You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Quote from: Roselaar on March 09, 2018, 11:38:46 PM
I don't get the hate for the Papo Amargasaurus. Sure, it's not perfect, but neither is its new big brother, Safari's Amarga. Both are nice but flawed models of this wonderful little Sauropod.

I don't like any of the two, but for how bad that is the Papo's gets really too much hate. The Safari one is equally goofy and cartoonish, but gets praise instead just because is a Safari product. Everyone's favourite company, you know.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on March 10, 2018, 12:20:25 AM
I don't get the hate for the Papo Amargasaurus. Sure, it's not perfect, but neither is its new big brother, Safari's Amarga. Both are nice but flawed models of this wonderful little Sauropod.

I don't like any of the two, but for how bad that is the Papo's gets really too much hate. The Safari one is equally goofy and cartoonish, but gets praise instead just because is a Safari product. Everyone's favourite company, you know.

Papo is my favorite company. Having said this, I would say that the Safari version has a more characteristically diplodocid skull than that of Papo. The lone neural spike on top of the head of the Papo version is rather puzzling. We can attribute it to creative license, if we are lenient about it. Also as far as texture work is concerned, the Papo Amarga's scutes and scales are not that intricate, some stitch work patterning here and there, not too different from Schleich models (compare the skin texture of Papo Apato with the Papo Amarga).

sauroid

Roselaar's pic made that Papo Amarga look a bit likable.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

MLMjp

Both Amargas have problems due to their head sculpt. The Safari Amarga´s Face looks goofy, while the Papo´s looks rather creepy. But in general terms I find the Safari Amarga more eye-pleasing due to its color palette and nice texturing. Papo´s Amarga on the other hand has a very crude and "ugly" texture which is accentuated by the rather plain color palette.

But that it just my opinion.

Reptilia

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 10, 2018, 02:48:00 AM
(compare the skin texture of Papo Apato with the Papo Amarga)

Two substantially different craftsmanships, unfortunately.

Shonisaurus

Sincerely, Safari's amargasaurus from the aesthetic and paleoartistic point of view is the best thing that a toy company has done without claiming that there are other companies that have done the job better (Carnegie) even though they do not understand paleontology and science (I am collector) I understand that Amargasaurus Safari is a very remarkable figure and respect but I do not share the animosity that some members of the forum have with that figure.

For me Safari is one of my favorite companies and to say that the amargasaurus Safari is caricatured for the sculptor should be in a certain way and I say it with all due respect to you and to other participants insulting in relation to his paleoartistic work. Life has been sincerely made to make that beautiful figure and in my case with the amargasaurus of other companies is the best thing that has been done in relation to that species.

As far as the Pagas amargasaurus is concerned, it is necessary to conclude that regardless of the fact that it has been very favored in photography, it is one of the loosest figures made in the history of Papo and that I am a fan of Papo since the immense majority at least 98 percent of their figures are great with their own artistic aesthetics, but that does not mean that I disrespect the work of the sculptor of amargasaurus Papo whose work is as worthy as that of Safari or another company. I think you can say things but without disrespecting any company and sculptor because as I said "we all have our little heart".

That does not mean that if tomorrow the PNSO company makes a better figure of amargasaurus if the rumors that they are going to re-create dinosaur figures are verified. Maybe then I would say that the PNSO company has made the best amargasaurus judging the paleoartistic work that was released last year on that scoop.

All companies can make dinosaurs better or worse but say that the work of a paleoescutor of dinosaurs and in this case of toy dinosaurs is cartoonish should not be mentioned since his work is being insulted.

I understand that you can criticize any work of dinosaurs of any dinosaur toy company but without coming to disqualifications. We all deserve respect sincerely.

Bokisaurus

Another 2018 haul arrived yesterday:

Hmmm, still not fully sold on this, but I will eventually get it since Amarga is my favorite sauropod ;) I just noticed it on this photo, but that Papo version has the same nostrils as the COllectA deluxe version. I wonder which interpretation is closer to reality, the one we see on this and CollectA or the Safari one?

John

As someone who has a quite a bit of knowledge on the subject of dinosaurs,I can tell you that praise of the Safari Amargasaurus is not just out of blind brand loyalty.The only thing I would have done differently than Safari's sculptor did was to maybe have the teeth showing less than what is on the model currently.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Patrx

Yeah, I didn't buy either of the new Amargasaurus for various reasons, but the Safari version is substantially more accurate, based on photographs. I don't care much for the exposed teeth, either, though.

Shonisaurus

Hopefully PNSO will recover some day as discussed and perform the amargasaurus he had planned. From my point of view it is the most accurate of the market judging by the promotional photographs.  :)

suspsy

I probably would have bought the Safari Amargasaurus if it had been the same size as the 2016 Shunosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

John

Models never had to be in a certain scale for me to get them or else it would be extremely limiting and I see no reason to pass up something I really liked,so I got that Safari Amargasaurus months ago. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Reptilia

Just for the record, I wasn't debating on the accuracy. I didn't bother to check if the Safari Amargasaurus is 100% accurate or not, doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned, because it looks like a cartoon regardless.

Libraraptor

Bought myself two playsets at a museumshop today.  I like the Postosuchus and its " baby"  and the Hypsilophodon. Does anyone know more about them?

SBell

Quote from: Libraraptor on March 11, 2018, 01:58:29 PM
Bought myself two playsets at a museumshop today.  I like the Postosuchus and its " baby"  and the Hypsilophodon. Does anyone know more about them?

I had the larger ones (I still have the Postosuchus--never found the little one). I think they are Lontic/Nayab figures in various box sets.

Libraraptor

Lontic,  aha! I looked at dinosaurcollectorsitea.com and found out more. Thank you, SBell!

CityRaptor

Got a poster. Not an actual picture of mine, but it looks like that:
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Fembrogon

This fella showed up in the mail today:

;D ;D

Roselaar

Quote from: Fembrogon on March 13, 2018, 02:47:56 AM
This fella showed up in the mail today:

;D ;D

Aaaww, that's cute! Too bad I dont collect plushies (you have the draw the line somewhere), this is definitely one of the nicest I've ever seen.

Libraraptor

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: