News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sumo

Out of curiosity I bought Karl Shuker's Dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals on stamps. Knowing next to nothing about stamp collecting I'm going to assume it's relatively complete and accurate. A little light on illustrations, sadly, and none are in color - still, I've learned that the really well illustrated stamp catalogs are among the most expensive books out there, whereas this volume cost me all of NOK 98 (about $15). It did get me interested enough to start looking for better sources, and I think that's the main purpose of this kind of book.
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

sauroid

got some very nice/decent chinasaurs a couple of months ago (if anyone knows any info about them, please let me know. tia)
Parasaurolophus

Pachycephalosaurus

Spinosaurus

T. rex

Triceratops

and this very cool knockoff of the Kaiyodo dino tales series Liopleurodon by Waiphoon (it is five times bigger than the Kaiyodo figure and hollow)

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Sumo

Congrats! I have that trike and Spino, think they're made by Toy Major? (If there's a TM bellystamp, they are.) The Para reminds me of the old Collecta in sculpting style and texture, possibly a knockoff?
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

FUTABA

Quote from: Sumo on June 25, 2013, 09:05:54 PM
The Para reminds me of the old Collecta in sculpting style and texture, possibly a knockoff?
I was thinking the same thing. Also that Lio looks awesome. I have the Kaiyodo one but it'd be nice to get a big brother for him.
I really really like blue things.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I hardly ever see any good chinasaurs around here..would love to stumble across that one myself.  :)

Bokisaurus

Cool catches everyone! ;D
I have been looking forever for that Waiphoon Liops! Let me know if you find an extra one ;)

FUTABA

Got a Takara Tomy Spinosaurus but his legs are all bent and he's all leant over like he's drunk. I want to fix it with a hairdryer or something but I'm a bit apprehensive as I feel I might damage the figure.

Also got a Kaiyodo Tyrannosaurus and Yutyrannus. They are immense. Can't get my head around just how good their newer figures are, and I like the little people that come with them for scale, it's a nice touch.

Sumo

Nice newcomers! (and hey, you have blue hair too? :D) I guess I really need that Yutyrannus (been telling myself I can't afford anything, but my willpower is waning fast).
I find hot water usually works on models that aren't hairdryer safe.
- Dr Darren Naish

Takama

My first geoworld.   Better then I thought.  Except the fact that the painters were a little sloppy and got orange on the poor guys leg

FUTABA

Quote from: Sumo on June 26, 2013, 07:55:15 PM
Nice newcomers! (and hey, you have blue hair too? :D) I guess I really need that Yutyrannus (been telling myself I can't afford anything, but my willpower is waning fast).

Yeah I have blue hair. :) (The lighting makes it look more faded than it actually is). I like to imagine it's a feathery plumage because I need to keep myself occupied with things like that due to a chronic lack of a social life.

I got my Yutyrannus pretty cheap on Ebay, forgot how much but well worth it anyhow. And I know exactly how you feel about not feeling able to afford things (also I'm seriously running out of room for everything, got stuff just piled on the floor nowadays). Ebay is both a gift and a curse in many respects...

And I think I'll try hot water at some point, probably give my little Safari Toob Caudipteryx the same treatment too. He always looks like he needs a wee.

FUTABA

Quote from: Takama on June 26, 2013, 08:57:29 PM

My first geoworld.   Better then I thought.  Except the fact that the painters were a little sloppy and got orange on the poor guys leg

Oooh that's purdy! What genus is it depicting? Can't make out the writing on the little fact sheet thing.

Sumo

Quote from: FUTABA on June 26, 2013, 09:49:45 PM

Yeah I have blue hair. :) (The lighting makes it look more faded than it actually is). I like to imagine it's a feathery plumage because I need to keep myself occupied with things like that due to a chronic lack of a social life.

You and me both! Mine is a bit brighter (for now, anyway) but fading fast. It's nice to stay away from non-mammal colors once in a while.
- Dr Darren Naish

Takama

Quote from: FUTABA on June 26, 2013, 09:53:50 PM
Quote from: Takama on June 26, 2013, 08:57:29 PM

Oooh that's purdy! What genus is it depicting? Can't make out the writing on the little fact sheet thing.

Its troodon.   Decent replica too. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

I really like this Troodon replica..it looks a lot like the pose David has for his upcoming piece though. I'm trying to hold out for it .. ;)

FUTABA

Where did you get him Takama? I'm going to have to add that to my 'to get' list.

FUTABA

Quote from: Sumo on June 26, 2013, 10:15:41 PM

You and me both! Mine is a bit brighter (for now, anyway) but fading fast. It's nice to stay away from non-mammal colors once in a while.

Exactemundo!  ^-^

EDIT: Oh wait I read that wrong... I prefer to keep away from mammalian colours.  ;)

Turret

Quote from: sauroid on June 25, 2013, 08:22:37 PM
got some very nice/decent chinasaurs a couple of months ago (if anyone knows any info about them, please let me know. tia)
Parasaurolophus

Pachycephalosaurus

Spinosaurus

T. rex

Triceratops

and this very cool knockoff of the Kaiyodo dino tales series Liopleurodon by Waiphoon (it is five times bigger than the Kaiyodo figure and hollow)

I've come across those chinasaurs before. They come in bags of 5 (used to be 6 a few years ago). The bag has no information on who makes them (other than Made in China), just info on the distributor for my country. Apart from the ones you potet there is also a styracosaurus, brachiosaurus, apatosaurus, ceratosaurus, a ankylosaurid and a raptor. They make good candidates for repainting.

tyrantqueen

That Troodon has a lot of potential to be a decent model...I just don't like the colour scheme :P The green and the blue don't blend too well.

Sumo

Quote from: FUTABA on June 27, 2013, 12:00:12 AM
Quote from: Sumo on June 26, 2013, 10:15:41 PM

Exactemundo!  ^-^

EDIT: Oh wait I read that wrong... I prefer to keep away from mammalian colours.  ;)

No, I wrote it wrong!  :-[ Accidentally combined the beginning of one sentence with the end of another, resulting in me saying the opposite of what I intended.  So much for trying to be coherent on only 4 hours of sleep... ::)
- Dr Darren Naish

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: