News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

brandem's sculpture {recent art 2019}

Started by brandem, September 08, 2013, 09:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Do you have a price listing somewhere? I can't remember, and it's not easy to find throughout the page (unless they are all listed together in the first post, in which case it would be easier and I could have checked that first).

brandem

Quote from: SBell on August 17, 2014, 06:35:48 PM
Do you have a price listing somewhere? I can't remember, and it's not easy to find throughout the page (unless they are all listed together in the first post, in which case it would be easier and I could have checked that first).
That's a great idea, I'm going to put one together for the first post.

brandem

hey all I've been working on a new set of 1:100s, all animals from the Niobrara formation, its been going alright;
Polycotylus

Ptychodus

Clidastes(actual figure will not be so fuzzy)

And styxosaurus which I'm having trouble with, I like to base my figure off of skeletal outlines but I cannot seem to find an overhead one for this guy, so what do you all think? is the body too big? wrong shape? neck too thin? tail too fat? if anyone has a good handle on Elasmosauridae please feel free to speak up

DinoLord

I don't know too much about plesiosaurs but the neck looks way too thin. I'm sure Dr. Admin will chime in with some expert advice.

SBell

Quote from: DinoLord on September 05, 2014, 01:22:22 AM
I don't know too much about plesiosaurs but the neck looks way too thin. I'm sure Dr. Admin will chime in with some expert advice.

I was going to say the same basic thing--Adam would be a great resource for this one.

And I like the figures that are clear--especially the Ptychodus!

brandem

thank you! yes I'm prone to agree I may think the body is too big because I made the neck too thin,

and yes when the sun is out again I should get a better photo of clidastes, he is so svelte he's hard to focus on

Chad

This is a great idea for a set of figures! I'd agree the styxosaurus neck is a bit too thin, particularly at the base of the neck. Are the fins right on the clidastes? They seem a little too, I don't know, round? It might just be the fuzziness of the picture.  The ptychodus looks great and the sea grass base is a nice touch.

mb-cg

The figures are great, I like them a lot. I'm agree about the neck. It looks too thin, but maybe it is because the body is a bit fat. I'm sure you will find a balance between the neck and the body. Keep the good work!!

brandem

hey all thanks for the input so far think I will see about reworking styxosaurus, hopefully dtf/dr.admin will be able to drop some knowledge not sure if it is ok to message him directly on something like this when it does (in a small way)provide me with monetary benefit, feels like asking for free legal advise from a lawyer,

anyway in it's current form(the model not the actual animal) I've worked out the relevant dimensions to be 11 inches thick for the end of the neck closest to the head, 20 inches for the neck closest to the body and 6.5 feet thick for the body at it's thickest point, maybe that will help figure out exactly what it too thick/thin

and a better picture of clidastes which I should say is being based on Clidastes liodontus

and yes the flippers are a bit round but I was basing it on:

so if that reconstruction is out of date I would really like to know it thanks!

Takama

The marine life looks good

I have a Question regarding the Poposaurus and Ornithomime.   In this thread you listed them as 1:30, while in another Thread, You list them as 1:20.   So which one is it?  Im thinking of starting a 1:30 collection sculpted by you, and I wanted to know if these would be good starters

brandem

hey great question! in the original port I did say 1/30 because that had been my original idea but the sculpts ended up in 1/20, sorry about the confusion on that,

Takama

Quote from: brandem on September 05, 2014, 01:20:48 AM
hey all I've been working on a new set of 1:100s, all animals from the Niobrara formation, its been going alright;
Polycotylus

Ptychodus

Clidastes(actual figure will not be so fuzzy)

And styxosaurus which I'm having trouble with, I like to base my figure off of skeletal outlines but I cannot seem to find an overhead one for this guy, so what do you all think? is the body too big? wrong shape? neck too thin? tail too fat? if anyone has a good handle on Elasmosauridae please feel free to speak up

Alright if I ask what are the things that these models are attached to? The shark looks like its on Seaweed on the ocean Floor
and the Polycotylus Looks like its on Flattend Rocks, but what is the Stuff that the Styxosaurus is on? and what are the little Balls With the Clidastus?

brandem

fine question, sorry I missed it for so long, styxosaurus is mounted on a kelp bed, and clidastes is sort of hovering above an outcropping of rock,

brandem

hey all a happy Halloween to all my friends and supporters!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Paleogene Pals

brandem

hey all it feels like forever since I've been able to add new sculpts here but here goes;
first in conjunction with member takama we are adding the sereno spinosaurus to the tiny titan line of dinosaurs! in time he'll be joined by Onchopristis numidus to make the Kem Kem Combatants set.

And for the 1:20 obscurus line I have finally gotten the balaur bondoc in a shape I like a size that's affordable, plus there are a lot of fun things we can do with the paint schemes so if you want one think about what colors you would want her in!

Yutyrannus

Very cool! However, one thing about the Balaur: Balaur isn't considered a dromaeosaur anymore, rather it was a primitive avialan.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

brandem

that is believed by quite a few thanks to the hip but what bearing does that have on the reconstruction? those who assigned balaur to aves are the same who assigned Anchiornis huxleyi to aves, and anchiornis had a very dromaeosaurian skull so I don't think i'm off basing the skull on dromaeosaurs,

as far as the body and limbs we can look at what bones we do have, and I don't think those are too far off;
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/2010/08/25067-660x508.jpg

only remaining aspect I question might be the tail, which if Balaur is a proper prebird and the birdlike elements cannot be considered convergent evolution, could go either way depending on how close she falls to Pygostylia,

but I guess the question is since I didn't call her a dromaeosaur why do you bring it up?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: