You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

Quote from: SBell on July 05, 2012, 05:50:35 PM
You'd love the Bully mammals then--they are almost all clearly males.  Not as disturbingly so as the CollectA Megacerops, but definitively so.

That I did notice, but in their case it's just not so on in your face as with the Tsintaosaurus.

Metallisuchus

Quote from: SBell on July 05, 2012, 05:50:35 PM
Quote from: Takama on July 05, 2012, 05:35:33 PM
Quote from: Metallisuchus on July 05, 2012, 05:30:41 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on July 05, 2012, 05:24:32 PM
Tsintaosaurus has a thing too?! Oh my!

On its head,  yes. Scroll up - see that large orange set of uh... frank & beans for head ornamentation?

LOL

You'd love the Bully mammals then--they are almost all clearly males.  Not as disturbingly so as the CollectA Megacerops, but definitively so.

Hahaha! It's not like we want a sausage-fest of a prehistoric collection.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Roselaar

Got a Kaiyodo Dino Tales Elasmosaurus (black) from Copper.

Meso-Cenozoic

I love that little Elasmosaurus, especially the black one!

And Chris, I like the Papo Tylo as well. It def looks better in person, right!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on July 07, 2012, 10:28:59 AM
I love that little Elasmosaurus, especially the black one!

And Chris, I like the Papo Tylo as well. It def looks better in person, right!

The Papo Tylo def looks better than the stock photos (strangely depicted the Tylo as possessing a muppet-like, almost feathery texture)---the actual figure is more greenish than initially portrayed. It's rather ironic that the Papo Tylosaurus is more monitor-like, and thus, more accurate than its predecessors (including the Carnegie rendition), but concurrently stifled by an "unforgivable", inaccurate swan neck (the "swan neck" contributes to the uber-retro-ness of the model)

Horridus

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 07, 2012, 08:21:52 PM
It's rather ironic that the Papo Tylosaurus is more monitor-like, and thus, more accurate than its predecessors (including the Carnegie rendition)
....No.
Tylosaurus was a mosasaur. Mosasaurs were closely related to monitor lizards, but WEREN'T monitor lizards. The Carnegie is far more accurate than the Papo version, because it's closer to a mosasaur than a monitor lizard in appearance. :P
If you're referring to the scales, the Carnegie version probably skipped them because they were very, very fine.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

SBell

Quote from: Horridus on July 07, 2012, 08:42:25 PM
It's rather ironic that the Papo Tylosaurus is more monitor-like, and thus, more accurate than its predecessors (including the Carnegie rendition)
....No.
Tylosaurus was a mosasaur. Mosasaurs were closely related to monitor lizards, but WEREN'T monitor lizards. The Carnegie is far more accurate than the Papo version, because it's closer to a mosasaur than a monitor lizard in appearance. :P
If you're referring to the scales, the Carnegie version probably skipped them because they were very, very fine.

Seconded. Under no circumstances would the Papo even be considered close to accurate in any measure.

tanystropheus

Yup, I was referring to the scales, and the infamous "Everything Dinosaur" commentary regarding the Papo Tylosaurus appearing more "monitor-like". How were the scales determined to be very, very fine?

tanystropheus

Quote from: SBell on July 07, 2012, 10:04:48 PM
....No.

Seconded. Under no circumstances would the Papo even be considered close to accurate in any measure.

Lol.  Unless, by coincidence... :P

Yeah, the Papo Tylo is def not accurate (e.g. the "swan neck")...

Seijun

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 07, 2012, 10:23:18 PM

Yup, I was referring to the scales, and the infamous "Everything Dinosaur" commentary regarding the Papo Tylosaurus being more "monitor-like". How were the scales determined to be very, very fine?

Because we have the fossil skeleton (partial) and fossilized skin impressions to go with it :)
http://www.livescience.com/17071-mosasaur-fossil-skin-locomotion.html
"The fossilized skin and skeleton unearthed in Kansas in 1953 belonged to a mosasaur — Ectenosaurus clidastoindes —stretching some 16 feet (5 meters) in length, though only the front half of its body was discovered. ... The fossils suggest the mosasaur's scales were less than a tenth of an inch long (only a few millimeters). These scales were oval-shaped and had a ridge along the middle to help them lock together, channel water, and also to provide an area for the skin to attach underneath."

It should also be noted that these remains were not described until after the carnegie model was released.

EDIT: After a little further reading, it seems that scales on mosasaurs have been known about since the 1870's! http://www.oceansofkansas.com/Snow1878.html
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Seijun on July 07, 2012, 10:35:54 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on July 07, 2012, 10:23:18 PM

Yup, I was referring to the scales, and the infamous "Everything Dinosaur" commentary regarding the Papo Tylosaurus being more "monitor-like". How were the scales determined to be very, very fine?

Because we have the fossil skeleton (partial) and fossilized skin impressions to go with it :)
http://www.livescience.com/17071-mosasaur-fossil-skin-locomotion.html
"The fossilized skin and skeleton unearthed in Kansas in 1953 belonged to a mosasaur — Ectenosaurus clidastoindes —stretching some 16 feet (5 meters) in length, though only the front half of its body was discovered. ... The fossils suggest the mosasaur's scales were less than a tenth of an inch long (only a few millimeters). These scales were oval-shaped and had a ridge along the middle to help them lock together, channel water, and also to provide an area for the skin to attach underneath."

It should also be noted that these remains were not described until after the carnegie model was released.

EDIT: After a little further reading, it seems that scales on mosasaurs have been known about since the 1870's! http://www.oceansofkansas.com/Snow1878.html

1870's, wow that is surprising! Thanks for the information--I wasn't aware of the fact that the fossilized skin impressions were already known.  The Carnegie Tylosaurus is currently my favorite Safari Ltd. model.  Forest Rogers prototype for the Tylosaurus was also gorgeous and very organic-- fortunately, the mass-market model sported a top-notch coat of paint. I would love to see Carnegie make more marine reptiles and mammals (Basilosaurus!) in the near future...

Meso-Cenozoic

Well, I also agree that the Carnegie Tylo is obviously way more accurate and overall, a much more handsome piece than the Papo. I was just pleasantly surprised how much better looking the Papo was in person than in the catalog pics. He def reminds me of the retro movie monster/prehistoric sea creatures I'd seen as a kid. So if only for that reason, he has a warm place in my collection!  ^-^

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on July 08, 2012, 06:49:12 AM
Well, I also agree that the Carnegie Tylo is obviously way more accurate and overall, a much more handsome piece than the Papo. I was just pleasantly surprised how much better looking the Papo was in person than in the catalog pics. He def reminds me of the retro movie monster/prehistoric sea creatures I'd seen as a kid. So if only for that reason, he has a warm place in my collection!  ^-^

Exactly !  ;D

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 08, 2012, 07:47:35 AM
Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on July 08, 2012, 06:49:12 AM

Exactly !  ;D

That's what Papo is all about really - movie monsters. Their Allosaurus resembles Godzilla from the late 90's remake (mostly in the overall appearance of it's body), and the new rex resembles the V. rex from the Kong remake.

Paleona

I was at the grocery store today, and couldn't pass up this "impulse buy" in the cereal aisle:
Oops  O:-)

Gwangi

Our grocery store has those as well, I bought a couple some years ago. Don't know where the skeletons ended up though.

Bokisaurus

More CollectA invassion ;D
[

Takama

Wow, Never thoght that they were so tiny

sauroid

just got these:
Battat knock-offs

mini chinasaurs  ;)

Fame Master 4d puzzle Brachiosaurus

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: