You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New collector, need help on brand choice (Safari or CollectA?)

Started by Raptoress, October 07, 2013, 06:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raptoress

Hi, I'm new to these forums and new to model dinosaur collecting. And need some help on brand choice.

Generally my go to brand is Papo with Shleich coming in 2nd for their incredible detail and affordable price. However, as amazing as their models are, there's just not a massive selection in species that I'm looking for. So I've gone searching for other quality brands and so far Safari and CollectA have caught my attention. However, some models I've seen look... I don't know the word... Just un-appealing in my opinion. But perhaps these are early models? Anyway, I want to hear from more experienced collectors what their opinion is and what brand would be better for me. So would you say Safari or CollectA is better? And why?

tyrantqueen

If you are after something more detailed and accurate, there are model kits and Shapeways prints. But those can be very costly and require skill and time to assemble. So I don't know if they'd be appropriate for you.

Which Safari and CollectA models did you look at? Imo, the older Safaris are much better than new ones (for example, good safaris are the Brachiosaurus, Stegosaurus, Apatosaurus, and Postosuchus)

The early collectAs are VERY bad, with a couple of exceptions. The Jobaria is very much worth getting. I also like the Hatzegopteryx. CollectA have improved their models nowadays, but not everyone loves their models. Some are a hit and miss.

Have you looked at Carnegie's models? Or Favorite's? Kaiyodo make some very nice models, but they're tiny and need to be purchased from overseas usually. Battat are quite good too, but they are rare collector's items and would be very expensive to buy.

Of course, it all boils down to personal taste :) I'm very picky, and just choose stuff that I like some certain lines, but I don't get the entire line.

This site might be helpful to you- it was helpful to me when I first started out collecting http://www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com/

Roselaar

If you can swallow Schleich to this day, you'll have little trouble accepting Safari/Carnegie (same company, different lines) and Collecta into your life. Both are far superior on every level: accuracy, range of species, detail and price. Granted, some of the older models of both companies aren't very good, but that just puts those on Schleich's level. :) Their more recent models vary from fabulous to good, with only few exceptions.

Okay, there's a few good Schleich models, but not many. And there's a few bad Collecta and Safari models, but also not many.

I can also recommend Favorite and some of the Bullyland and Mojo models.

Balaur

I only own one CollectA, but from in person photos I can say that they vary in detailing and quality. I only own the Utahceratops, which is a very nicely detailed and sculpted model.

Safari is great, their details on the scales are nearly up to par with Papos (at least the latest Safari releases are) and are sculpted wonderfully, the only problem i have is with recent theropods, who have giant clown feet.

I personally prefer Safari over CollectA, but again, comes down to person taste. I hope this helps!

Everything_Dinosaur

Both Safari Ltd and Collecta have their pluses and minuses, both companies have invested in improving their model ranges and some of the replicas are now excellent.  We (Everything Dinosaur) based in the UK work closely with both companies, if you want additional information, pics etc just drop us an email and we will do our best to help contact Everything Dinosaur

Our blog site has a lot of pictures, videos and reviews of models this may also help, for example, we have just been sent by Safari Ltd high res images of all the new 2014 prehistoric animal models that we are interested in - new photos will be on the blog shortly: Everything Dinosaur Blog

Check out the comments made by other collectors on this forum, very helpful and informative and of course at the end of the day feel free to collect only those models that you want to, personally, I just go for one or two favourites.

Pawnosuchus

I really think it all boils down to what you like. I collect figures that appeal to me regardless of their manufacturer. Most of the Schleich figures, I find to be pathetic, but I do have the Kronisaurus and Demastosuchus from them. CollectA seems to come up with the greatest variety of species but I find them to be hit or miss also. I've often bought a CollectA because I wanted a new species only to "upgrade" it eventually. (Ex.-Cryolophosaurus replaced by the Carnegie) If you're a "completeist"  it can become very expensive and ultimately futile unless the line is now out of business. I have all the Battats, but only because I bought them years ago when they first came out. Some people collect JP, which I wouldn't even take as a gift.  Just my personal choice. Ultimately, I'd say look around and get what you like.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Pawnosuchus on October 08, 2013, 12:22:53 PM
Ultimately, I'd say look around and get what you like.

I agree with that.

For example i like Papo (even if they are inaccurate) buy I'll never buy that horrid (to my eyes) thylosaurus.

I have picked Carnegie's, WildSafari's, Papo's, Schleich's, CollectA's, Bulllyland's etc.

CollectA gives you the widest range of species to choose from (but most of them are not to scale). I like most of its deluxe versions, but a few normal ones are very good (example: Plateosaurus). Also i love its Megacerops but dislike its Deinotherium.

Carnegie and WildSafari gives you more refined and accurate figures (not all of course). But Wildsafaris aren't in a fixed scale.

See what's available from all the brands and choose what you like. And of curse there are discontinued figures that you should look at (including schleich prehistoric mammals).

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

tanystropheus

In general, I prefer Wild Safari over CollectA because the materials feel sturdier (and overall build quality), and the dinosaurs themselves appear less 'cartoon-like' (although, there are many, many exceptions). Most of the models that have been released in recent years (last 6 years for WS, last 2-3 years for CollectA) have had significant improvements over previous renditions. CollectA does produce some excellent pieces (all of them are recent releases) such as Deinocheirus, Deinotherium, Therizinosaurus, Attenborosaurus, Dolichorhynchops and Amargasaurus, and, of the older releases, Psittacosaurus and Olorotitan are worth noting. Wild Safari got really good around 2007, around the time Dunkleosteus was released, and their models tend to go up and down in quality somewhat from year to year.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.