News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re: Feathering proof

Started by Gwangi, October 04, 2013, 03:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 07, 2014, 08:28:05 PM
Quote from: Trisdino on August 07, 2014, 08:25:34 PM
Asia is one of, if not the, places with the highest quantity, and most important, fossils discovered, so no, you do not know shit about dinosaurs.

I wouldn't say the most important, megalosaurus was from Europe, deinonychus was from North America, carnotaurus from South America.
Yeah, all the fossils from China are WAY more important than those. Besides Megalosaurus? Important? It's only important because it was one of the first dinosaurs discovered.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 07, 2014, 08:29:49 PM
Quote from: Trisdino on August 07, 2014, 08:26:50 PM
Which means that you do not know anything about velociraptor, which was from mongolia and china. Case settled, you know nothing John snow.

I was up to date, until they started churning out tons of glorified dinosaurs and tiny mammals.
Seriously stop saying glorified dinosaurs!

Trisdino

Asia is one of, if not the, places with the highest quantity, and most important, fossils discovered, so no, you do not know shit about dinosaurs.

I wouldn't say the most important, megalosaurus was from Europe, deinonychus was from North America, carnotaurus from South America.

And yutyrannus, dilong, guanlong, velociraptor, microraptor, Sinosauropteryx, therizinosaurus, deinocherius, and psittacosaurus all came from asia. Carnotaurus was hardly an important find, neither was deinonychus, and megalosaurus, while certainly important, was only relevant many years ago, today, dinosaur science is advanced mainly via asia.

Gwangi

Alright alright, trying to educate the guy is one thing but lets not pick on him over it. I know it is frustrating but he's young yet. If his passion for the subject is deep enough he'll figure it out on his own. Clearly at this phase in his life he believes what he wants and refuses to acknowledge evidence to the contrary. Just let it go, or else the thread will be locked. I have a life long passion for dinosaurs but when I was 19 I only knew a fraction of what I know now about dinosaurs, natural history and evolution. Heck, some of you younger members have really impressed me by the amount you know. He'll catch up, if his passion goes that deep.

Ultimatedinoking, the only advice I have for you is to do research. If you're really passionate about dinosaurs you'll eventually make sense of what we're all trying to say, what the majority of the scientific community has accepted. Follow the evidence no matter where it goes and remember that your preferences don't matter. A lot of members here grew up in the age of tail dragging dinosaurs and have had no problem with that view drastically changing over the years.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Trisdino on August 07, 2014, 08:31:17 PM

And yutyrannus, dilong, guanlong, velociraptor, microraptor, Sinosauropteryx, therizinosaurus, deinocherius, and psittacosaurus all came from asia. Carnotaurus was hardly an important find, neither was deinonychus, and megalosaurus, while certainly important, was only relevant many years ago, today, dinosaur science is advanced mainly via asia.

Megalosaurus: first named dinosaur.

Deinonychus: sparked the dinosaur renaissance

Carnotaurus: well preserved skin imprints.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 07, 2014, 08:33:24 PM
Quote from: Trisdino on August 07, 2014, 08:31:17 PM

Megalosaurus: first named dinosaur.

Deinonychus: sparked the dinosaur renaissance

Carnotaurus: well preserved skin imprints.
And you really think that's more important than all the species Trisdino just listed?

Trisdino

I was more or less always aware of the modern view of dinosaurs, mainly because I grew up with the likes of Luis Rey, with my childhood books already showing feathered, or at least very agile, dinosaurs. Anyway, I can say that me and Stargate, though I wont reveal my exact age, are both younger than him, and again, I knew much more than him since I was but a few years of age, not because of intense research, but just by way of reading the modern books that I was given.

Edit: How are skin impressions on carnotaurus important? Yeah, they are neat, but it was not the first dinosaur with skin impressions, nor in any way the one with the biggest impact. Deinonychus helped spark the dinosaur Renaissance, but was not the sole cause, and in terms of the animal itself, while it helped further the view of active dinosaurs, it was really just more of a reminder, with many other dromeosaurs having been found much earlier. Megalosaurus has much historical value, yes, but is no longer relevant. Today, in the modern age, with this current wave of discoveries, asia is what matters, refer to all the species I listed.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Trisdino on August 07, 2014, 08:34:23 PM
I was more or less always aware of the modern view of dinosaurs, mainly because I grew up with the likes of Luis Rey, with my childhood books already showing feathered, or at least very agile, dinosaurs. Anyway, I can say that me and Stargate, though I wont reveal my exact age, are both younger than him, and again, I knew much more than him since I was but a few years of age, not because of intense research, but just by way of reading the modern books that I was given.
Same here.

stargatedalek

could we go back to looking at the evidence, and not at each other? ;)

I have to say there are times I feel privileged to have grown up with documentaries back in the Discovery channel heyday (before it became what it is now *shudders*)

Ultimatedinoking

Edit: How are skin impressions on carnotaurus important? Yeah, they are neat, but it was not the first dinosaur with skin impressions, nor in any way the one with the biggest impact. Deinonychus helped spark the dinosaur Renaissance, but was not the sole cause, and in terms of the animal itself, while it helped further the view of active dinosaurs, it was really just more of a reminder, with many other dromeosaurs having been found much earlier. Megalosaurus has much historical value, yes, but is no longer relevant. Today, in the modern age, with this current wave of discoveries, asia is what matters, refer to all the species I listed.

It is saddening that you think that :(

Feather impressions were known long before the Asian Dino rush.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Gwangi

Well I'm a bit older so I've seen a lot of transformation where dinosaurs are concerned. "The Land Before Time" was the first movie I ever saw in a theater if that gives you a good time frame. I've been able to keep up with dinosaurs just because I keep an eye on the science but the dinosaurs of today are not the same animals I played with in the sand box. I'm alright with that, some people aren't. For some people dinosaurs are more fantasy than reality and they like it that way. He's 19 so it is a little perplexing as to why he is so opposed to the prevailing viewpoint but it is what it is. Clearly nothing we do will help, certainly picking on him won't. He has to want to learn this stuff.

Ultimatedinoking

-UDK

Yutyrannus

What? Why are you saying hi?

stargatedalek

Because this has probably been a troll the whole time

Balaur

Wow! You either are a troll, or just the most feather hating person I know! I might actually do a blog post on why this is complete bollox. Either way, it was fun reading the entire exchange. Also, I'm surprised thst no one mentioned Kulindadromeus.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Balaur on August 07, 2014, 10:01:48 PM
Wow! You either are a troll, or just the most ignorant feather hating person I know! I might actually do a blog post on why this is complete bollox. Either way, it was fun reading the entire exchange. Also, I'm surprised thst no one mentioned Kulindadromeus.
Be careful, calling someone "ignorant" might be construed as a personal attack...which, you know, is against the rules.

Balaur

Sorry. I was filled with rage at that point. I'll fix it.

amargasaurus cazaui

I had gone to bed this morning before your post Gwangi and wanted to achknowledge it and say thanks. I will review it more as time allows, but thanks for finding the cladogram that addresses my questions. Appreciated.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 07, 2014, 09:24:13 PM
What? Why are you saying hi?

I left for a while, and then came back. I was just being nice.  :-\
-UDK

stargatedalek

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 07, 2014, 10:23:18 PM
Quote from: Balaur on August 07, 2014, 10:01:48 PM
Wow! You either are a troll, or just the most ignorant feather hating person I know! I might actually do a blog post on why this is complete bollox. Either way, it was fun reading the entire exchange. Also, I'm surprised thst no one mentioned Kulindadromeus.
Be careful, calling someone "ignorant" might be construed as a personal attack...which, you know, is against the rules.
I wouldn't say that its an attack in this case, since ignorant means someone who doesn't know about the subject in context, its not always used as an insult, it can also be used literally

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: