News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo Tyrannosaurus - The stock dinosaur

Started by Hermes888, August 19, 2013, 06:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

I haven't seen anything newer than the 2008 Allosaurus in anything really.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tyrantqueen

Just saw this on Amazon

I also got a laugh out of this

Not only are they using that hideous CollectA Tyrannosaurus, but "Dunosaurs" made me laugh.

Gwangi

I saw a five dollar DVD at Walmart today with the Papo Allosaurus and running Tyrannosaurus on it. It was a collection of documentaries from Discovery.

Roselaar

Then of course there's this excessively large Papo Rex picture I found in a review of JP 3D:

Dinoguy2

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 26, 2013, 02:31:40 AM
Just saw this on Amazon

I also got a laugh out of this

Not only are they using that hideous CollectA Tyrannosaurus, but "Dunosaurs" made me laugh.

A lot of these books are self-published via sites like Lulu Press and sold via Amazon by people with no concept of copyright laws, or who are just lazy and grab images off of Google Images for their covers. There are entire series books for sale on Amazon that do nothing but re-print pictures and text from Wikipedia articles.

Notice that both of those say Kindle edition--I'd be surprised if there was a physical edition even available. It's ridiculously easy to slap together an e-book and sell it via Amazon.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Balaur

Dunosaurs! REALLY?!

Anyways, I did notice that the Papo rex was used a lot, but I didn't know it was that common! Wow! Thats just incredible.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I saw the running Rex on a Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies advertisement this past weekend.  I believe that that terrible traveling dinosaur show , Discover the Dinosaurs, also uses the papo figures.

fleshanthos

You're right there, John, about the standing TRex being a copy from the JP scene! It might not be an exact copy, but it's sure as hell 95% identical to anyone who isn't making excuses for Papo!
They took an absolutely iconic image from JP and copied it; it's not "inspiration"!
There are probably legal precedents on this, although as Crichton said "an extinct creature has no rights." (paraphrased) So both parties would play around that idea.
I wouldn't be surprised if Universal could have a legal case against Papo. It depends on the studio I suppose. CBS is being utter schlongs about "Star Trek" original cast movies in regards to fansites that make up fantasy starships from that time using material from licenses that expired on season TWO of TNG, for example. Lots of "Cease and Desist" whining from them.
The way I see it, Universal would want more Dino toys out there, particularly ones that are copies not only of the images, but even of the styles they use from Winston studios. What with another movie on the way...

And let's hope to hell it isn't the insane idea of Raptors with firearms as shock troops. That's a movie maker trying to capture his childhood JP-toys fantasy scenario.
People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Laughable Beliefs

tyrantqueen

QuoteYou're right there, John, about the standing TRex being a copy from the JP scene! It might not be an exact copy, but it's sure as hell 95% identical to anyone who isn't making excuses for Papo!
They took an absolutely iconic image from JP and copied it; it's not "inspiration"!

There are probably legal precedents on this, although as Crichton said "an extinct creature has no rights." (paraphrased) So both parties would play around that idea.
I wouldn't be surprised if Universal could have a legal case against Papo. It depends on the studio I suppose. CBS is being utter schlongs about "Star Trek" original cast movies in regards to fansites that make up fantasy starships from that time using material from licenses that expired on season TWO of TNG, for example. Lots of "Cease and Desist" whining from them.
The way I see it, Universal would want more Dino toys out there, particularly ones that are copies not only of the images, but even of the styles they use from Winston studios. What with another movie on the way...
They (Papo) are not claiming that their Tyrannosaurus toy is an official JP toy. Therefore they are not using the JP designs without a copyright. As long as their dinosaur toy is not illegally cast/bootlegged, they can use this legal loophole and not get sued.

If, on the other hand, Sideshow tried to sell this statue without a license...

they would get sued because would be using the official JP trademark without permission.

By the way, I am not "making excuses" for Papo. I despise their JP copying as much as anyone else.

QuoteThey took an absolutely iconic image from JP and copied it; it's not "inspiration"!
You can't copyright a pose. Also, they didn't copy the image- I don't see the "When dinosaurs ruled the Earth" banner, or the rubble or the Crash McCreery paintings in the background.

tyrantqueen

Found this on Shapeways.

It's not for sale. Good thing too, since you get the original there's no point to buying this.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 27, 2013, 03:12:16 PM
QuoteYou're right there, John, about the standing TRex being a copy from the JP scene! It might not be an exact copy, but it's sure as hell 95% identical to anyone who isn't making excuses for Papo!

They (Papo) are not claiming that their Tyrannosaurus toy is an official JP toy. Therefore they are not using the JP designs without a copyright. As long as their dinosaur toy is not illegally cast/bootlegged, they can use this legal loophole and not get sued.

If, on the other hand, Sideshow tried to sell this statue without a license...

they would get sued because would be using the official JP trademark without permission.

By the way, I am not "making excuses" for Papo. I despise their JP copying as much as anyone else.

QuoteThey took an absolutely iconic image from JP and copied it; it's not "inspiration"!
You can't copyright a pose. Also, they didn't copy the image- I don't see the "When dinosaurs ruled the Earth" banner, or the rubble or the Crash McCreery paintings in the background.
I'm surprised they haven't been sued. If they copied one of my dino designs that closely without paying me I'd go off the rails. I guess the copyright holders of JP are so used to hack commercial artists copying their designs they just ignore it at this point, but the fact that it's even in the exact same pose would be more than enough to prove copying from a specific image. Same thing as that company that copied Luis Rey's nesting Citipati--it would be one thing if it was just a similar style, like Papo's allosaurus being suspiciously similar to Brett Booth's image (http://www.wikidino.com/wp-content/uploads/Allosaurus-Brett-Booth.jpg), but the pose was identical, leaving no question which picture they copied.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

fleshanthos

Totally agree, Dinoguy2, and let's face it; in USA, this case would SURE as hell get loads of media attention and would likely find for the studio.  I sure would find for the studio.

But before that happens, the lawyer's letter arrives and I'm sure Papo would try to work out a licensing deal.

In any event, I think I might snap up that Papo JP pose Rex, too...it's an iconic image.
I like my running Rex I got a few weeks ago, despite the glaring inaccuracies.   
People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Laughable Beliefs

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

CityRaptor

Oh no

Megalosaurus

Just looking for Dinosaur in Google News i get :o then  *yuck*
This world is sick & disturbed:

From the cover of "Taken By The T-Rex," by Christie Sims.
Papo Rex has involved in erotic readings.

http://www.ibtimes.com/dinosaur-erotica-fact-check-how-exactly-did-t-rex-do-nasty-1423046

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

CityRaptor

Yep, we already got that covered here:
http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,1757.0.html

Also saw these:

Megasaurs? More like Overpriced Chinasaurs!

Even better: They have a Website!
http://megasaurs.com/
And sell their own bootlegs of the Papo Rex.
Oh no

tyrantqueen

I stumbled across this during a google image search:

All those books, and only one dinosaur toy? >:D

Hermes888

Well found CityRaptor. Gotta love those wonderfully inaccurate "Dino-Facts" on their website.
http://megasaurs.com/dino-facts.html

Some of their figures seem like valuable assets to have in a collection. What a fresh take on such a well-known species.

Those certainly are some very alternative... colors.

DinoLord

This usage of images of Papo figures has been going on for at least several years now. I recall seeing some children's books at a friend's house several years back that had the whole line pictured in them.

Ikessauro

I too have seen many products using Papo's dinosaurs in their packages. Here's one example: it's a child shoe box, made by a Brazilian company. They make dinosaur themed shoes for kids and use any cool popular dinosaur images in their packages. You can see JP's T.rex and Papo Triceratops in this box, but other versions do have the T.rex...  :P

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.