News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sideshow DINOSAURIA (with poll)

Started by postsaurischian, March 24, 2012, 11:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which are your 3 favourite Sideshow 'Dinosauria' models?

1. Allosaurus vs. Camarasaurus diorama
4 (22.2%)
2. Apatosaurus maquette
6 (33.3%)
3. Brachiosaurus ornament
0 (0%)
4. Carnotaurus maquette
2 (11.1%)
5. Ceratosaurus
1 (5.6%)
6. Deinosuchus vs. Parasaurolophus diorama
3 (16.7%)
7. Dilophosaurus maquette
0 (0%)
8. Euoplocephalus in Egg maquette
0 (0%)
9. Gastonia
3 (16.7%)
10. Mosasaur statue
3 (16.7%)
11. Protoceratops vs. Velociraptor diorama
0 (0%)
12. Spinosaurus maquette
2 (11.1%)
13. Stegosaurus maquette
6 (33.3%)
14. Styracosaurus maquette
1 (5.6%)
15. Triceratops statue
2 (11.1%)
16. Tupuxuara maquette
2 (11.1%)
17. Tyrannosaurus rex maquette
5 (27.8%)
18. Tyrannosaurus rex vs. Triceratops diorama
1 (5.6%)
19. T-rex: 'The Tyrant King' statue
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 14, 2014, 09:03:01 PM
Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on February 14, 2014, 06:05:22 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 14, 2014, 05:41:00 PM
Here's some background on the Mosa's tail from Jorge :
QuoteI based my work on impressions of the paleontologist Zulma Gasparini, she's an expert on marine reptiles mostly from cretaceus period from Argentine. .The only reason I didn't make the little fluke in the tail is that I did not want it to be too similar to the tail of an ichthyosaur. I was trying to give my restauration the aspect of a varanid and I saw the special anatomy of his tails between the rest of lizards and completed the reconstruccion with the anatomy of the tail of sea snakes which is vertically flat like a rowing or flounder.
Interesting. That makes sense.
I'd like to hear Dr. Admin's thoughts on this.

Well, derived mosasaur tails were similar to those of ichthyosaurs - they evolved convergently - as we now know for certain from soft tissue evidence. The statue still looks stunning though!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hmm..so it should have had one then.   Jorge may have missed the boat then a bit with regards to that bit of info then. I'm not sure when he collected his info to create this piece but that could have been possible if it's a new development ?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 23, 2014, 03:21:49 AM
Hmm..so it should have had one then.   Jorge may have missed the boat then a bit with regards to that bit of info then. I'm not sure when he collected his info to create this piece but that could have been possible if it's a new development ?
Yeah, like I said earlier...this maquette might have been commissioned a long while back, hence the missing fluke. I still think it's beautiful, so I don't care about the error too much.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 23, 2014, 08:02:21 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 23, 2014, 03:21:49 AM
Yeah, like I said earlier...this maquette might have been commissioned a long while back, hence the missing fluke. I still think it's beautiful, so I don't care about the error too much.

..and I think it would be hidden by the base regardless seeing the tail position as it is. So  I think we're good.

Pilkington

Mosasaur preview in Sideshow's blog today.  There are quite a few pictures and the price is at least $50 less then I thought it would be at a pretty reasonable $299.99.  Preorder starts tomorrow!

More pictures and blog post here:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/dinosauria-continues-with-a-splash-from-the-past/
If you wanna be alone, come with me

tyrantqueen

Gorgeous :) I won't be preordering, I am going to wait until Urzeit gets this guy in stock. I don't have the money right now to preorder anyway :-[

Simon

Depends on your definition of "reasonable" I suppose!   ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Full release should be tomorrow then .  Looks great though I'm not seeing anything about the size or limited editions or such. That would help out figuring value on the price. I'm a bit disappointed they stuck with 300.00 for it, that was the line's cap originally.  The Stego blew that out of the water at 350.00 but it seems every piece recently has been at 300.00 , the Dilo pair should have been 200-250 given the size.  If this piece is only 12" or so and is 300.00 it's goign to be hard to justify it..even with all the bells and whistles on the base.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The little shark is a juvenile Squalicorax for those interested. :)

tyrantqueen

Dan is now accepting pre-orders :)

Btw, I have a question for Sideshow veterans. Should I keep the box it comes in? I don't think I would be selling this model in future, but if it significantly enhances the value then I might have to consider it. I am short on space, so I'm not sure....

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 27, 2014, 10:50:09 AM
....... Should I keep the box it comes in? .......

There are two more reasons to keep the box that are more important to me:

1. it's usually very beautiful :).

2. You're young, you will be probably moving at least one more time in your life and there is no safer way to transport a highly fragile Sideshow statue than in its original box with the adjusted styrofoam preforms (I hope I chose the correct English term, if not, please tell me!). Or you'd like to take the model to a nice place to take nice pictures, than also the original box is the best way to carry it with you.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 27, 2014, 02:29:11 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 27, 2014, 10:50:09 AM
....... Should I keep the box it comes in? .......

There are two more reasons to keep the box that are more important to me:

1. it's usually very beautiful :).

2. You're young, you will be probably moving at least one more time in your life and there is no safer way to transport a highly fragile Sideshow statue than in its original box with the adjusted styrofoam preforms (I hope I chose the correct English term, if not, please tell me!). Or you'd like to take the model to a nice place to take nice pictures, than also the original box is the best way to carry it with you.
Pretty solid logic, can't argue with that :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

All valid points and it does add to the value too.

I've kept all of mine so far, but they do take up space. Currently they are occupying one whole storage shed. 

Another note, I found out the piece is 20" tall. So not too small.

Dan

I saved the boxes for a while, but eventually got rid of them. They just take up way too much space. With the general fluctuation of market value, it's hard to accurately say if there's a significant value being added by saving the box.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dan on February 27, 2014, 09:17:39 PM
I saved the boxes for a while, but eventually got rid of them. They just take up way too much space. With the general fluctuation of market value, it's hard to accurately say if there's a significant value being added by saving the box.

I always figured it would help in shipping them do with all the pre-molded to form packing. But honestly these would be among the very last pieces I sold if I ever had to.

thelordsgym

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 28, 2014, 01:21:53 AM

I always figured it would help in shipping them do with all the pre-molded to form packing. But honestly these would be among the very last pieces I sold if I ever had to.
Yeah I would agree....the value I would ascertain to be significantly higher with the boxes and foam...and also as previously mentioned, easier and safer to transport during a move, or for taking exotic pictures...etc...
But yeah they would be the very last things I would sell of my vast collection, including my rarest pieces. Let's hope it never comes to that Blade...for either of us!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: thelordsgym on February 28, 2014, 02:47:53 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 28, 2014, 01:21:53 AM

Yeah I would agree....the value I would ascertain to be significantly higher with the boxes and foam...and also as previously mentioned, easier and safer to transport during a move, or for taking exotic pictures...etc...
But yeah they would be the very last things I would sell of my vast collection, including my rarest pieces. Let's hope it never comes to that Blade...for either of us!

I'll toast to that...though the way I'm spending money on this Park..who knows what will go. ugh

stego

Does any one know that if the Mosasaur will release the Exclusive editon?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stego on February 28, 2014, 09:52:20 AM
Does any one know that if the Mosasaur will release the Exclusive editon?

Doesn't look like it.  I have on good authority no skull was created for this release. It's another disappointment for early collectors who purchased them and expected the trend to continue, but my guess is they don't need them anymore. The prices of the pieces are holding at a higher 300.00 it seems, recall this past years Dilo model was the same price for the regular and exclusive editions...so why have one except to please collectors. Something I feel SIDESHOW is only barely trying at now.  On the plus side I guess all this means the line is doing well enough to stand on it's own two legs and doesn't need frills anymore.

Neven Florian

Wow. I'm going to buy this one in November, it's too beautiful ;D ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: