News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pixar's "The Good Dinosaur"

Started by scallenger, August 10, 2013, 03:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: Dobber on October 05, 2015, 06:19:07 PM
Why an apatosaurus? Then went extinct LONG before the KT event.

Assuming that the film takes place in an alternate universe modern day it would also be fair to say that the other dinosaurs wouldn't be classifiable within the original species (and maybe not even the original genera) either. 66 million years is a lot of time for anagenesis to do its work.

This has been your daily dose of pedantry.

CityRaptor

There is also the problem that there are large mammals like bovids and humans, which should not exist in such a world.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Kovu

I mean, it's a Pixar movie primarily aimed at children. I think the basic concept they were going for is "dinosaurs don't go extinct but everything else continues as normal". It's supposed to be a heartwarming fictional adventure about the importance of family and friendship, not a documentary on the natural history of Earth. The apatosaurus/cave boy/cattle-farming tyrannosaurus are the messengers not the message.

And yes, I realize that there is the argument to be made that kids could watch it and think that dinosaurs and people really lived together, but I think we should give them a little more credit then that. I mean, as kids we grow up watching all these movies and yes, we do believe in them for a period of time. We believe that a glass slipper can save the day and that a meerkat and warthog can raise a lion. We believe that dragons are real and true love can slay them. We believe that our toys come alive when we're not around and that mermaids are real and a dinosaur can be our friend. But we don't believe those things forever. We grow up and we realize that our toys are inanimate and dragons don't exist and shoes made of glass are a terrible idea. And we realize that dinosaurs and people didn't coexist.

At some point our grown-up brains turn on and we get so wrapped up in analyzing these movies for accuracy that we miss the point they're really trying to make. We miss the real lessons they're trying to teach. Maybe, what we need to do, is we need to watch them, enjoy them, and take away those lessons rather than pick them apart for their scientific shortcomings. By all means, do that with documentaries. They're goal is to teach the science. Pixar... not so much.

Mojoceratops

I think the trailer and every tv ad makes it clear this is a what-if scenerio :/

And really, if it gets kids loving dinosaurs, I think that's great :) I think Pixar was taking a sort of "childlike" approach to this (well besides it being easy to make toys and merchandise of Arlo, but Pixar is deeper than that). As a kid, you most likely had that favorite green dinosaur. And as a kid, dinosaurs, especially ol' "Brontosaurus" were iconically green. And then of course there's this

And this

I know that may be a bit over most heads, but that was the vibe I was getting. I don't see any reason to be stuffy about it, I think the film looks very good and it's on my must-see list. Honestly, it could take some years until we get movies about dinosaurs - animated or otherwise - that live up to dino-nerd status. I mean look what happened with WWD 3D? I know that wasn't the fault of the creators or the studio, but of the producers and execs making asinine decisions (I walked out of it halfway thru btw).

Just my two-cents.

You know what movie I want? I film-adaptation of Robert T Bakker's "Raptor Red". With everything featured in the book somehow made to fit in a near 2-hour movie, stunning cg and breathtaking vistas, featuring the most accurate science. But for such a thing to happen, it'd have to be made by someone who has a love and passion the same way this community does. But it's an old, obscure book so good luck with that one.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: Mojoceratops on October 06, 2015, 02:54:14 AM

You know what movie I want? I film-adaptation of Robert T Bakker's "Raptor Red". With everything featured in the book somehow made to fit in a near 2-hour movie, stunning cg and breathtaking vistas, featuring the most accurate science. But for such a thing to happen, it'd have to be made by someone who has a love and passion the same way this community does. But it's an old, obscure book so good luck with that one.

YES! this is the best idea ever. I've actually thought about this before. The book's science would have to be updated, of course, but I think that would be an amazing movie to see, but sadly i also see your rational as to why it would be difficult to make. If i recall correctly, however, i seem to remember some studio picked up the rights to the book, but I could be wrong. Just imagine the possibilities! fully feathered Utahraptors with the amazing feather CGI of legend of the guardians: the owls of Ga'hoole without the annoying voiceover that WWD had. Also, if you are not already aware of this, the blu-ray edition of WWD 3D has an option called "cretaceous cut" (i think thats what it's called) which omits the voiceover but keeps the dinosaurian grunting and bellowing.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

alexeratops

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on June 04, 2015, 02:50:50 PM
I am fine with the designs as long as they resemble real dinosaurs. Though the raptors will probably just have mowhawks...  >:(

I read somewhere on an interview that said that the raptors will be "shaggy"... can you describe something as shaggy with just a mowhawk?
like a bantha!

Mojoceratops

They're... different.

(The figure set I bought.. not my photo though).

And apparently the Styracosaur-looking character is named...Forrest Woodbush. Not Shaman. Although I guess he's a shaman.

Maybe he's just a highly ornamented Triceratops /: Or a cross-breed :P

Yutyrannus

That would be absolutely amazing ;D! Hopefully someone will make that eventually...

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Takama

Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 06, 2015, 05:30:47 AM
That would be absolutely amazing ;D! Hopefully someone will make that eventually...

And hopefully the Executives wont ruin it.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Dobber on October 05, 2015, 06:19:07 PM
Why an apatosaurus? Then went extinct LONG before the KT event.

Chris
Only for beign the arquetype of dinosaur. Im tired to see the good dinosaurs are always the herbivores and the bad ones as the carnivores. Well I recommend you to read Age of Reptiles Ancient Egyptians, where sauropod herbivores are the villains! And are more dangerous than carnivores!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Mojoceratops on October 06, 2015, 05:12:05 AM

Less of a mohawk on that Velociraptor and more like a horse's mane. Not a healthy, horse, either. One that's been put out to pasture.

Also the shaman has an extremely unfortunate surname.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tyrantqueen

They are pretty cool in a stylised, cartoony kind of way. I like the Styracosaurus the most.

ITdactyl

I like the design for Forrest too, and will probably get the toy.

But I can't wait to get my hands (and subsequently revert to a 6 year old) on the Thunderclap figure
http://www.disneystore.com/action-figures-toys-thunderclap-action-figure-the-good-dinsosaur/mp/1383816/1000255/

Kovu

Is it just me, or does the velociraptor look kind of like a dinosaur version of Rasputin from the Anastasia movie?

No? Just me?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Kovu on October 06, 2015, 10:51:39 PM
Is it just me, or does the velociraptor look kind of like a dinosaur version of Rasputin from the Anastasia movie?

No? Just me?
I guess if you squint 8)

Dobber

My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

DinoLord

Thanks for sharing the full trailer. From what it shows this looks like it'll be a compelling storyline. I look forward to watching the movie when it comes out; it's good to feel like a kid again once in a while.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Hmmmm... this new trailer has certainly peaked my interest. The alpha Tyrannosaur seems to be my favorite character so far, with the weird ceratopsid being my least. I just find his character design and general personality to be a little off-putting. Of course, this is just the trailer, and my opinions may change as time goes on and i see more material related to the movie. Those dromaeosaurs do look very weird and sickly with those manes, don't they? Nevertheless, i'm sure it will be a great movie and i'm highly anticipating seeing it in theaters.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Shadowknight1

Sam Elliot as a scarred, grumpy old T. rex.  I'm in.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

ITdactyl

Another version of the trailer:

https://youtu.be/oCD9_9hAzGU

which begs the question: "Why does a farming family of Apatosaurus keep primitive chickens?"
*also, if Arlo is 18 feet tall, that means the chickens were also 18 ft tall... geez... hahaha

And for those who'd like to read about how the movie was made and look at some nice concept art:
http://io9.com/how-pixar-changed-all-the-rules-to-make-the-good-dinosa-1735364564

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: