You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on April 06, 2017, 07:53:05 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 06, 2017, 04:51:38 AM
finally scored these Marx Flintstones Hunting Party set dinos!  Just need the big headed Rex now...anyone have one for sale?

Congratulations Chris, that stegosaurus is in better shape than mine was when I got it. Good luck with the T rex.

Thanks bud! As hard as I looked I ended up just stumbling across them heh  Did you fix yours?  My Brontosaurus has a few seam gaps but from what i've found online that "seams" normal.  lol   If you ever see one you know who will give it a good home! ;)  A neat note is Mike's Dino Collectibles book list the entire set with box as : rare, 150-300.00  i'd have paid that lol

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 06, 2017, 08:55:00 PM
Nice find, Chris :)

Thank you. :)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 07, 2017, 05:44:02 AM
finally scored these Marx Flintstones Hunting Party set dinos!  Just need the big headed Rex now...anyone have one for sale?

Congratulations Chris, that stegosaurus is in better shape than mine was when I got it. Good luck with the T rex.

Thanks bud! As hard as I looked I ended up just stumbling across them heh  Did you fix yours? 

Yes the pictures that I have of mine on my collection page are with the repairs I made. It turned out well I would be surprised if anyone could tell where the repairs were, I also had to repair the T rex.  If I see another for sale I will let you know.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 06, 2017, 04:32:05 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on April 06, 2017, 02:01:18 PM
Quote from: sauroid on April 06, 2017, 08:24:08 AM
are those huge Marx solid plastic?

They are large, but they're not solid. These fragile hollow toys are rarely found in one piece. I have fragments from all three, but no complete one yet.

Sadly true. I was surprised both of these were free of damage , aside from it looks like one had a crayon or paint applied at one point then was cleaned but not well. I'm afraid to try anything myself so will leave as is.  If you flip through completed auctions on ebay there are very rarely any of them that don't have cracks or breaks.  I guess hollow was cheaper to produce and ship ...but man solid ones in a big line would have been epic!  like the U.S. Invicta  lol
I can speculate at least why they are hollow....remember they were part of a playset that came boxed....haven't measured in awhile but I think the box is along the lines of 2 feet by 14 inches by 4 1/2 deep give or take? The stegosaurus might have cleared or been close, but the bronto looks like it would have been problematic. Seems far more sensible to pack them in the box in halves, on runners to be put together, making them hollow so they would fit easily. Aside from and nevermind imagine with their size, even if they fit, being solid and all that heavy loose weight sliding around inside smashing, and breaking the various pieces. that suggests they were sold in halves and were assembled when purchased...just a guess. You could likely find sprue marks on the pieces if the theory holds...dunno
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Lanthanotus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 07, 2017, 03:28:07 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 06, 2017, 04:32:05 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on April 06, 2017, 02:01:18 PM
Quote from: sauroid on April 06, 2017, 08:24:08 AM
are those huge Marx solid plastic?

They are large, but they're not solid. These fragile hollow toys are rarely found in one piece. I have fragments from all three, but no complete one yet.

Sadly true. I was surprised both of these were free of damage , aside from it looks like one had a crayon or paint applied at one point then was cleaned but not well. I'm afraid to try anything myself so will leave as is.  If you flip through completed auctions on ebay there are very rarely any of them that don't have cracks or breaks.  I guess hollow was cheaper to produce and ship ...but man solid ones in a big line would have been epic!  like the U.S. Invicta  lol
I can speculate at least why they are hollow....remember they were part of a playset that came boxed....haven't measured in awhile but I think the box is along the lines of 2 feet by 14 inches by 4 1/2 deep give or take? The stegosaurus might have cleared or been close, but the bronto looks like it would have been problematic. Seems far more sensible to pack them in the box in halves, on runners to be put together, making them hollow so they would fit easily. Aside from and nevermind imagine with their size, even if they fit, being solid and all that heavy loose weight sliding around inside smashing, and breaking the various pieces. that suggests they were sold in halves and were assembled when purchased...just a guess. You could likely find sprue marks on the pieces if the theory holds...dunno

I agree that your argument makes a lot of sense, I would like to add this link anyway(click) which shows the box sectioned into several parts. However, transport, handling and security for playing might be also of consideration for the weight and production of the figures.

amargasaurus cazaui

Seems to eliminate most of my argument if the packaging there is original....except for the weight and sliding about possibilities....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on April 07, 2017, 01:34:04 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 07, 2017, 05:44:02 AM

Thanks bud! As hard as I looked I ended up just stumbling across them heh  Did you fix yours? 

Yes the pictures that I have of mine on my collection page are with the repairs I made. It turned out well I would be surprised if anyone could tell where the repairs were, I also had to repair the T rex.  If I see another for sale I will let you know.

Wow, I can't tell at all with any certainty. Maybe a hairline fracture on the largest plate? Honestly I wouldn't have even thought it was damaged if you hadn't told me. 

Thanks, I definitely need the Rex, not sure if I care what color or not.. lol  Any idea if there were color sets?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 07, 2017, 04:31:06 PM
Wow, I can't tell at all with any certainty. Maybe a hairline fracture on the largest plate? Honestly I wouldn't have even thought it was damaged if you hadn't told me. 

Thanks, I definitely need the Rex, not sure if I care what color or not.. lol  Any idea if there were color sets?

Nope, I hadn't even noticed the crack I just looked at it and you have to hold it at the right angle to see it. It doesn't flex so maybe it was in the mould. There were more than one mould for some of these because I have noticed that some have the names embossed on them and others don't. I actually made four repairs to missing pieces on this one. My T rex was missing an arm and I repaired that as well.

From the sets that I have seen in the boxes they were all mixed colours but who knows if those dinos even came with those boxes since often sellers put sets together from different sources. Joe DeMarco told me Marx reissued these around 1966 for sale individually in Five & Dime stores.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on April 07, 2017, 05:07:44 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 07, 2017, 04:31:06 PM

Nope, I hadn't even noticed the crack I just looked at it and you have to hold it at the right angle to see it. It doesn't flex so maybe it was in the mould. There were more than one mould for some of these because I have noticed that some have the names embossed on them and others don't. I actually made four repairs to missing pieces on this one. My T rex was missing an arm and I repaired that as well.

From the sets that I have seen in the boxes they were all mixed colours but who knows if those dinos even came with those boxes since often sellers put sets together from different sources. Joe DeMarco told me Marx reissued these around 1966 for sale individually in Five & Dime stores.

Yeah it may not even be a crack just a moulding line.    Interesting, mine have names and lengths on them, I wonder if that was particular to the boxed sets or the individual pieces?    It's a shame the things you miss out on not being born yet..lol   Of course I played pretty rough with my toys so that's no guarantee of survival either.. ;)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 07, 2017, 05:29:12 PM
It's a shame the things you miss out on not being born yet..lol   Of course I played pretty rough with my toys so that's no guarantee of survival either.. ;)

Heck I was around back then and I never saw them up here. If I had I would have bugged Mom to get it for me. I never even noticed the Marx Prehistoric Times Playsets in the catalogues and apparently my older brother had one but it was all gone by the time I could play with them....or maybe he fed them to me. All I noticed were the loose Marx dinos in the museum shop and the Flintstones set in the Sears Wishbook that I did get for Christmas. Of course except for two dinos I have had to re-acquire everything.

Daspletotyrannus

I just got my Battat Edmontonia with the tag today.  Slowly getting all the old Battat dinosaurs that hasn't been added to the Terra line.  I always thought the Edmontonia looked strange but having it hand it looks great.  Still waiting for the repaints as are so many people too. I need to get now is the Maiasaura, Utahraptor, Gallimimus, Pachycephalosaurus,  Dilophosaurus,  and Diplodocus  (I'll just wait for the repaint on this one. Lol).

CrypticPrism

I went to this huge toy shop today and they had the biggest selection of safari dinosaurs I've ever seen. I'm glad I was able to see the new figures in person, I could've bought the feathered velociraptor(it's quite a bit larger than I thought), but realized I could've by the time we were on the way home. The kronosaurus is very soft(rubbery plastic), and the tylosaurus is smaller than I thought. The Einiosaurus looks amazing, as they all do. But what did I get? Why am I posting this in recent acquisitions? All of your questions will be answered after this commercial break!

I was able to get my hands on the almighty king of the skies!

Here's it in the driveway.

On the way home when I realized that I needed that velociraptor.

But, Easter is coming soon, and my parents get us stuff for Easter.

I have a devilish plan: I'm asking for the stuff I was going to ask my grandparents for for Easter, give the WS pterosaur and CollectA temnodontosaurus birthing, and ask my grandparents for the 2 remaining CollectA mammals(except the thylacine.), the arsinoitherium and the deinotherium.

"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

microraptorgui

Quote from: CrypticPrism on April 09, 2017, 03:07:02 AM
I went to this huge toy shop today and they had the biggest selection of safari dinosaurs I've ever seen. I'm glad I was able to see the new figures in person, I could've bought the feathered velociraptor(it's quite a bit larger than I thought), but realized I could've by the time we were on the way home. The kronosaurus is very soft(rubbery plastic), and the tylosaurus is smaller than I thought. The Einiosaurus looks amazing, as they all do. But what did I get? Why am I posting this in recent acquisitions? All of your questions will be answered after this commercial break!

I was able to get my hands on the almighty king of the skies!

Here's it in the driveway.

On the way home when I realized that I needed that velociraptor.

But, Easter is coming soon, and my parents get us stuff for Easter.

I have a devilish plan: I'm asking for the stuff I was going to ask my grandparents for for Easter, give the WS pterosaur and CollectA temnodontosaurus birthing, and ask my grandparents for the 2 remaining CollectA mammals(except the thylacine.), the arsinoitherium and the deinotherium.

Cool, man. Would you mind sharing the name and location of the toy shop?
I sell original dinosaur art on canvas, shirts, dresses, stickers, phone covers, and a whole bunch of other stuff!
Check it out at www.redbubble.com/people/microraptorgui/shop!

CrypticPrism

It's in Louisiana.

And before you ask, I don't have a country accent.

I hate seafood,sports, hunting, swamps, parades, jazz music, country accents, and hillbillies so I just had to be born in Louisiana ::).
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on April 07, 2017, 05:50:46 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 07, 2017, 05:29:12 PM
It's a shame the things you miss out on not being born yet..lol   Of course I played pretty rough with my toys so that's no guarantee of survival either.. ;)

Heck I was around back then and I never saw them up here. If I had I would have bugged Mom to get it for me. I never even noticed the Marx Prehistoric Times Playsets in the catalogues and apparently my older brother had one but it was all gone by the time I could play with them....or maybe he fed them to me. All I noticed were the loose Marx dinos in the museum shop and the Flintstones set in the Sears Wishbook that I did get for Christmas. Of course except for two dinos I have had to re-acquire everything.

lol well they say you are what you eat!   One of the cool things about being an adult s the ability to reaquire things you once had now that you appreciate them more ;) 

I had a later set called Rulers of the Earth I think JCPenny or SEARS carried , had the Marx guys in a marble brown, grey  colors.  still havent found one i could afford yet.  been tempted by those Flintstone sets though, I've been on a Flintstone kick for a few weeks now...

Roselaar

Quote from: CrypticPrism on April 09, 2017, 03:29:02 AM
It's in Louisiana.

And before you ask, I don't have a country accent.

I hate seafood,sports, hunting, swamps, parades, jazz music, country accents, and hillbillies so I just had to be born in Louisiana ::).

Wow, that's tough luck! But at least you have this awesome store to make up for it. ;)

Jose S.M.

This are my most recent figures

I wasn't sure of Microraptor but now that I have it I love it! and my Shunosaurus it's fine, I dont see sloppy paintjob like I've read it suffers from. I'm getting close to all the pre 2016 CollectA's I want  :D.

BlueKrono

I see my favorite dinosaur...
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

CrypticPrism

Okay guys, sorta bad news. My mom bought all the stuff but all the ebay except the smilodon, which will come late April. She then told me to pick a few of my favorite eBay figures, which I picked the rex, torvo, and thalassomedon. She told me she would open a PayPal account for me so that I could sell my (JP) papos, Schleichs, and carnegies I don't need, so that I can get the others on the list eventually. She also told me to please pick something non-dinosaur related, to which I just shrugged. I'm also getting a fidget spinner, so Yay.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

On Sunday I will be getting the 2010 Safari Ltd. Apatosaurus from Michael's. I might also pick up the Vagaceratops or the 2008 Velociraptor. I love the pose on it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: