News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebuilding the Past

Started by Balaur, September 21, 2013, 08:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

Okay, so, a while back, I had an idea of reconstructing what the Earth was like 80 million years ago, with all of its fauna and flora. Everything, animals, bacteria, archaea, ect.

I also invented new species. I focused on Marsupials for some reason, (probably because I was researching sugar gliders) and I wanted to share my invented species. Here is the taxonomy and biology!

"Infraclass - Marsupialia
Superorder - Ameridephlia
Order - Stagodontidae
Family - Mantilabentidae

The Mantilabentidae is made up of 15 species. They resemble the sugar gliders and their relatives of Australia today. There common names are "pouch gliders"

While the Mantilabentidae only have 15 species, close relatives, in the family Lutrisicutidae have more than four times that number. There is actually a debate about how many genera there really are. The consensus was that there was only 25 genera, but now a debate has sparked with some saying there are 28 genera. There common names are "marsupial otters" because of their physical similarities of modern day otters. They also have similar lifestyles and live in similar habitats.

The most interesting aspect is just how many different marsupial otters there are. One of the most diverse genera's are Didelphosmilus, or "sabre-toothed marsupial otters". They are divided into 9 different species. The largest is Didelphosmilus robustus, which is the largest mammal of the Mesozoic. It makes Repenomamus look like a tiny mouse. There is even a place in Appalachia where they are the apex predators. They have large sabre teeth, which is impressive. But what is even more impressive are the sheer size of these animals. The largest confirmed specimen measures 2.5 meters long and weighs 600 kilograms, making it the size of a bear. Some unconfirmed specimens have been said to reach four meters, but these reports are often not considered valid. The reason why they became so big and became the apex predators of this small part of Appalachia is unknown, but non-avian dinosaurs are very rare in this area, probably because it was seperated from the rest of the world. This allowed the mammals to grow enormously and become apex predators of this small area. Research is ongoing and there is still much to learn about D. robustus.

There is also the dirk-toothed marsupial otter, the scimitar toothed marsupial otter, and the herbivorous sabre-toothed marsupial otters (D. dirkensis, D. homo, and D. florensis, respectively)"

I am still working on this project and I thought that It would be cool to share this. If anyone wants to join in on this project they are totally welcome, but try to choose a different animal. I am more making up monotremes, marsupials, and placentals, and birds.

Anyone is open to help on non-avian dinosaurs, insects, plants, fungi, and any other organism.

This is similar to the speculative dinosaur project but instead of dinosaurs not going extinct these are animals that may have existed in the past 80 million years ago. I promise I will post pictures of them when I have the chance.

Yutyrannus

Cool! I might join in on this :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Balaur

You are certainly welcome! :)

Which organism shall you choose to focus on?  ;D

Yutyrannus

Non-avian dinosaurs. I'm already working on an 8 inch long (with the tail, which is half its length) arboreal raptor ^-^.

Balaur

Cool!

I have decided to add more info on two species Mantilabentus. This is just about their appearance.

Mantilabentus dontus -
They are nocturnal like most Mantilabentus. They are also arboreal and have thick grey fur with black markings, similar to that of the sugar glider of Australia. They have large eyes, and a flat tail. They surprisingly lack whiskers, the reason why is unknown. They have sharply recurved claws to help climb trees. They are also large, and adults measure 45 centimeters long, and weigh up to 300 grams.

Mantilabentus rex -
M. rex are the most bizarre of the Mantilabentidae. They are nocturnal, like most species, but also have the largest eyes in comparison with the head of any known mammal. They also have whiskers and lack the fangs of M. dontus, but instead have rodent like incisors. They have a thin rat like tail, and have a more narrow snout than most Mantilabentus species. They are small, despite the species name "rex", only measuring 15 centimeters long, and weigh 45 grams. They also have short claws and while they are well suited for their forest environments, they are not as strongly curve as M. dontus. They have cinnamon colored fur all around. They also have very thick whiskers, not only just thick, but are also incredibly dense. They also have strangely shaped ears, which are square shaped. They also have webbed feet, an adaptation for swimming, which they also are very good at, but they don't hinder the animals ability to climb trees. They also have extremely short fingers, but they are incredibly flexible, looking similar to a bears paws. Their hind legs are also much longer than their front legs, and are infact capable of very limited bipedal walking.

Yutyrannus

Yutyrannus

I will try to start drawing Nanodromeus soon. It is a four-winged arboreal raptor that is 8 inches in length.

Yutyrannus

Are you still doing this project? If so, when can you post the pictures of the mammals you wrote about?

Balaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on November 27, 2013, 01:35:40 AM
Are you still doing this project? If so, when can you post the pictures of the mammals you wrote about?

Yeah, I'm still doing it. I just had other stuff on my mind lately. I should be able to draw one of the mammals tonight, if I have time.

Yutyrannus

Cool! Also, sorry I've taken so long with my Nanodromeus. I'll try to draw him soon :).

Yutyrannus

Did you ever finish drawing those mammals? Also, I'll try to work on some stuff for this series over the next few days :).

Balaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on February 15, 2014, 02:09:09 AM
Did you ever finish drawing those mammals? Also, I'll try to work on some stuff for this series over the next few days :).
No. I'll try to soon though.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on February 15, 2014, 02:10:05 AM
Yay! Can't wait to see them! This project is really cool and I would like to see more of it sometime. Maybe you could make a whole website for it.

Balaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on February 15, 2014, 02:12:36 AM
Yay! Can't wait to see them! This project is really cool and I would like to see more of it sometime. Maybe you could make a whole website for it.
I actually was thinking about that. I might do that, but probably when my computer works, because it is a pain to do anything on my blog on this dinky tablet.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on February 15, 2014, 02:13:45 AM
I actually was thinking about that. I might do that, but probably when my computer works, because it is a pain to do anything on my blog on this dinky tablet.
Oh, I understand that. Also, I actually meant a whole website just for this project. Maybe a wiki like the one I created for the Allozoic Project?

Balaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on February 15, 2014, 02:16:08 AM
Oh, I understand that. Also, I actually meant a whole website just for this project. Maybe a wiki like the one I created for the Allozoic Project?
I understood you, but stuff such as blogging and/or creating websites are a pain. I think a wiki would do. :)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on February 15, 2014, 02:17:44 AM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on February 15, 2014, 02:16:08 AM
I understood you, but stuff such as blogging and/or creating websites are a pain. I think a wiki would do. :)
Yeah, wikis are pretty easy to make and maintain. For ideas about how to organize it here is a link to mine:
http://the-alllozoic-project.wikia.com/wiki/Life

Yutyrannus

I've been a bit busy with other projects lately, but I'm about to start on that dromaeosaur :).

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.