosaurus.  I too had decided that the colours are, to my taste, quite unbearable, although the sculpt is gorgeous.  Like you, I was planning to send one for remedial work to Martin!

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 26, 2017, 09:04:52 PM

Quote from: Reptilia on December 26, 2017, 05:56:09 PM
.... Is the Schleich Psittacosaurus also coming in this thread?

postsaurischian

:)  Thanks for the comments!
       I modified the Psittaco post and reduced the number of pics to one.
       The meany greeny paintjob puts a hurt on my eye  ;D ... more photos after the garrattization.

amargasaurus cazaui

All of the pictures seem to have vanished...and as you are aware, I asked Martin for a redo on a pair of my own models, hopefully I can share those with you soon. I asked for a male/female couple so it will be interesting.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: