You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libraraptor

Yutyrannus, this book is exactly of my taste! I have it, too and love it.
Yet it has its flaws. It´s a little too short, a little too expensive and a little too "American" with its self-adulation of four contributors on the cover. "This and that by that or this guy..." YAWN, who wants to know?
It looks so promising and professional and all you get is a small brochure with a great idea and some of its performances. Not more, not less.

Horridus

Quote from: Libraraptor on April 14, 2013, 08:20:22 PM
Yet it has its flaws. It´s a little too short, a little too expensive and a little too "American" with its self-adulation of four contributors on the cover. "This and that by that or this guy..." YAWN, who wants to know?
Ahem. Editing my original comment as I forgot Scott Hartman. OK: only ONE of the contributors is American. I've met the other three, and they're not really the self-adulating type, honestly.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

tyrantqueen

QuoteYet it has its flaws. It´s a little too short, a little too expensive and a little too "American" with its self-adulation of four contributors on the cover. "This and that by that or this guy..." YAWN, who wants to know?
I am English, but I didn't get the feeling that the book was overly American. The feeling I got from this book was that its aim was to provoke and inspire new ideas, rather than to be a showcase of artwork.

Funny how the authors seemed to be criticising GSP for starting the trend of depicting theropods as charging around everywhere with their mouths wide open and being ready to attack anything they ran into. In Predatory Dinosaurs of the World, GSP depicts an allosaurus co-existing peacefully with some herbivores. See here

And that was back in 1989.

Also, the authors made a point with the sleeping tyrannosaurus about predators spending much of their time sleeping and digesting their food. Again this was already covered by GSP in his book.

In my opinion "All Yesterdays" was decent, but was pretty over hyped for what it is. And that artwork of those tumourous Parasaurolophus was a complete joke...

amargasaurus cazaui

I think using the term American as a form of degrading comment is ill considered. I wonder if it would have been accepted if the term were African , or Chinese for instance. Just think there has to be a better method of stating the point.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 14, 2013, 11:30:53 PM
I think using the term American as a form of degrading comment is ill considered. I wonder if it would have been accepted if the term were African , or Chinese for instance. Just think there has to be a better method of stating the point.
But....how is calling someone American degrading if that's what they are...? If the term was British, I wouldn't be offended. Also, I think Libraraptor is German, therefore it could have just been his difficulty in expressing himself in a language that is not his mother tongue.

amargasaurus cazaui

If it were just a matter of calling someone American I would agree. Using terms like self adulation linked with the term or stating something could be too "american" are degrading comments I would think, and I believe others would tend to agree.
I do accept it might be due to language barriers as you suggested, but the comment I found rather unflattering . Just my thoughts.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Patrx

Quote from: Libraraptor on April 14, 2013, 08:20:22 PM
Yutyrannus, this book is exactly of my taste! I have it, too and love it.
It looks so promising and professional and all you get is a small brochure with a great idea and some of its performances. Not more, not less.
I don't mean to seem too defensive or anything here, but I'm curious to know what it is you find to be particularly "American" about self-adulation.

Simon

I think that Americans are sometimes seen as being a bit too "full of themselves" abroad.

Then again, in Europe every single person who got a Doctorate in ANY subject gets to put "dr." in their signature line.  From an American view (since the only people who get to put "Dr." in their signature lines are Medical Doctors in the USA), that might seem a bit "funny".

But its just the way its done.  A difference in culture, perhaps?

juju1305

Quote from: Simon on April 15, 2013, 04:07:26 AM
I think that Americans are sometimes seen as being a bit too "full of themselves" abroad.

Then again, in Europe every single person who got a Doctorate in ANY subject gets to put "dr." in their signature line.  From an American view (since the only people who get to put "Dr." in their signature lines are Medical Doctors in the USA), that might seem a bit "funny".

But its just the way its done.  A difference in culture, perhaps?

That's not quite exact. In some countries (Germany, Austria) it is, in some it is not (France for example).

tyrantqueen

I received my Battle-Brak Psittacosaurus today. I am really happy with it :)

Here's Pentaceratops with a distant relative...it's funny how millions of years can change things ;)

Aaron Doyle

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 15, 2013, 05:28:31 PM
I received my Battle-Brak Psittacosaurus today. I am really happy with it :)

Here's Pentaceratops with a distant relative...it's funny how millions of years can change things ;)

I'm glad you like the Psittacosaurus and that Penta model is really nice!  I might have to get one of those.

postsaurischian

Of course the new Psittacosaurus is a wonderful model, but I personally like the older version better, even if the hands were not as "accurate" as the update's. I like the running pose and the quills were more filigree on that one. Just my personal opinion :).

Takama

I recieved the Male counterpart for miss +!+!3$ in that photo

tyrantqueen

Hey, for those of us in the UK, dinosaurtime.co.uk has the new Favorites in stock. I bet they'll run out of stock fast :'(

juju1305

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 15, 2013, 09:44:19 PM
Hey, for those of us in the UK, dinosaurtime.co.uk has the new Favorites in stock. I bet they'll run out of stock fast :'(

Order placed. Just couln't resist, these are gems

Spino-rex13

I got the wild safari kaprosuchus, a really decent figure. Just a question do you guys think I should get the Carnegie Sinraptor   or the new geoworld Mapusaurus

amargasaurus cazaui

The geo world figures are decently priced for their size and so forth but are not terribly accurate. The Sinraptor on the other hand is a decent figure, that was at least as accurate as possible when released. The Carnegie figures are part of a well established line that seems over time to become collectible, with the Sinraptor itself having been retired at this point from what I can tell.

Libraraptor

I dropped a brick.
Off topic, I know, but the discussion started here so I´d like to end it here.
I want to make clear that I am not anti-American.
And I did not mean to insult Darren Naish and the other three contributors, in truth I´d love to meet everyone in person if I had the chanceto  and do a little dinomania talking.
Insulting or offending anyone was not my intense.
I just found it disproportionate to list four contributors at the cover of such a small brochure.
They CAN be proud of their idea, and they implemented it it well and decently. But someone HAD to draw the skeletons...
But maybe I had expected a bigger, fatter book with even more paintings and strange ideas on this matter. You all know I love Dougal Dixon´s speculative Zoology and all this stuff.
I know I was wrong with the disproportional way I expressed this  disappointment. I dropped a brick. Sorry for that. Sometimes I am somewhat clumsy.

Horridus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 14, 2013, 10:16:27 PM
Funny how the authors seemed to be criticising GSP for starting the trend of depicting theropods as charging around everywhere with their mouths wide open and being ready to attack anything they ran into.
Not really - there's this idea that illustrators have been conforming to much to the GSP style, but I don't think anyone's criticised him for starting behaviour tropes.

Also...

Good grief, I just spent far too much money....
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Horridus on April 16, 2013, 08:31:40 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 14, 2013, 10:16:27 PM
Funny how the authors seemed to be criticising GSP for starting the trend of depicting theropods as charging around everywhere with their mouths wide open and being ready to attack anything they ran into.
Not really - there's this idea that illustrators have been conforming to much to the GSP style, but I don't think anyone's criticised him for starting behaviour tropes.

Also...

Good grief, I just spent far too much money....
Ok, but my point still stands about Predatory Dinosaurs of the World doing many things way before All Yesterdays did.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: