News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sideshow DINOSAURIA (with poll)

Started by postsaurischian, March 24, 2012, 11:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which are your 3 favourite Sideshow 'Dinosauria' models?

1. Allosaurus vs. Camarasaurus diorama
4 (22.2%)
2. Apatosaurus maquette
6 (33.3%)
3. Brachiosaurus ornament
0 (0%)
4. Carnotaurus maquette
2 (11.1%)
5. Ceratosaurus
1 (5.6%)
6. Deinosuchus vs. Parasaurolophus diorama
3 (16.7%)
7. Dilophosaurus maquette
0 (0%)
8. Euoplocephalus in Egg maquette
0 (0%)
9. Gastonia
3 (16.7%)
10. Mosasaur statue
3 (16.7%)
11. Protoceratops vs. Velociraptor diorama
0 (0%)
12. Spinosaurus maquette
2 (11.1%)
13. Stegosaurus maquette
6 (33.3%)
14. Styracosaurus maquette
1 (5.6%)
15. Triceratops statue
2 (11.1%)
16. Tupuxuara maquette
2 (11.1%)
17. Tyrannosaurus rex maquette
5 (27.8%)
18. Tyrannosaurus rex vs. Triceratops diorama
1 (5.6%)
19. T-rex: 'The Tyrant King' statue
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

DinoLord

I wonder if they'll re-release the Krentz T. rex.

rfdelgado

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 16, 2014, 02:28:17 PM
That Spino is not going to escape me this time >:D It says preorders will start on April 17th...I really hope Dan has them in his store :)

I might consider ordering them directly from Sideshow? That way you're guaranteed the piece. That's what I do and they just show up at my door :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoLord on April 16, 2014, 09:02:46 PM

I hate to sound a horse' butt here..but I REALLY hope not.  It was released in two editions already, regular and exclusive and it was released in faux bronze. So it's been out there quite a bit already. 

We are getting a brand new T-Rex so I'd hate to have to try and get the Krentz once again because they altered the base and maybe gave it cool new paint.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: rfdelgado on April 16, 2014, 11:26:50 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 16, 2014, 02:28:17 PM
That Spino is not going to escape me this time >:D It says preorders will start on April 17th...I really hope Dan has them in his store :)

I might consider ordering them directly from Sideshow? That way you're guaranteed the piece. That's what I do and they just show up at my door :)

I'd say there is a 99.9% chance Dan will have them. I can ask him to make sure.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 17, 2014, 02:03:29 AM

I hate to sound a horse' butt here..but I REALLY hope not.  It was released in two editions already, regular and exclusive and it was released in faux bronze. So it's been out there quite a bit already. 

We are getting a brand new T-Rex so I'd hate to have to try and get the Krentz once again because they altered the base and maybe gave it cool new paint.
I'd prefer one of the sauropod models, maybe the Apatosaurus or Camarasaurus instead.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 17, 2014, 11:55:30 AM

I hate to sound like a horse's butt here..but I REALLY hope not.  It was released in two editions already, regular and exclusive and it was released in faux bronze. So it's been out there quite a bit already. 

I'd prefer one of the sauropod models, maybe the Apatosaurus or Camarasaurus instead.

The Apato might be  a good choice, many complained about the paint apps on it..though I'm not sure there is a good reason to think it would work out perfectly with a new one either .  They would also need to figure out how to fix that tail issue. I've heard it broke in shipping a lot.

The Camara sans the Allosaurus pair ? Might look odd.  I would really prefer they just did a Diplodocus or Argentinosaur..something big and new.

Oh yeah, Dan is calling SS today to make sure he can get the repaints.   I have a feeling they will be an open edition so they can sell as many as they want.

DinoLord

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 17, 2014, 04:45:25 PM
The Apato might be  a good choice, many complained about the paint apps on it..though I'm not sure there is a good reason to think it would work out perfectly with a new one either .  They would also need to figure out how to fix that tail issue. I've heard it broke in shipping a lot.

The Camara sans the Allosaurus pair ? Might look odd.  I would really prefer they just did a Diplodocus or Argentinosaur..something big and new

Though the paint application is slightly different on the Apatosaurus than it was in the stock photos, I still can't find any fault with it. It's an overall quality piece with a detailed paint. 

I agree a new sauropod would be much better than reissuing the Apatosaurus. Hopefully it'd be something more different like Giraffatitan or Argentinosaurus rather than something so similar to Apatosaurus such as Diplodocus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoLord on April 17, 2014, 04:50:38 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 17, 2014, 04:45:25 PM

The Camara sans the Allosaurus pair ? Might look odd.  I would really prefer they just did a Diplodocus or Argentinosaur..something big and new

Though the paint application is slightly different on the Apatosaurus than it was in the stock photos, I still can't find any fault with it. It's an overall quality piece with a detailed paint. 

I agree a new sauropod would be much better than reissuing the Apatosaurus. Hopefully it'd be something more different like Giraffatitan or Argentinosaurus rather than something so similar to Apatosaurus such as Diplodocus.

I think Diplodocus is different enough to warrant it's own piece. longer, thinner neck, overall less thick body..a pretty typical sauropod..but still one of the top well known species . 

rfdelgado

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 17, 2014, 11:55:30 AM

They are both beautiful.

dinosaurdungeon

I just heard they are re-releasing the Carnotaurus!!!!!! Can't wait.

Blade-of-the-Moon

A member of the Sideshow forums posted the original pricing :

Styracosaurus - $199.99
Spinosaurus - $289.99

new repaints are going to be :

Styracosaurus
price $279.99
Spinosaurus
price $329.99

Sideshow really marked up the Styrac it looks like.   The thing is if the market does flood with an open edition you might be able to score these on the secondary market for even less.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: drjre77 on April 17, 2014, 05:39:15 PM
I just heard they are re-releasing the Carnotaurus!!!!!! Can't wait.

Where did you hear that ?  If so it would the first one to have 3 releases and 4 editions already.

dinosaurdungeon

Blade-of-the-Moon

I guess that's official word then..coming from Anthony Mestas.  Kinda disappointing though. All these marked up repaints with very little new pieces.

Maybe it's time to sell off the whole SS collection and start again.

tyrantqueen

What does the Facebook link say? Nothing shows up for me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

" Anthony Mestas : SS will be re releasing the Carnotarus in the near future with a new paint scheme. Stay tuned to www.sideshowcollectibles.com. "

tyrantqueen

I wish there was more information available about what scale Sideshow's dinosaurs are supposed to be in. The Carno is very lovely, but if it's not in 1/20-ish I'll probably skip it.

Also, how well does the sculpt hold up scientifically? More specifically, how correct are the arms?

Dan

The Carnotaurus would be about 1:20, if you use a 30 foot long specimen for reference.

1.5 : 30 = 1 : 20

I get a lot of requests for that piece, so it would be nice to see a comeback. I know I've said it a million times, but the fine detailing on that model was reproduced so crisply, it's closer to a resin kit than any other Dinosauria piece. You can see it in the review photos I took for the blog.

http://dinotoyblog.com/2009/09/16/carnotaurus-sideshow-collectibles-dinosauria/

SpartanSquat

One question, why they rereleased again this figures? The new spinosaurus colour is much better than the old one.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: RolandEden on April 18, 2014, 02:21:26 AM
One question, why they rereleased again this figures? The new spinosaurus colour is much better than the old one.

To make some quick cash.

Color..is a matter of opinion. The green actually fits McVey's vision of the animal more than this current scheme as he has said he was going for a semi-aquatic predator. 

I still wonder how the asian factories will replicate this color scheme given it's complexities.  Would have been better had they done a paint on demand and actually had Riojas paint them.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: