You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

Lovely additions! Those Japanese figures are wonderful, though totally bizarre. Never saw those before, that's for sure.

PhilSauria

A few curiosities that came my way this week. Pays to keep an eye on the charity shops, which is where I found the Triceratops and Camarasaurus. My third triceratops this week!, after the arrival of the new models from Safari & Schleich a few days ago. Both needed some customising, with the removal and replacement of the big cartoon eyes they had on arrival, and the Triceratops originally had pink lips and nostrils! No maker's mark on any of these, though I did some research and it seems that the Camarasaurus (which at least has that info on the underside) is a smaller copy by Waiphoon of a larger Kaiyodo original. The colourful pair in the foreground were picked up in a bargain tray at one of the local toy stores. Interesting colour choice on the Baryonyx?, I guess it is meant to be. The whole lot for about four dollars. Always pleased to add another Sauropod to the herd, bringing thier tally to 52.

Lanthanotus

Great acquisition, Phil, I am looking out for that Camarasaurus for a while now but whenever it appears it comes within an otherwise overpriced and worthless lot.

Jose S.M.

That Camarasaurus is something I would get of I see it, nice Camarasaurus figures are lacking these days, it gets overshadowed by Brachiosaurus, Diplodocus and Apatosaurus.
I used to have a Brontosaurus that was almost the same as the lava one from Bluekrono, but  mine was green with yellowish underside and had it's mouth shut.

Joey

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on January 27, 2018, 11:06:09 PM
That Camarasaurus is something I would get of I see it, nice Camarasaurus figures are lacking these days, it gets overshadowed by Brachiosaurus, Diplodocus and Apatosaurus.
I used to have a Brontosaurus that was almost the same as the lava one from Bluekrono, but  mine was green with yellowish underside and had it's mouth shut.
So, the Imperial one?

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Joey on January 28, 2018, 12:36:47 AM
So, the Imperial one?

That's the one! I also had a green Brachiosaurus and a purple Stegosaurus, I got the three together as a present. Mom gave them away like 6 years ago to a second cousin. Maybe those were Imperials too but since I didn't knew anything about brands never really checked them.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: PhilSauria on January 27, 2018, 10:48:33 PM
No maker's mark on any of these, though I did some research and it seems that the Camarasaurus (which at least has that info on the underside) is a smaller copy by Waiphoon of a larger Kaiyodo original.

..yes, Kaiyodo Dinoland 1:35 Camarasaurus by Shinobu Matsumura:

(picture credit @ postsaurischian)

sauroid

Quote from: PhilSauria on January 27, 2018, 10:48:33 PM
A few curiosities that came my way this week. Pays to keep an eye on the charity shops, which is where I found the Triceratops and Camarasaurus. My third triceratops this week!, after the arrival of the new models from Safari & Schleich a few days ago. Both needed some customising, with the removal and replacement of the big cartoon eyes they had on arrival, and the Triceratops originally had pink lips and nostrils! No maker's mark on any of these, though I did some research and it seems that the Camarasaurus (which at least has that info on the underside) is a smaller copy by Waiphoon of a larger Kaiyodo original. The colourful pair in the foreground were picked up in a bargain tray at one of the local toy stores. Interesting colour choice on the Baryonyx?, I guess it is meant to be. The whole lot for about four dollars. Always pleased to add another Sauropod to the herd, bringing thier tally to 52.

the two smaller ones on the foreground are Lontic (i have that stego)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

PhilSauria

Thanks for the follow ups, the small figures are only marked with "made in China" and the animal's name, which in the case of the Baryonyx is so feint that I missed it first time I turned it over. (Eyesight 'aint what it used to be!) That Kaiyodo original looks great, I'm guessing that it is hard to find and / or expensive these days?

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: PhilSauria on January 28, 2018, 11:47:01 AM
That Kaiyodo original looks great, I'm guessing that it is hard to find and / or expensive these days?

I'm not a Kaiyodo expert but, if I remember correctly, the Dinoland figures were available as "pre-made" models and also as vinyl kits.
The vinyl kits usually go on Ebay for around 100USD.
There is a thread about Dinoland on the old v1 DTF (pictures are missing because of the Photobucket pestilence):
http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3249

The bootleg:
https://zero-cannard.deviantart.com/art/Camarasaurus-Bootleg-Kaiyodo-602188190

tyrantqueen

The Waiphoon Camara is not a straight KO, it has been downsized. It's not bad for what it is, though.

Methinks that the Dinoland thread needs to be resurrected, with new photos. I have a few photos myself.

Shonisaurus

The truth is that these Chinese figures are fine, especially the camarasaurus. Except for some company like Tiptoy or Geoworld if I'm not mistaken, there are few toy companies at least in the West that make this figure and it is one of the most outstanding and best preserved sauropods of prehistory next to the brachisosaurus, giraffatitan, brontosaurus, apatosaurus and diplodocus.

PhilSauria

Just the one package today, the Schleich Psittacosaurus; completing the trio of models that I wanted from the Schleich new releases.
The colour is more on the green side of aqua, still an odd choice given that the colour of the animal has been known for about a year or more (if memory serves...).

John

Quote from: PhilSauria on January 29, 2018, 09:50:43 AM
Just the one package today, the Schleich Psittacosaurus; completing the trio of models that I wanted from the Schleich new releases.
The colour is more on the green side of aqua, still an odd choice given that the colour of the animal has been known for about a year or more (if memory serves...).

Close,it's the same genus but not this particular species.The one with the known color was the one with the bristled tail from China (it's exact species is still not known) while this model is of the one from Siberia,Psittacosaurus sibiricus.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

PhilSauria

Thanks. I appreciate that, despite my interest in all things prehistoric, there are many on this Forum far more knowledgable than I in these matters. A fact check or two in future I think before I make such pronouncements. Still, not sure why, given what is known about a similar species that Schleich went for such a 'loud' colour. I guess they're a toy company first and other considerations come later.

Reptilia

Schleich is known for loud colour schemes, especially in the latest years. In this particular case I like their choice, I think it's a clever move to differentiate from the known colour being that the representation of a different species, as pointed out above.

Shonisaurus

Independently even in spite of the colors that I recognize that they are very bright the psittacosaurus Schleich is one of the best figures of the toy market this year 2018.  :))

BlueKrono

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on January 28, 2018, 01:58:50 AM
Quote from: Joey on January 28, 2018, 12:36:47 AM
So, the Imperial one?

That's the one! I also had a green Brachiosaurus and a purple Stegosaurus, I got the three together as a present. Mom gave them away like 6 years ago to a second cousin. Maybe those were Imperials too but since I didn't knew anything about brands never really checked them.

I got the blue open-mouthed one as a child, so it has nostalgia for me. I only recently found it in another color variant - this neon, translucent orange. I picked up the other blue and green ones because they also reminded me strongly of it. They are quite alike, aren't they?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

CityRaptor

Needed a book to qualify for free shipping and this one got me curious. Obviously not scientifically accurate.
Also ordered a set of those Walmart JW figures. Got rid of the packaging, which is like 50% air.
Found Attack on Titan Master Clobber today for 2,99 Euros. He's a cute tiny Grimlock!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Bokisaurus

Great new additions. That Kaiyodo Camara knock off is truly a great figure, I own one as well as the styracosaurs, both excellent figures.

:)) LOL! Those Group of Chinasaurus sauropods are funny. I actually own a few of those, but they were donated when I started to downsize my collection :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: