You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

While my main acquisition for this year wasn't anything dinosaur related (click if you are interested) and dug a big hole in my wallet, I was nevertheless able to add several things to my collections with selling some stuff, refilling my paypal account. Still, not as many dinosaurs there as I already have the majority of figures I want (at least for now) and have to wait for several releases, better to say the time German retailers finally stock those models (CollectA Dimorphodon, Mojo Allosaurus,...)

So I begin with the - in my opinion - no.1 LEGO model of this year, the Saturn V, an enormous scale replica of the "moon rocket", dismountable into its several booster stages and with replicas of the command module which returned to earth) and the lunar module which can also be inserted into the rocket. The whole assembly stands a proud metre tall, dwarfing even the bigger dinosaur models. If you are only faintly interested in rockets and/or space, I highly recommend this detailed model.

I also started to collect some "post-dinosaurian" animals (yes, I know there's birds among them ;)) and found that for the first time I am bothered with scale, probably because there's not such a big array of models as with most dinosaur figures. The CollectA models are all supposed to be 1:40, but I can't help feeling that this Kelenken is by far exaggerated in size while the Arsinoitherium looks a bit on the small side. Also, those Safari mammoths are nice but so tiny in comparison. (Not that some of the figures are customized or in the progress of).

Recently I got aware of this fine model by Kaiyodo by a post in this forum and I felt the need to add this figure to my collection, though I do only occasionally buy recent animal figures.

By chance I found this rare Dinoriders figure, a fine opportunity to add the first and probably best toy Placerias to my collection.

acro-man of this forum helped me to acquire this stunning model of Mamenchisaurus. It's fully packed with detail and almost looks as if it just could start breathing and strolling along your desktop (sorry for the badly focussed photos on that one).

Halichoeres

Nice new pieces, Lanthanotus! The Saturn V is very imposing.

You're right about the scale on the CollectA Cenozoic figures. The Kelenken is probably more like 1:10-1:15.

That Mamenchisaurus is amazing. I'm going to have to pick that up.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

Excellent figures! And what an amazing rocket. If I didn't spend enough money on Lego already, I might very well go for that one as well.

Lanthanotus

... well, the Saturn V is not a particular cheap model to be sure, but the price per part ratio is very good and all the printed parts are real prints, no stickers used, so LEGO really did go the extra mile on this set (there's 3, better to say 4 astronaut figures in there (one spare) btw as the Apollo team consisted of 3). But yes, I know one can be hard pressed to deceide which sets to afford and which to pass - for me this year it was easy though (not much classic SW there :D).

Roselaar

I still haven't build my 400+ euro Lego Death Star, so I'm good for the rest of the year... :)

Lanthanotus

Haha, good fun with that one... I had and have to pass on that one, but it would be a great model to have (and play) :).

Shonisaurus

I also have ordered the mamenchisaurus to Acro-man and with a little luck I bought it is a beauty for the eyes that figure PNSO does not have to envy any toy dinosaur company.

The mamenchisaurus is nice. Thanks for the beautiful photos.   8)  :)

suspsy

New toys! The four on the left are from MiniZoo; the four on the right come courtesy of the Indian River Reptile Zoo!

Untitled by Suspsy Three, on Flickr
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

BlueKrono

Wow, that CollectA Basilosaurus is snakey. Nice figures!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Shonisaurus

The basilosaurus is longer than a day without bread.

By the way, has anyone bought the uintatherium?

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Lanthanotus on July 09, 2017, 05:38:31 PM

Recently I got aware of this fine model by Kaiyodo by a post in this forum and I felt the need to add this figure to my collection, though I do only occasionally buy recent animal figures.

Good to see more love for this fellow, he's one of my favourite figures of any species.  ^-^ I'd love to see more amphibians from that sofubi line...

Quote from: Shonisaurus on July 10, 2017, 03:48:57 PM

This is my new favourite expression!

Flaffy

The skinniness and lipless-ness of the CollectA basilosaurus continues to bother me.

Jose S.M.

Great figures suspsy! That Deinocheirus is the standard sized one?

BlueKrono

[/quote]

Mine too! In Spanish it means "something that's really hard to do" but I think I like it used in this way better. It would be the Millenials' equivalent of "longer than a day without Instagram".
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

alexeratops

Quote from: suspsy on July 10, 2017, 12:47:23 PM
New toys! The four on the left are from MiniZoo; the four on the right come courtesy of the Indian River Reptile Zoo!

Untitled by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

I'll be honest, the Basilosaurus could use some work, but granted it is still better than the other interpretations (safari toob). And as always the Papo Ceratosaurus looks amazing! Great catch.
like a bantha!

suspsy

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on July 10, 2017, 05:31:52 PM
Great figures suspsy! That Deinocheirus is the standard sized one?

No, that's the 2017 Deluxe.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

alexeratops

Picture of my first prehistoric mammal figure, the Safari Doedicurus! 100% Photobucket free.  ;)

I really like this model, the post is dynamic, the sculpt is great, and I like the shiny metallic coloring. Well done, Safari!
like a bantha!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on July 10, 2017, 04:26:46 PM

Yeah, it's pretty much the best!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Daspletotyrannus

I finally got the Safari Ltd Smilodon cub.  It completes my Safari Ltd prehistoric mammals collection.  It also came with an adult when I got it on ebay.  And the adult had a lot of white on the face and the body had a white wash.  So I'm going pretend it is old and on the end of the lifespan.  As I already had one with a darker colors.  So I have the baby, the adult, the old adult.  I hope they make more prehistoric mammals. 

All my Safari Ltd Smilodons.

alexeratops

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on July 11, 2017, 09:33:52 PM
*baby smilodon ^-^*
I finally got the Safari Ltd Smilodon cub.  It completes my Safari Ltd prehistoric mammals collection.  It also came with an adult when I got it on ebay.  And the adult had a lot of white on the face and the body had a white wash.  So I'm going pretend it is old and on the end of the lifespan.  As I already had one with a darker colors.  So I have the baby, the adult, the old adult.  I hope they make more prehistoric mammals. 

*smilodon family  ^-^*

All my Safari Ltd Smilodons.

I agree with this greatly! I think that Safari could do an amazing Paraceratherium, wouldn't you say?
like a bantha!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: