You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITdactyl

Is that a Rarebreed Dicraeosaurus?

*edit* missed your last post.

tanystropheus

I would also like to know if it is a Rarebreed Dicraeosaurus?

IrritatorRaji

Bought more repaints from Etsy. This time a B&B Spinosaurus, Mini Spinosaurus and Rebor Ceratosaurus knockoff :)
I personally don't think they're as great as those Allosaurs I bought from him a little while ago, but I still like them :D

(Excuse my hand being in some of the photos, had to stabilise the B&B Spino because it didn't stand. Lucky for me though, the seller included a custom made base for it!)

>>Link to seller<<
They've got a lot of nice repaints selling for really cheap

Shonisaurus

The Ceratosaurus Rebor, although it is an imitation company, is unrecognizable with this painting scheme.

With these schemes of painting they seem as if they were phantasmagorical beings.  >:D

Jose S.M.

I like the look of the Ceratosaurus.

Reptilia

Ditto. Good idea, at least.

IrritatorRaji

Got this guy in the mail this morning. Might try and fix his pose ever so slightly later on.

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you Irritator Raji for this new acquisition for me after Battat's cryolophosaurus and Carnegie's is perhaps the third favorite figure of this species and certainly as almost all safari toy figures the most detailed on the market.  :)

Libraraptor

Got this marbled Marx Parasaurolophus from PlesiosaurusNessy today! Thank you!  It is said to be from the rare "Superior Rulers of the Earth" playset.  I am so lucky !

Shonisaurus

I remind myself of the figures of Marx to my dinosaur figures I had when I was little. Although we must recognize that the quality of Marx's figures is absolutely superior.

Congratulations Libraraptor.  ^-^

Fembrogon

These arrived from Dejankins yesterday:

I notice the Allosaurus and Pachycephalosaurus still lack proper reviews on the main site. If no one else is working on them, I'd happily contribute sometime.

BTW, does the CollectA Plateosaurus have a history of balancing issues? Mine is so front-heavy it is incapable of standing without the plastic base.

PhilSauria

Nice selection there. I was lucky enough to pick up the entire Kinto Favorite range (14 figures) at a local fossil and gemstone store. Did a double take when I saw them on the racks and was soon reaching for my credit card. That Plateo stands okay in my case, its tail comes close to touching the ground but doesn't, you can still see daylight between. I have not read about any standing issue with this one. Maybe the old hot water / bend / fridge / back on the shelf is worth a try. Doesn't work with all plastics (some eventually bend back) but I have had success with a couple of trouble makers over the years. Always like seeing what other people have added to their collections, thanks for the pic.

PhilSauria

This curiosity arrived today. Seems to be based on the Indominus but I don't know much else about it other than it is very detailed, reasonably large and reasonably heavy. No hollow knockoff with a seam around the middle here. In any case it appealed to me and it did not cost much, even though it's not based on an actual Dinosaur I still found space for it.

Shonisaurus

Rebor could take an Indomimus in his collection of prehistoric animals (although we know that this species has never existed). It would be great if he made one.

On the other hand, that indomimus is the best I've seen in the toy market.  :)

SBell

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 09, 2018, 06:33:02 PM
Rebor could take an Indomimus in his collection of prehistoric animals (although we know that this species has never existed). It would be great if he made one.

On the other hand, that indomimus is the best I've seen in the toy market.  :)

A 'real' Indominus would be a pretty big copyright infringement on Universal Studios. This is one of the reasons they added 'invented' dinosaurs--you can claim that T.rex is public property, even if it is similar (Papo...). But make an Indominus? That's intellectual property.

MLMjp

I think that Indominus is a knock-off of the figure that came with the Jurassic-World limited edition blue-ray set that came with both the Indominus and Rexy.
Whoever made this modified a little bit of the sculpt though, in the original the right arm is not extended, the position of the head and tail also seem to have been modified

Reptilia

Quote from: SBell on March 09, 2018, 06:53:08 PM
A 'real' Indominus would be a pretty big copyright infringement on Universal Studios. This is one of the reasons they added 'invented' dinosaurs--you can claim that T.rex is public property, even if it is similar (Papo...). But make an Indominus? That's intellectual property.

As we already said in other occasions they could easily avoid any kind of legal trouble by calling it Giganotosaurus (perhaps giving it shorter front limbs?), exactly like they'll do with their KK's Vastatosaurus / Tyrannosaurus.

PhilSauria

Ah yes there is a definite resemblance (cough). Not sure how big the figure in your image is but I have noticed that in many of these cases the figure 'inspired' by another is often larger; this one measures 13 in / 32 cm. There are a couple of marine reptiles and a Stegosaurus, to my knowledge' that are larger than 'similar' releases by other brands. Thanks for the ID.

Roselaar

Another 2018 haul arrived yesterday:

I don't get the hate for the Papo Amargasaurus. Sure, it's not perfect, but neither is its new big brother, Safari's Amarga. Both are nice but flawed models of this wonderful little Sauropod.

mgaguilar

@Roselaar Great haul! Looking at that Mapusaurus myself.

I think the hate stems from the fact that Papo rarely (if at all) releases a model that doesn't have the same detail standards of others produced. The Amargasaurus, for example, could be expected out of Schleich, or even the Collecta Deluxe line because of its visual scheme, but not from the normal insane levels of realistic detail/aesthetic paint jobs that Papo normally produces. Papo also never claims scientific accuracy, and tends to just have amazing (albeit inaccurate) portrayals of prehistoric beasts.

Overall, it just doesn't seem like a Papo model.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: