You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Paleoferroequine's slice 'n dice-Barylambda 18 May '12

Started by paleoferroequine, March 26, 2012, 10:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Quote from: paleoferroequine on April 13, 2012, 11:00:33 PM
Moved from;Need sculpting help ASAP!!!!!

I have a new project and I took pictures this time.
Here is a Safari Vagaceratops being converted to a Diabloceratops . The first thing of course is to cut apart the victim with a Dremel tool with cut off disk and sharp knife and glue back to the new pose. Then epoxy putty is used to fill the cuts and the new head details. And finally a base coat of paint to see if there are flaws.(There are. :-[) There are some more things to do like corrections and some more detail. The frill is now more sharply angled, last pic

Quote from: paleoferroequine on April 13, 2012, 11:00:33 PM
Moved from;Need sculpting help ASAP!!!!!

I have a new project and I took pictures this time.
Here is a Safari Vagaceratops being converted to a Diabloceratops . The first thing of course is to cut apart the victim with a Dremel tool with cut off disk and sharp knife and glue back to the new pose. Then epoxy putty is used to fill the cuts and the new head details. And finally a base coat of paint to see if there are flaws.(There are. :-[) There are some more things to do like corrections and some more detail. The frill is now more sharply angled, last pic

Awesome!!!!! I wish this was for sale! But I understand if it's not :(. May I suggest, as a new project, to Papo velociraptor into a feathered Utahraptor.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Really nice work so far ! I'm really shocked Safari and Procon didn't jump on a Diabloceratops this year..I'm hoping for one next year..it just sounds so cool... ;D

paleoferroequine

Quote from:Yutyrannus

Awesome!!!!! I wish this was for sale! But I understand if it's not :(. May I suggest, as a new project, to Papo velociraptor into a feathered Utahraptor.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 16, 2012, 05:08:33 PM
Really nice work so far ! I'm really shocked Safari and Procon didn't jump on a Diabloceratops this year..I'm hoping for one next year..it just sounds so cool... ;D
Thanks, you're right it seems a natural. Who knows. The Velociraptor/Utahraptor is on a list but there are a bunch of ceratopsians that have priority since I like them a lot. Also some (gasp, oh noes :o) prehistoric mammal conversions.

Takama

Safari didint jumped the Diablo cuzz they were fixed on the Vega :)

Wow,so thats what they all look like on the inside.

Gryphoceratops

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on May 01, 2012, 03:08:29 AM
Safari didint jumped the Diablo cuzz they were fixed on the Vega :)

Wow,so thats what they all look like on the inside.

They could have done BOTH.. ;) ..and Procon..well they certainly have done one. Maybe 2013. ;)

Sharptooth

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Bokisaurus

Awesome as always, just simply amazing! I wish I had your talent >:D Can't wait to see your final piece. Its great to see the step-by-step photo of how your process go, very interesting, thanks for sharing.

paleoferroequine

Thanks for the comments, I've been busy on some other stuff and haven't finished this. I am making another Diabloceratops but got distracted by a Pelorovis oldowayensis conversion and a musk ox and Barylamda conversion. Well, back to dinosaurs. ;D

stoneage

:)  I'm looking forward to seeing your Barylamda conversion.

Lady medusa

I am soooooo glad you posted this! Now i have an idea of how to try out my own modifacations! This is super kool! If it was all one color you would never know it was something completely different! As for your microraptor, beautiful! I really with you could see the irradecense but we have boat tailed grackles here as well so i know exactly what your talking about.

As for aussie magpies, i lived in melton,vic for a while and all i gotta say " magpies are evil!!!" im glad we dont have to deal with those crazy birds here in the states!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Lady medusa on May 15, 2012, 05:07:37 PM
I am soooooo glad you posted this! Now i have an idea of how to try out my own modifacations! This is super kool! If it was all one color you would never know it was something completely different! As for your microraptor, beautiful! I really with you could see the irradecense but we have boat tailed grackles here as well so i know exactly what your talking about.

As for aussie magpies, i lived in melton,vic for a while and all i gotta say " magpies are evil!!!" im glad we dont have to deal with those crazy birds here in the states!

We do have our own crazy birds..Blue Jays come to mind almost instantly. ;D

Lady medusa

How do you get the scales to look so uniform? Ive heard of sculpters making scale stencils so they dont have to take forever making them. Im glad i have pet reptiles ;) i have all kinds of different scale designs to try thanks to their sheds.

Lady medusa

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 15, 2012, 05:50:30 PM

Haha i thought about that but thats only when you mess with their nests or are near their nests. Ive been bommed by a couple of blue birds too lol.
Ive never heard of someone dying from a blue jay bomb. Magpies on the other hand lol they kill people every year. Its so bad that some people will wear sunglasses on the backs of their heads or those no fear hats that have eyes on them so that the pies think your still watching them! When i hear hear their calls i still get the chills

paleoferroequine

Kingbirds are even worse but luckily fairly small. Their name says it all:Tyrannus tyrannus. :o They chase crows and ravens away. I saw a pair with a nest in a hollow pole for a traffic light. So they chased cars and when cars were stopped at the light they would dive bomb the windshields and sometimes land on the hood and flap their wings at the drivers. Hilarious!! ;D

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Lady medusa on May 15, 2012, 05:52:00 PM
How do you get the scales to look so uniform? Ive heard of sculpters making scale stencils so they dont have to take forever making them. Im glad i have pet reptiles ;) i have all kinds of different scale designs to try thanks to their sheds.
Whenever I sculpt something and there is some putty left  I make a stamp of skin patterns.  Problem with stamps is that they don't make very good scales that are uniform over an irregular surface.  So what I have are pieces of thinwall brass or plastic tubing of different sizes to make scales.  I shape them to be more rectangular or square.  Hexagon tubing is also made but the walls are thicker.  I then use a clay shaping tool to refine each scale.  It's time consuming but gives better results than a stamp.

Lady medusa

Quote from: paleoferroequine on May 15, 2012, 08:54:47 PM

Kingbirds are even worse but luckily fairly small. Their name says it all:Tyrannus tyrannus. :o They chase crows and ravens away. I saw a pair with a nest in a hollow pole for a traffic light. So they chased cars and when cars were stopped at the light they would dive bomb the windshields and sometimes land on the hood and flap their wings at the drivers. Hilarious!! ;D

That sounds like a good youtube video to me! Could you imagine being bombed by a bird like an eagle, hawk, or owl? Ive never heard of them doing that but im sure its happened. My dad got chased by a bald eagle when he was a kid and it was literally running after him. The eagle was injured so it couldnt fly off :(.
When i was a zookeeper i had to work around a male ostrich, he was evil! He would try to come over the fence at you and would be hissing and kicking. I was just waiting for the day he broke the fence and then id be jumping into the european lynx pen! Id rether take my chances with them  ;).

With the scale details you have to greatly exaggerate them in order for them to show up through the paint right? I think today im going to try to make some stamps from my snake and lizard sheds.

paleoferroequine

Well, to see them at viewing distance, the scales need to be exaggerated anyway. Which is why when viewed closeup such as a photo, the figures don't look as good.
Anywho, here's the newest, late Paleocene heavyweight(compared to everything else then) Barylambda faberi made from a blackbear, lengthened and new tail and head. I'm getting quite a collection of prehistoric mammals now. :o ;D

Bokisaurus

Quote from: paleoferroequine on May 18, 2012, 08:28:22 PM
Well, to see them at viewing distance, the scales need to be exaggerated anyway. Which is why when viewed closeup such as a photo, the figures don't look as good.
Anywho, here's the newest, late Paleocene heavyweight(compared to everything else then) Barylambda faberi made from a blackbear, lengthened and new tail and head. I'm getting quite a collection of prehistoric mammals now. :o ;D

Very impressive! Wow. so beautiful, can't even tell it's been altered.  :D
You should take a picture of all your customized figures. It would be awesome to see them all together.  ;)

paleoferroequine

Thanks, I appreciate it. I now have about 33 prehistoric mammal conversions and 9 dinosaur, mainly ceratopsian. I was wanting to use Photosynth to show the pics in pseudo 3D but it got unstable on my computer and locks up Firefox. I might try it with Comodo Dragon browser.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: