You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeapingLaelaps

Not the most amazing, exotic figure ever made but I finally got the Safari Prehistoric Crocs TOOB

It's never really been on my wishlist but after seeing it in real life and getting a closer look at the models I decided to get it. Some of the toys are really wonky (one foot not on ground properly, paint chipping off, etc) but they're pretty cool. I'm really glad that they put the names on the bottom, I'm not familiar with most prehistoric crocs so it was super nice that they added that! ^-^

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: sauroid on May 09, 2017, 02:49:50 PM
i am more concerned about your dog's health/well being than the loss of that figure.
Yeah, thanks, I would be too, but I miswrote it, i meant to say that he chewed on it beyond repair, not that he actually ingested it! ;)
-Zhuchengotyrant

tanystropheus

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on May 09, 2017, 09:49:15 PM
Quote from: sauroid on May 09, 2017, 02:49:50 PM
i am more concerned about your dog's health/well being than the loss of that figure.
Yeah, thanks, I would be too, but I miswrote it, i meant to say that he chewed on it beyond repair, not that he actually ingested it! ;)

Good to hear that your dog is doing well.

Isn't there a saying on the forum, that battle damage on figures give them character....

ceratopsian

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on May 09, 2017, 09:49:15 PM
...... i meant to say that he chewed on it beyond repair, not that he actually ingested it! ;)

I'm mightily relieved to hear this (but suspected you really meant he'd had a good chew)!

Fembrogon

Quote from: Rhamphorhynchus on May 09, 2017, 08:21:54 PM
Not the most amazing, exotic figure ever made but I finally got the Safari Prehistoric Crocs TOOB

It's never really been on my wishlist but after seeing it in real life and getting a closer look at the models I decided to get it. Some of the toys are really wonky (one foot not on ground properly, paint chipping off, etc) but they're pretty cool. I'm really glad that they put the names on the bottom, I'm not familiar with most prehistoric crocs so it was super nice that they added that! ^-^
The Prehistoric Crocs TOOB is very cool; sadly most of the TOOBs I see at Michael's (the one store chain around that carries them) tend to have scuffed or slightly warped figures. Either Michael's doesn't handle its stock well, or (I'm betting) the TOOB packaging just isn't that healthy for the figures.

In my own news, this fellow arrived today from Amazon:

The Favorite co. Soft Model (series 2) Ankylosaurus! Mine has some sloppy paint apps, but otherwise it's a splendid figure - makes a great pair with the Battat Terra Euoplocephalus!

Jose S.M.

I have one of those on the way, from Amazon too.

ZoPteryx

Nice!  I didn't know Favorites were on Amazon, I'll have to pick one up one day.

Had I known, I probably would've added one to this recent lot!  :))

Really pleased with all of them, figures and books* alike!  Paint apps on the Safari figures are generally good, a few extra or missing spots here or there, nothing major, except for the claws of the Suchomimus, which are only painted on their underside!  ???  And the two WWD figures, courtesy of Stargatedalek, are great as well.  Love all the birdy noises the Troodon makes!  :))

*I've actually had all but the shark book a few weeks now and have read through them, highly recommend them all!  Fish fans need those two field guides in their collection (and the shark book too based on a brief skim  ;)) and the bird book is a real gem!  Tyrannosaur Chronicles is also excellent, those who stay up-to-date in dinosaur palaeontology probably won't learn anything too new, but it still provides an excellent and fair summary of all current theories on the tyrant dinosaurs.

Jose S.M.

Great figures and books!

laticauda

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 09, 2017, 06:33:05 PM
It will probably pass right through.

I recently found a Jurassic World Basher & Biter Velociraptor "Blue" at my local TK Maxx. Not planning to keep it, but given the current online prices, it might become useful at some point. Keeping it in box.

When I bought most of my JW stuff it was on sale at target.  It seemed like they were trying to give them away.  Given the quality of the product, I am amazed at some of the prices that they go for online. 

BlueKrono

Zopteryx, is that book about Helicoprion? Most mysterious fossil ever!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ZoPteryx

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 10, 2017, 05:29:39 AM

Yes, yes it is!  ;D

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on May 10, 2017, 03:44:28 AM
Great figures and books!

Thanks!

SBell

Quote from: ZoPteryx on May 10, 2017, 08:12:32 PM

Yes, yes it is!  ;D

I just finished reading that book--it is indeed excellent. It was amusing to read how Ray Troll just doesn't want to give up the gill slits on Helicoprion to keep it sharky enough for him. Even if it's unlikely.

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on May 10, 2017, 09:59:49 PM
Quote from: ZoPteryx on May 10, 2017, 08:12:32 PM

Yes, yes it is!  ;D

I just finished reading that book--it is indeed excellent. It was amusing to read how Ray Troll just doesn't want to give up the gill slits on Helicoprion to keep it sharky enough for him. Even if it's unlikely.

If he doesn't want to give them up for Helicoprion, he'll have a REAL hard time giving them up for Cladoselache.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

No gill slits? What's an alternative depiction?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

stargatedalek

I assume they'd have "open" gill exits like rays? Or would they have more traditional fish like gill covers?

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 11, 2017, 07:19:32 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on May 11, 2017, 08:36:40 PM
I assume they'd have "open" gill exits like rays? Or would they have more traditional fish like gill covers?

I'm mistaken, it turns out. Helicoprion (almost definitely) and Cladoselache (likely but far from certainly) are more closely related to ratfishes than to sharks, so I was thinking they might just have an operculum (ratfishes also lack the spiracle that rays and slow-moving sharks use to augment their oxygen intake). The same might be true of Helicoprion, but I just looked over some Cladoselache fossils and some of them preserve the gills slits, so there's no alternative depiction for them. Helicoprion is in an ambiguous part of the tree but could easily have had an operculum.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 11, 2017, 09:02:03 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on May 11, 2017, 07:19:32 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on May 11, 2017, 08:36:40 PM

I'm mistaken, it turns out. Helicoprion (almost definitely) and Cladoselache (likely but far from certainly) are more closely related to ratfishes than to sharks, so I was thinking they might just have an operculum (ratfishes also lack the spiracle that rays and slow-moving sharks use to augment their oxygen intake). The same might be true of Helicoprion, but I just looked over some Cladoselache fossils and some of them preserve the gills slits, so there's no alternative depiction for them. Helicoprion is in an ambiguous part of the tree but could easily have had an operculum.

Apparently the preference is for the opercula, like chimaeras, according to some of the researchers discussed in the book. But, until fossils are found for sure, either way can work--it's not like Helicoprion hasn't been mostly speculative for so long already. The book is great for all of the Helicoprion depictions over time that it includes. There were some...unusual...thoughts. The Yowies version turned out to be conservative (if still incorrect!).

Minmiminime

A slightly odd one, here...a birthday gift, courtesy of my mum and dad. It's an Edge Sculptures pop T. rex head, and photos don't really do it justice! It's about 1/3 life size and is actually quite frightening!

https://goo.gl/photos/vxDguk7vUghTvPjZ8
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Papi-Anon

My inner child is crying tears of joy today.

Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Lanthanotus

I spot a lot of nice acquisitions out there,... and it's always a pleasure to see pics here with that kind of rare and by chance findings that make people really happy :)

For me the Safari Iguanaodon, CollectA Struthiomimus and Thalassomedon dropped in today :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: