News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Book recommendations

Started by DinoToyForum, March 26, 2012, 02:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: HD-man on July 25, 2014, 12:10:05 AM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 24, 2014, 05:52:40 PMbut it hasn't been released yet ;)

Really? Maybe I'm missing something, but it says that the paperback came out on "June 1, 2014": http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Dinosaurs-Fearsome-Reptiles-Became/dp/174223366X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

My mistake, didn't realise there was a paperback version out already :)

Everything_Dinosaur

New out is "Dinosaurs of the British Isles" written by Dean Lomax and Nobumichi Tamura.  This is a comprehensive guide to the dinosaur fossils found in the United Kingdom.  It covers something in excess of 100 different dinosaurs and it has been aimed at the knowledgeable palaeontologist/general reader.

Published date July 2014, it has a limited print run, which is a real shame as the layout and photographs are superb.  It represents the most complete guide to British dinosaur fauna.  Book length around 400 pages

Highly recommended, here is the publishers website: Siri Scientific Press

Price £37.75 plus shipping.

tyrantqueen

I'm going to try picking it up. I am interested in reading more about the dinosaurs of my home country. I'm just hoping that it's not too technical of a read for me.

Everything_Dinosaur

Everything Dinosaur's book review of the excellent "Dinosaurs of the British Isles":Dinosaurs of the British Isles

At over 400 pages, this is a comprehensive overview of the Dinosauria associated with the British Isles.

HD-man

Quoting Bakker ( http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/29qwys/iama_we_are_paleontologists_dr_robert_bakker_and/ ):
QuoteDrBobBakker here. Yes indeed, I and others at my museums are seeking ways to help Jim K. and his colleagues extract the entire family of Utahraptors. As for Raptor Red, I have finished the prequel which, God willing, should appear next year. The first book was optioned for the movies but was deemed too expensive to execute in fine CGI. That was a while ago. Now we could do feathered Utahraptors more easily.

Can't wait, especially if it's anything like Raptor Pack (albeit for adults)!
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

tyrantqueen

http://www.nhbs.com/a_pictorial_guide_to_paleontology_prehistoric_aquatic_reptiles_tefno_196995.html

Does anyone know anything about this?

It's part of a series, but I'm interested in this volume because there are usually so few volumes discussing marine reptiles.

DinoToyForum

I didn't know about the marine reptile volume. The preview pics are interesting. The ichthyosaur skeletal is highly simplified - too simplified to be useful. On the other hand, that Yunguisaurus restoration is marvellous. I'm tempted.

I've been considering writing a book about fossil marine reptiles myself. A future project, perhaps. I've too much on my plate at the moment... :-\

tyrantqueen

Thanks, I might consider getting it myself.

tyrantqueen

I've ordered the volume on prehistoric marine reptiles and I'll let you know if it's any good or not. I might consider getting the rest of the series too (although that will be an expensive endeavour...)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 21, 2014, 10:20:41 PM
I've ordered the volume on prehistoric marine reptiles and I'll let you know if it's any good or not. I might consider getting the rest of the series too (although that will be an expensive endeavour...)

Oh, yes, do share some photos when it arrives. I hope it was worth the investment, the restoration artwork alone should make it worth it :)

laticauda

Quote from: Metallisuchus on April 28, 2012, 01:24:25 AM
"Raptor Red" by Bakker was like no other. It's not exactly a reference book, but a story line revolving around a single Utahraptor, and Bakker's prehistoric world is brilliant and rich in every detail. Of course it's imagined, but it's Bakker-imagined  ;)

I so agree!!!  Reptor Red is one of my favorite books involving dinosaurs. 
For childrens books, I loved Allosaurus by Doreen Edwards as a kid, the art work and story are...Interesting.
Off the beaten path and not exactly a dinosaur book, is Where the Wild things Were, by William Stolzenburg.
Ok, the book is about ecology, predators, megafauna, and even re-wilding. In a simple way, it gets your brain thinking not just about what is happening now, but what were the dynamics and relationships that went on in the world long ago.  It can be applied when you are thinking about an extinct environment.   

Everything_Dinosaur

We would like to add "Dinosaurs of the British Isles" by Dean Lomax and Nobumichi Tamura to the recommended list of dinosaur books, if it has not been added already.  This is a comprehensive catalogue that lists all the dinosaur discoveries from the UK.  The book contains lots of amazing photographs of fossils and it is an excellent read.

For further information we would direct you to our book review, which also contains a link to the publishers: Dinosaurs of the British Isles

triceratops83

The absolute best time I had reading a non-fiction book was with "The Horned Dinosaurs" by Peter Dodson. He writes in a really accessible way, so that you learn easily a lot of in depth scientific knowledge without losing  focus. I like how he deals with anatomy in a step by step guide - I'd have never learnt what I know now if it wasn't for him, what with my short attention span. And he's very humorous, the most memorable part of the book was where he received in the mail a full size cast of a Chasmosaurus skeleton, which he proceeded to put together in his living room, trying to finish it before his wife got home. She wasn't impressed. I recommend this book for everyone, regardless of an interest in ceratopsians, very enjoyable read.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

EmperorDinobot

I recommend the Mark Witton book about Pterosaurs. It's really eye-opening.

Mamasaurus

Hi there, I'm looking for a nice visual reference for prehistoric life throughout Earth's geologic history.  I am extremely visual, so good, accurate illustrations and high-quality photos of fossils would be a great help. 

Have any of you read Prehistoric Life: The Definitive Visual History of Life on Earth?  It's published by DK Publishing, so that makes me wary.  I like that it provides info on plants as well as animals, and the fact that it boasts on being a visual guide is highly appealing to me. 

If this one isn't very good, then some pointers on where I should turn would be most helpful.   :)

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

stargatedalek

Quote from: Mamasaurus on February 03, 2015, 09:03:21 PM
Hi there, I'm looking for a nice visual reference for prehistoric life throughout Earth's geologic history.  I am extremely visual, so good, accurate illustrations and high-quality photos of fossils would be a great help. 

Have any of you read Prehistoric Life: The Definitive Visual History of Life on Earth?  It's published by DK Publishing, so that makes me wary.  I like that it provides info on plants as well as animals, and the fact that it boasts on being a visual guide is highly appealing to me. 

If this one isn't very good, then some pointers on where I should turn would be most helpful.   :)
I just ran a quick google search and it seems many of the reconstructions shown in it are quite dated, and this includes the skeletals. It certainly does seem like a nice read but as is usual with DK encyclopedias its a very varying mix of information and quality of/as such.

Mamasaurus

That's most unfortunate, but because it's DK Publishing I figured that may be the case.  Any ideas on what books, if any, would be helpful?

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

tyrantqueen

So there's a new book coming out soon which features Sergey Krasovskiy's art.

I remember him mentioning something about it in his PT interview. I really like his art so I must get this >:D

Is anyone else a fan? :)

HD-man

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 17, 2015, 04:27:36 AM
So there's a new book coming out soon which features Sergey Krasovskiy's art.

I wouldn't recommend it given that it's by Strauss (who, similarly to Blasing & Dixon, is a bad source of dino info: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/journal/SD-Good-semi-good-and-bad-dino-sources-2-454991435 ).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

tyrantqueen

That's a shame...but I still might be tempted to get it just for the art.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: