You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Got a two books and two more or less relevant DVDs.
Saurier Geschichten is the German version of Dinosaur Tales, collecting the following Bradbury stories and poems:
Besides A Dinosaur, Whatta Ya Wanna Be When You Grow Up?
A Sound of Thunder
Lo, the Dear, Daft Dinosaurs!
The Fog Horn
What If I Said: The Dinosaur's Not Dead?
Tyranosaurus Rex
Also art by Gahan Wilson, William Stout, Steranko, Moebius, Overton Loyd, Kenneth Smith and David Wiesner.
The German cover is not only changed for no reason, but also has nothing to do with the book. No wizards and dragons drawn by some nobody here. Of course that is not the only case where Germans mix this up, given that I've seen several pieces of media where a dragon is called a Dinosaur. And the disturbing number of dragons ( and fairies ) showing up in the Dinosaurs & Prehsistoric Animals section on eBay. Sorry if this became a bit of a rant.

The book by Russell of course features the good old Dinosauroid near the end.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Roselaar

Ah, good to know Shin Gojira is available for the home video market. :)

Neat books!

Daspletotyrannus

I got my second Safari Ltd shipment in. First up is the Giganotosaurus. I just love how big it is. Here hoping for at least a 1:40 scale Argentinosaurus to go with it. I just really want one to go with both my Giganotosaurus.  I think I like the colors on the Carnegie one better. But I love the pose on this one. 

Next is the lovely Tylosaurus. I love the colors and details on this one.  I feel this a sub adult still hunting in a kelp forest.  I'm glad to have both this and the Carnegie one.  I like this one more then the Carnegie one.

Here the Liopleurodon.  I like this one.  I can't believe the details. I feel like I have to make a stand for my aquatic animals.  I am not a fan of beach animals. 

I also got the Inostrancevia.  I think I heard that it was being retired. So I figured I should get one. I love it, I don't know why I waited so long to get one.  I find it sad they retired good looking figure but that hideous green  Tyrannosaurus is still available. 

Last is the Psittacosaurus.  I love the blue eyes.  The quills look cool and realistic. Love the colors reminds me of the Authentic line Protoceratops that I have. And I just love that one. I hope the Schleich Psittacosaurus is the same size.  I can't wait to display them together. And I can't believe I just said that about Schleich.

Sim

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on August 28, 2017, 09:26:16 PM
I got my second Safari Ltd shipment in. First up is the Giganotosaurus. I just love how big it is. Here hoping for at least a 1:40 scale Argentinosaurus to go with it. I just really want one to go with both my Giganotosaurus.  I think I like the colors on the Carnegie one better. But I love the pose on this one. 

Do you know Argentinosaurus is not known to have coexisted with Giganotosaurus?

Out of the relatively famous dinosaurs, Argentinosaurus is the one known from the worst remains by far.  It's only known from some back vertebrae and ribs, an incomplete pelvis, and some hindlimb bones.  Its head, neck, forelimbs and tail are completely unknown.  Consequently, its posture, length and overall appearance are also unknown.  I personally think Argentinosaurus figures are quite pointless, no-one knows what it looked like so any reconstructions of it are always just made-up sauropods.

suspsy

Mapusaurus did coexist with Argentinosaurus---it was the real titan killer. Giganotosaurus seems to have preyed mainly on Limaysaurus and Andesaurus, which were sauropods of decent size, but not what you'd consider titans.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Daspletotyrannus

Quote from: Sim on August 29, 2017, 12:28:52 AM
Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on August 28, 2017, 09:26:16 PM

Do you know Argentinosaurus is not known to have coexisted with Giganotosaurus?

Out of the relatively famous dinosaurs, Argentinosaurus is the one known from the worst remains by far.  It's only known from some back vertebrae and ribs, an incomplete pelvis, and some hindlimb bones.  Its head, neck, forelimbs and tail are completely unknown.  Consequently, its posture, length and overall appearance are also unknown.  I personally think Argentinosaurus figures are quite pointless, no-one knows what it looked like so any reconstructions of it are always just made-up sauropods.

Yes I did. I'm more of a Giganotosaurus fan then Mapusaurus. Just wanted another giant from South America that wasn't a predator.

With that logic then why do we have figures of dinosaurs that in the same boat as Argentinosaurus?  All they do is look at the relatives to get an idea. But hey I do see what you mean.

Sim

With prehistoric animals that are known from such incomplete remains that almost all of their appearance has to be invented...  I think people who make them into figures don't mind or know or care/are paid to, despite there being a lot of interesting prehistoric animals for which the appearance is known that don't have any good figure representation.

Looking at relatives to fill in gaps can help, but I think this only works well for animals where the missing parts don't tend to be very variable.  Based on the image below, I don't think this is the case for Argentinosaurus.  For example, the neck of Dreadnoughtus looks quite different to that of Futalognkosaurus.  It's anyone's guess what the head, neck and tail of Argentinosaurus looked like.

(image source)

I do understand what you mean though, when you say you want a giant from South America that wasn't a predator.  I think Dreadnoughtus and Futalognkosaurus would be better choices than Argentinosaurus for that kind of animal, as although the skeleton of the first two isn't completely known, a good amount of it is known.  I haven't read much about Patagotitan, but it appears a lot of its skeleton is known too:

(image source)

JennX

Last August on the way home from a big road trip, we stopped at the Big Water Visitor Center of Grand Staircase Escalante Monument in S. Utah. A small but interesting well thought out display of the geology and paleontology of the area. I was reading about a discovery there and happened to notice the discoverer himself sitting there behind the register. Oh course I had to get my own Nothronychus graffami and an autograph of Mr. Graffam on the info sheet provided.

JennX

The first time seeing a Uintatheres in a cheap-o bag of dinosaur toys.

AcroSauroTaurus

Your Nothronychus is actually a Therizinosaurus made by Safari Ltd.  ;)
I am the Dinosaur King!

Daspletotyrannus

I got this today.  Bistahieversor vs Pentaceratops set. I just love the Pentaceratops. I'm sort of afraid that the Bistahieversor will fall over. It doesn't sit well on the one peg it has on the base. After I got his today I quickly ordered the Sinoceratops set. I believe I must have missed out on the Yutyrannus set. Oh well I have the Safari Ltd Yutyrannus.

PaleoMatt

I took a bit of a break for collecting so I needed to do a bit of a catch up for 2017! Loving the new figures that came out this year!

Roselaar

Wow, you went all out! Awesome batch of new goodies. :)

JohannesB

The lovely PNSO Chungkingosaurus has found its place in my collection.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on August 31, 2017, 12:16:51 AM

I got this today.  Bistahieversor vs Pentaceratops set. I just love the Pentaceratops. I'm sort of afraid that the Bistahieversor will fall over. It doesn't sit well on the one peg it has on the base. After I got his today I quickly ordered the Sinoceratops set. I believe I must have missed out on the Yutyrannus set. Oh well I have the Safari Ltd Yutyrannus.

I really like this set!

Quote from: PaleoMatt on August 31, 2017, 02:22:17 AM

I took a bit of a break for collecting so I needed to do a bit of a catch up for 2017! Loving the new figures that came out this year!

great haul! your photo convinced me to get the Papo Ceratosaurus, I wanted to see it with the Safari Tyrannosaurus before.

Quote from: Johannes on August 31, 2017, 06:07:03 PM
The lovely PNSO Chungkingosaurus has found its place in my collection.

Great shot of the collection, congrats on the Chungkingosaurus, it's a very impressive piece.

PaleoMatt

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on August 31, 2017, 06:42:57 PM

Quote from: PaleoMatt on August 31, 2017, 02:22:17 AM

great haul! your photo convinced me to get the Papo Ceratosaurus, I wanted to see it with the Safari Tyrannosaurus before.

Glad I could help!  :)

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

JennX

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on August 30, 2017, 06:25:45 AM

Nothronychus graffami is a Therizinosaurus--The Taxonomy of Therizinosauridae is confusing strange and interesting all at once! I understand Nothronychus graffami is the most complete Therizinosaurus discovered; it answered some questions but raised a bunch more.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: JennX on September 01, 2017, 06:24:45 AM

Nothronychus graffami is a Therizinosaurus--The Taxonomy of Therizinosauridae is confusing strange and interesting all at once! I understand Nothronychus graffami is the most complete Therizinosaurus discovered; it answered some questions but raised a bunch more.

AcroSauroTaurus only said that the figure in your picture is normally sold by Safari LTD in the "Great Dinos" line  and it's a Therizinosaurus.
I also have the model in my collection:

The only easy-to-find Nothronychus figure is the Collecta one:

A link:
https://www.safariltd.com/great-dinos-therizinosaurus-figurines-30010

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: JennX on September 01, 2017, 06:24:45 AM

You must be confusing "Therizinosaurus" with the group name, "therizinosaur". Nothronychus is a therizinosaur, not a Therizinosaurus.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: