News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sideshow DINOSAURIA (with poll)

Started by postsaurischian, March 24, 2012, 11:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which are your 3 favourite Sideshow 'Dinosauria' models?

1. Allosaurus vs. Camarasaurus diorama
4 (22.2%)
2. Apatosaurus maquette
6 (33.3%)
3. Brachiosaurus ornament
0 (0%)
4. Carnotaurus maquette
2 (11.1%)
5. Ceratosaurus
1 (5.6%)
6. Deinosuchus vs. Parasaurolophus diorama
3 (16.7%)
7. Dilophosaurus maquette
0 (0%)
8. Euoplocephalus in Egg maquette
0 (0%)
9. Gastonia
3 (16.7%)
10. Mosasaur statue
3 (16.7%)
11. Protoceratops vs. Velociraptor diorama
0 (0%)
12. Spinosaurus maquette
2 (11.1%)
13. Stegosaurus maquette
6 (33.3%)
14. Styracosaurus maquette
1 (5.6%)
15. Triceratops statue
2 (11.1%)
16. Tupuxuara maquette
2 (11.1%)
17. Tyrannosaurus rex maquette
5 (27.8%)
18. Tyrannosaurus rex vs. Triceratops diorama
1 (5.6%)
19. T-rex: 'The Tyrant King' statue
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

postsaurischian

Quote from: Dan on April 17, 2014, 10:13:15 PM
The Carnotaurus would be about 1:20, if you use a 30 foot long specimen for reference.

As far as I know the longest specimen of Carnotaurus sastrei is 750 cm (24.3 feet) long.
Sideshow says the Maquette is 45.7 cm (18 inches) long.

750 cm : 45.7 cm = 16.4

The Carnotaurus is not fully streched and not every Carnotaurus specimen reached the maximum length of 7.5 meters.
=> I'd say the Sideshow Carnotaurus ia about 1:15.

I might be wrong. If there really is a 9.1 m (30 feet) specimen of C. sastrei, please let me know. That would change my collections a bit :).

tyrantqueen

So Dan now has the two "new" Sideshows in his store. I am happy >:D Expect an order from me for the Spinosaurus sometime soon, Daniel >:D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 18, 2014, 09:40:14 AM
Quote from: Dan on April 17, 2014, 10:13:15 PM
The Carnotaurus would be about 1:20, if you use a 30 foot long specimen for reference.

As far as I know the longest specimen of Carnotaurus sastrei is 750 cm (24.3 feet) long.
Sideshow says the Maquette is 45.7 cm (18 inches) long.

750 cm : 45.7 cm = 16.4

The Carnotaurus is not fully streched and not every Carnotaurus specimen reached the maximum length of 7.5 meters.
=> I'd say the Sideshow Carnotaurus ia about 1:15.

I might be wrong. If there really is a 9.1 m (30 feet) specimen of C. sastrei, please let me know. That would change my collections a bit :).

I think it's possible there could be one a bit bigger that existed..we're talking another 5 feet or so right ?  It may not be typical of it's species but it's by no means impossible.

Blade-of-the-Moon

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/whats-new/allosaurus-vs-camarasaurus-statue/[/QUOTE]

That's actually a terrible repaint when compared to the original.  blue and yellow mostly... ugh

You know this re-release business sorta makes under-value the whole line. Why jump to buy the first ones anymore when they'll be around again ?

tyrantqueen

Heehee, no complaints from me. I always wanted that maquette >:D

I can understand that people might be miffed about them being re-released, but at least this might draw in some new collectors who didn't have a chance to buy them the first time around (like myself). And honestly, it's not like we're getting them for free, we're still paying the $300 asking price (plus it's a bit more than the original).

Gorgonzola

I never knew Sideshow had an Allosaurus vs Camarasaurus statue before, but now I can't think of anything else I want more.

That paint job is a bit junk though from what it looks to me. It looks almost unfinished (Which, I guess it could be.)  What was the paint job on the first release?
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

Blade-of-the-Moon

It sort of cheapens it a bit though. It's especially upsetting to the collectors who just recently dropped the asking prices on ebay for them.  It doesn't seem like a smart thing to do to alienate your fan base...especially ones willing to spend so much.  For collectors who do buy these new ones , they won't hold the same second market value as the first ones did..many collectors buy something then trade up or sell later for something better or when they are in a pinch from what I've seen.   These new pieces also look to be open editions, so Sideshow can produce as many as they want to till everyone has one.  Why strive to collect something more " higher end " when it's only as good a nice figure ? It's all very annoying and feels more and more like a cash grab by SS.  I'm guessing this one will also have that new black base on it.

The address for CamaraVS Allo does say  "Final" in it so I'm guessing it's done. No complex patterns, and plain colors..for once I have every faith the factories in China can copy this.. lol

Here is what the previous one looks like :

The Allosaurus in it is pretty awesome and really felt like Jorge's 2D art...the teeth were a bit of an issue for many if I recall though..sort of prone to damage ?

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 02, 2014, 04:38:05 PM
It sort of cheapens it a bit though. It's especially upsetting to the collectors who just recently dropped the asking prices on ebay for them...
I say GOOD! I'd like to see this put an end to the stupidly high prices from sellers on eBay!  :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tyrantqueen

If you're concerned about value, the original paintjob will still be more valuable (much like the original Papo Velociraptor was)

Anyway, we've already been over this topic before so I'll just say that I don't really care about resale value in a model. I collect for beauty, so this subject doesn't concern me too much. As long as the original artist is getting the money they deserve, I don't worry too much.

I know people will think that I'm only saying this because I didn't get a chance to buy the original models (and it's true to an extent), but I would say the same about any discontinued model. Example- I like to search Jauce for discontinued Kaiyodo Dinoland models. If Kaiyodo decided tomorrow that they would re-release the entire line, I wouldn't have a problem with that. I have spent quite a bit on my Dinolands, but at the end of the day if there was an easier way to make them available to everyone, I would welcome it.

I didn't see anyone complaining when the discontinued Bullyland mammals were re-released. I bet if some company got the old Battat molds and rereleased them, no-one would be either. I know they're not a comparable worth to a SS statue, but they are still make a good amount of money at auction on eBay.

That is my

Gorgonzola

Don't want to veer too off topic, but I'm kinda in the same boat with re-issues - they don't really bother me since either A) I've already gotten something the first time around and it generally is superior to re-releases (as we see here, because that paint job on the first release is quite nice), or I missed it the first time around and I'm given the opportunity to enjoy something I wasn't able to get initially.

Man, I'm running into this right now as I've started to look around for decently accurate skeletons at an affordable price - would love to have a skeleton or two of some certain species just to have as reference. There's an ANTS allosaurus skeleton that looks quite gorgeous, but that thing is a rare find now it seems, and if you do find it it's exorbitant. Always wanted to get it for reference after seeing David Krentz's copy in his drawing dvd...
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gorgonzola on May 02, 2014, 07:07:54 PM
Don't want to veer too off topic, but I'm kinda in the same boat with re-issues - they don't really bother me since either A) I've already gotten something the first time around and it generally is superior to re-releases (as we see here, because that paint job on the first release is quite nice), or I missed it the first time around and I'm given the opportunity to enjoy something I wasn't able to get initially.

Man, I'm running into this right now as I've started to look around for decently accurate skeletons at an affordable price - would love to have a skeleton or two of some certain species just to have as reference. There's an ANTS allosaurus skeleton that looks quite gorgeous, but that thing is a rare find now it seems, and if you do find it it's exorbitant. Always wanted to get it for reference after seeing David Krentz's copy in his drawing dvd...
I liked the ANTS Allosaurus too. It always reminded me of Shane Foulkes Allosaurus kit too, did he use it for reference?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: John on May 02, 2014, 06:10:37 PM
It sort of cheapens it a bit though. It's especially upsetting to the collectors who just recently dropped the asking prices on ebay for them...
I say GOOD! I'd like to see this put an end to the stupidly high prices from sellers on eBay!  :)

I mean they just dropped the cash on ebay for these pieces and now they are being re-released. So something they worked hard to obtain has been cheapened. 

Honestly I've bought the pieces already and I'm not planning to sell them ( they will go into my dinosaur art museum someday ) , but I am concerned about how it affects the other older collectors like myself who stuck with this line from the get go and supported it as an exclusive one. 

To put it in a toy perspective..imagine how our friend would feel who bought the WWD Ornithcheirus recently if they just found a huge warehouse shipment of them that never got out and started selling them for 5.00 each . It's pretty rough.

Patrx

Not to contribute to the topic deviation, but have you seen Favorite's new skeletons? They've got an updated Allosaurus.

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 02, 2014, 08:47:08 PM
Quote from: John on May 02, 2014, 06:10:37 PM

I mean they just dropped the cash on ebay for these pieces and now they are being re-released. So something they worked hard to obtain has been cheapened. 

Honestly I've bought the pieces already and I'm not planning to sell them ( they will go into my dinosaur art museum someday ) , but I am concerned about how it affects the other older collectors like myself who stuck with this line from the get go and supported it as an exclusive one. 

To put it in a toy perspective..imagine how our friend would feel who bought the WWD Ornithcheirus recently if they just found a huge warehouse shipment of them that never got out and started selling them for 5.00 each . It's pretty rough.
This is precisely why you won't see me dropping hundreds for any Battat toys or anything like that!Besides,think of it this way:the more Sideshow gets sales from re-releases,the more likely they will come out with new models too.Who knows,if this re-release is successful,it could result in them thinking Allosaurus is a great seller and make a new huge maquette of one. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

postsaurischian

It sort of cheapens it a bit though. It's especially upsetting to the collectors who just recently dropped the asking prices on ebay for them.  It doesn't seem like a smart thing to do to alienate your fan base...especially ones willing to spend so much.  For collectors who do buy these new ones , they won't hold the same second market value as the first ones did..many collectors buy something then trade up or sell later for something better or when they are in a pinch from what I've seen.   These new pieces also look to be open editions, so Sideshow can produce as many as they want to till everyone has one.  Why strive to collect something more " higher end " when it's only as good a nice figure ? It's all very annoying and feels more and more like a cash grab by SS.  I'm guessing this one will also have that new black base on it.

It's good for new collectors. But sadly one fact is undoubtedly true - Sideshow is lying to their customers.

There's an ANTS allosaurus skeleton that looks quite gorgeous, but that thing is a rare find now it seems, and if you do find it it's exorbitant. Always wanted to get it for reference after seeing David Krentz's copy in his drawing dvd...

I should have bought the ANTS Allosaurus when it was easily available, but didn't have the money back then. I'm glad I managed to buy some of their skulls before the company stopped :).

Paleogene Pals

OK, I'm chiming in on this whole Sideshow thing.  >:(  For various reasons plus the fact that I was still in school, I did not get the first run of the Sideshow Dinosauria. Now that they are releasing repaints, I have an opportunity to get my own pieces without paying insane prices for them. I ordered the repainted Spinosaurus and plan to get the Apatosaurus when it gets re-released.  To flip the coin, I did not get upset when Kaiyodo released repainted and modified versions of their 1/20 T-rex and Allosaurus.  To me, it doesn't affect the value of my T-rex that I got over 20 years ago or the allosaur (which is sitting all chopped up in a box awaiting serious modifications by me.)  Of course, I just got my Shane Foulke's Acrocanthosaurus painted by Martin Garrett. My own unofficial addition to dinosaurian.  ::)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on May 03, 2014, 02:50:19 AM
OK, I'm chiming in on this whole Sideshow thing.  >:(  For various reasons plus the fact that I was still in school, I did not get the first run of the Sideshow Dinosauria. Now that they are releasing repaints, I have an opportunity to get my own pieces without paying insane prices for them. I ordered the repainted Spinosaurus and plan to get the Apatosaurus when it gets re-released.  To flip the coin, I did not get upset when Kaiyodo released repainted and modified versions of their 1/20 T-rex and Allosaurus.  To me, it doesn't affect the value of my T-rex that I got over 20 years ago or the allosaur (which is sitting all chopped up in a box awaiting serious modifications by me.)  Of course, I just got my Shane Foulke's Acrocanthosaurus painted by Martin Garrett. My own unofficial addition to dinosaurian.  ::)
My situation is pretty similar to yours. At the time the original Sideshows were released, I had only just started out collecting and was buying Papo toys mostly. I did not have the funds to purchase high end kits or statues. Now, this is the only way for me (short of owning a time machine) to own these models, and I'm grateful for the opportunity from Sideshow for that. I didn't know that they were re-releasing the Apato, but if it's true that makes me even more happy >:D

Btw, I own Shane Foulkes' 1/18 Acro as well, and it's a magnificent model.

Paleogene Pals

Thanks TQ. Quite frankly, I still shouldn't be spending so much money on this hobby, but it is so hard to resist all of these beautiful kits!  I put pics up of my Acro. And, I agree; it is a magnificent model!

DinoLord

Personally, I'd rather see them release new pieces rather than rehash old ones.

Also, I've noticed something interesting: on Sideshow's website the original pieces are referred to as maquettes while the reissues are referred to as statues. Perhaps some Sideshow experts can find some significance in this?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoLord on May 04, 2014, 04:12:36 AM
Personally, I'd rather see them release new pieces rather than rehash old ones.

Also, I've noticed something interesting: on Sideshow's website the original pieces are referred to as maquettes while the reissues are referred to as statues. Perhaps some Sideshow experts can find some significance in this?

Maybe Statue sounds better ?  Honestly they weren't really " maquettes " despite being called such :

ma·quette
maˈket/
noun
noun: maquette; plural noun: maquettes

a sculptor's small preliminary model or sketch.

Neither of which these pieces are.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: