You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinotasia aka Dinosaur Revolution ?

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 25, 2012, 06:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

This is a terrible shame. Such a great series beaten down time and again til we get nothing. :/

scallenger

Okay, I've done some more digging. And one of these things could end up being awesome.

First off, I have seen what looks like the first pre-order available for a German BluRay edition of Dinotasia, due in what looks like December. Of course, sadly for US people like myself, it is not in a Region coding that will work for us (A). But anyway, this will hopefully perhaps mean that it may come out in other countries around this time. However, I am not holding my breath just yet.

http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/dinotasia-blu-ray-disc

Now, switching gears over to Dinosaur Revolution, you may remember many months ago the Australian BluRay of Dino Rev, which was Region B.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dinosaur-Revolution-Blu-ray/36347/

Now, it looks like the UK is getting it's own BluRay release later this month! However, it is unclear which region this one... but I HOPE that it ends up being Region Free so us on the Stateside can finally enjoy it without resorting to YouTube or other means...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dinosaur-Revolution-Blu-ray/dp/B00843KLCC

We'll just have to wait and see... It wouldn't be unheard of. They did it for "March of the Dinosaurs" (although the bonus features wouldn't play on certain players, including mine, although they worked on my laptop BluRay player).

On an unrelated note, on the same date in the UK, they are releasing a BluRay of "Last Day of the Dinosaurs", which I happen to really like. I hope this one ends up being Region Free as well!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Days-The-Dinosaurs-Blu-ray/dp/B00843KLJU
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

scallenger

Sorry to double post, but...

YES!!! FINALLY!!!

After no word for months, I randomly checked BluRay.com and saw a listing for Dinotasia coming to BluRay and DVD in the U.S. on November 6th, with Amazon.com preorders already underway! Check out the links!

DINOTASIA U.S. BLURAY
http://www.amazon.com/Dinotasia-Blu-Ray-Werner-Herzog/dp/B008LW254S/

DINOTASIA U.S. DVD
http://www.amazon.com/Dinotasia-Werner-Herzog/dp/B008LW25GQ/

No word yet on any bonus features yet (or if there will even be any), but at this point it's the least of my concerns. I just can't wait to finally get to see this thing! :) Can you believe by the time this comes out in November it will be two months over a year since the Discovery Channel version came out. Wow. Well, sometimes it does take time for these things. In my opinion, if they had just foregone the limited theatrical run, it would have been out on home video sooner, but maybe that was part of the deal. By the way, although I'm glad they are sticking with the cool logo on the cover, I honestly HATE the quote that they use on it from the Sunday London Times, "The Sopranos Let Loose In The Mesozoic Era." Really now? That's the big quote being used to push this movie on the cover? REALLY? lol. The marketing for this has truly been unreal, and I'm so glad it's almost over. I feel sorry for the creators of this program having to have dealt with it all for so long. Hopefully this is just a temp. cover, but I somehow doubt it.

Speaking of the Discovery Channel version, since we all know this Dinotasia version, while truer to the original intent of the show, does cut out sequences (and perhaps even parts of sequences, that I still don't know) from the broadcast, I still hope Discovery Channel does indeed release their version stateside. There is still no notion of that happening yet, but maybe it will sooner to the release of this in November. Otherwise I hope that UK BluRay mentioned in the above post ends up being Region Free. It comes out in just one more day, so I'm hoping to hear more about it soon. Maybe some UK fans here can snag it?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Cool !

I do hope we get all the footage we can.. ;D

scallenger

Same here. I hope that if they do have the special features that they includes the extra segments that weren't in Dinotasia as bonus material without the narration. That's the biggest thing I want the most. But we'll see if we get anything at all like that

Jeremy K9

I'm glad to see that there is a U.K. release of the original show. I'll have to order that this friday. I have no desire to see a shortened version, as I enjoyed every bit of the original presentation. :)

Thanks for the information scallenger.  :D

scallenger

You're welcome! If you order it, tell us how it is, give us a review on the quality of it, and if there are any bonus features at all. Most likely not, just curious. I really do hope we get the original show released stateside as well pretty soon. I want to have both! :) In way the original show almost is like the show but with the behind the scenes and science of the program mixed within the storyline. So in case there aren't any bonus features at all on the Dinotasia release, it will be cool to have that presentation as well. :)

EDIT:

WOW! Apparently the Dinosaur Revolution BluRay available in the UK, according to Amazon UK, has been updated to include that it is REGION FREE! That means, again, that anyone with a BluRay player can watch it! So it looks like I'll be ordering this! Awesome news!!! Here is the link again.

DINOSAUR REVOLUTION UK BLURAY (REGION FREE)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dinosaur-Revolution-Blu-ray-Region-Free/dp/B00843KLCC/

You can also buy it right now on HMV for cheaper, perhaps depending where you live. They do international orders, too. I ordered from them because it ended up costing me about 4 dollars cheaper total than from Amazon UK! It seems as if stock at both locations isn't in yet or something, but the wait on HMV also appears to be shorter.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=833642

Jeremy K9

Yeah, I was about to mention it said it was region free on the Amazon U.K. site, but it seems you already found that out. :)

I can't wait to order this and watch all the episodes on the big screen. :D

dinohunter000

Let us know ASAP if it actually is Region Free, please,  because I mistakenly bought Planet Dinosaur off of the UK Amazon site that was supposedly region free and it doesn't work at all on my blu-ray player.
"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

scallenger

Well, I actually went to Amazon UK directly and asked them, and here is their response. Take from it what you will, but it seems to be pretty much a guarantee:

I understand that you want to verify the Region Code of the item "Dinosaur Revolution [Blu-ray]".

After thorough investigation and as confirmed by our supplier, please be informed that the item "Dinosaur Revolution [Blu-ray]" is Region Free (which means it can be played in any blu-ray players in all regions).

Balaur

Quote from: scallenger on July 25, 2012, 06:02:47 PM
Well, I actually went to Amazon UK directly and asked them, and here is their response. Take from it what you will, but it seems to be pretty much a guarantee:

I understand that you want to verify the Region Code of the item "Dinosaur Revolution [Blu-ray]".

After thorough investigation and as confirmed by our supplier, please be informed that the item "Dinosaur Revolution [Blu-ray]" is Region Free (which means it can be played in any blu-ray players in all regions).

Yay!

Joel

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on July 25, 2012, 06:22:02 PM

Yay!
I just got it today, and after loading for a moment, it does indeed work on my region A bluray player!

Balaur

Quote from: Joel on July 31, 2012, 08:10:46 PM
Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on July 25, 2012, 06:22:02 PM

Yay!
I just got it today, and after loading for a moment, it does indeed work on my region A bluray player!

Good! I'm gonna mine soon.

dinohunter000

Hmm interesting, does it show every segment?  How is the actual program?
"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

Joel

Quote from: dinohunter000 on August 01, 2012, 06:31:24 AM
Yes, it is the US Discovery Channel broadcast (although I have not watched the "Watering Hole" and "End Game").

There are a couple issues I have with this version, however. Despite being on a Blu-Ray disc,  it is not HD. It's like those old DVD movies that were simply transferred to Blu-Ray discs. Also, the back lists Dinosaur Gangs, and two episodes of Dinosaur Planet (not Planet Dinosaur) as bonuses, and I cannot find them. Maybe it's some Easter egg that must be accessed through some code?

Or maybe this is an early prototype of the home release of Dinosaur Revolution that someone got their hands on and is selling it?

Balaur

Quote from: Joel on August 01, 2012, 06:55:45 PM
Quote from: dinohunter000 on August 01, 2012, 06:31:24 AM
Yes, it is the US Discovery Channel broadcast (although I have not watched the "Watering Hole" and "End Game").

There are a couple issues I have with this version, however. Despite being on a Blu-Ray disc,  it is not HD. It's like those old DVD movies that were simply transferred to Blu-Ray discs. Also, the back lists Dinosaur Gangs, and two episodes of Dinosaur Planet (not Planet Dinosaur) as bonuses, and I cannot find them. Maybe it's some Easter egg that must be accessed through some code?

Or maybe this is an early prototype of the home release of Dinosaur Revolution that someone got their hands on and is selling it?

Maybe they didn't put the bonus disc in or something.

Anyways, I just ordered my copy, and I should get it soon. When the talking heads come up, I'm just gonna fastforward thru them. ;)

Joel

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on August 02, 2012, 06:08:57 AM
When the talking heads come up, I'm just gonna fastforward thru them. ;)
Well, you really don't need to do that, because they're there for just a few seconds. Besides, Blu-Ray players like mine would just over shoot them, making going back to the action extremely tedious.

While this version is overall satisfying, I'm still going to get the uber version that is going to be released here in the US. I'm hoping they pack it with lots of worthwhile extras. :D

Balaur

Quote from: Joel on August 02, 2012, 06:56:31 AM
Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on August 02, 2012, 06:08:57 AM
When the talking heads come up, I'm just gonna fastforward thru them. ;)
Well, you really don't need to do that, because they're there for just a few seconds. Besides, Blu-Ray players like mine would just over shoot them, making going back to the action extremely tedious.

While this version is overall satisfying, I'm still going to get the uber version that is going to be released here in the US. I'm hoping they pack it with lots of worthwhile extras. :D

I'm gonna get the uber version too! I mean, have both versions and see which one kicks ass!

scallenger

I'm kind of at a loss for words here...

I got the disc in the mail, and the disc displays the copyright image, but then after that, the screen went dark, and that was it. I took the suggestion here to wait it out for it to run, but nothing happened for more than 10 minutes. So clearly the disc will not work on all Region A players. I have a Sony BluRay player that is only a few years old, and I even tested the disc out again after giving the player's firmware a new upgrade just to see if it would make a difference. None at all. I notice the packaging also clearly says "Region B" on the back and on the disc. Joel, are you sure you have a Region A player? If so, which brand is it? My player plays EVERYTHING, including new and old BluRays (I just got John Carter recently and it plays flawlessly).

If I can't get it to work I'll have to write Amazon a fairly annoyed letter after actually going straight to them asking about this first, and then even updating their listing to say it is Region Free when it apparently isn't, including according to the ACTUAL PACKAGING. Yeah, very "thorough" research there, lol. Sorry if I seem annoyed, it's because... I AM! lol.

Joel

Quote from: scallenger on August 04, 2012, 09:35:23 AM
I'm kind of at a loss for words here...

I got the disc in the mail, and the disc displays the copyright image, but then after that, the screen went dark, and that was it. I took the suggestion here to wait it out for it to run, but nothing happened for more than 10 minutes. So clearly the disc will not work on all Region A players. I have a Sony BluRay player that is only a few years old, and I even tested the disc out again after giving the player's firmware a new upgrade just to see if it would make a difference. None at all. I notice the packaging also clearly says "Region B" on the back and on the disc. Joel, are you sure you have a Region A player? If so, which brand is it? My player plays EVERYTHING, including new and old BluRays (I just got John Carter recently and it plays flawlessly).

If I can't get it to work I'll have to write Amazon a fairly annoyed letter after actually going straight to them asking about this first, and then even updating their listing to say it is Region Free when it apparently isn't, including according to the ACTUAL PACKAGING. Yeah, very "thorough" research there, lol. Sorry if I seem annoyed, it's because... I AM! lol.

It seems that you got screwed, because my copy does not say anything at all about what region it is. I think the seller at Amazon accidentally send you a region b copy, so yeah, let him or her know about it and return it for the right one.

My Blu-Ray player is a Vizio, but I don't think that make a difference anymore because the back of your copy says region b, and I know mine can't play those.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: