News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo- new for 2014

Started by Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus, November 08, 2013, 04:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amanda

Looks borderline, but yea maybe. My other question is does that far hand touch the ground? looks like it is resting 3 point, just not on the tail...

tyrantqueen

Something I just realised- Dilophosaurus skeleton shows a small, fourth finger, but the Sideshow statue omits this. So my guess is that the finger is vestigal and buried in the flesh of the palm, much like a T.rex. So, it's not incorrect after all. Any thoughts?

Most modern reconstructions (including Safari's and Carnegie's toys) show Dilopho with three fingers and a little stump, or no fourth finger whatsoever:

Maybe they should have added a stump, but it seems okay.

Yutyrannus

Wow! Great work, Papo! I will be getting all of these next year for sure ;D!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

darth daniel

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 20, 2013, 02:37:41 PM
My only criticism about this figure is how thin the tail suddenly becomes. It sort of becomes iguana like halfway through.

I think if the tail is much "taller" than it is wide it could be the angle the picture was taken from, since it gets thin where the bend starts. So where it is so thin you´re actually viewing the width while at the tail´s beginning you can see the "height".

Nice figures, just a little bit disappointed there´s no Apatosaurus...

amanda

But why did you think there would be. Papo has only ever made the brachio, and it is not flying off the shelves. Why would the make another monster figure so soon, if at all? Is the dilopho the first JP starring dino that is not JP inspired in design?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amanda on December 20, 2013, 03:01:36 PM
But why did you think there would be. Papo has only ever made the brachio, and it is not flying off the shelves. Why would the make another monster figure so soon, if at all? Is the dilopho the first JP starring dino that is not JP inspired in design?
I guess people got psyched up because of the Carnotaurus they released earlier. We sent a request asking for them to make a Sideshow inspired Carno. I'm not 100% convinced that it was because of our emails that it was made, but some people do seem to think so. Following this, many people made a request for Apatosaurus to be made and they must have thought there was a good chance of Papo listening to that request and making one.

Plus, Apato is part of the Dino "Big Four": along with T.rex, Triceratops, and Stegosaurus. It's a popular sauropod in its own right.

amanda

Sure, Well known and popular. But big. I mean they could make it smaller, sure, but that would really disappoint, wouldn't it? I would rather see a Papo Amargasaurus.....soooo spiny..:)  I think that the development time between figures being designed, sculpted, cast, and released precludes our e-mails from this year to have been realized as a giant sauropod already. The Brachio looks to be an experiment and a gamble. If I were them, I'd wait a while and see how it goes over. They gotta make a profit after all, ya know?

but I would like a big to scale Apato. I wish Carnegie had done a new one to fit with the new Diplodocus and Brachiosaurus. I am concerned that a Papo Apato will have the club feet and a very wrong neck structure. It is such a specific thing in the Apato. I don't want to plop down another 50 dollars on a huge figure that looks really good but is still really wrong. The main reason I have not bought the Brachio. Really nice, really big and detailed, and still fairly wrong....

Papo Apato...say it out loud 3 times...

darth daniel

Quote from: amanda on December 20, 2013, 03:01:36 PM
But why did you think there would be. Papo has only ever made the brachio, and it is not flying off the shelves. Why would the make another monster figure so soon, if at all?

That reasoning has been posted before and I actually didn´t think they would do an Apatosaurs, still I can wish for one. And I think when a simple wish is not fulfilled that qualifies as reason for slight disappointment.

amanda

I get that. I am disappointed at no new ceratopsian. A Pentaceratops, Medusaceratops, even a Diabloceratops. I am not saying I don't understand being disappointed. I am saying that many were absolutely certain of it happening and I wanted to know why. I mean beyond wishing, there was a certain amount of certainty for the Apatp and Giga.

tyrantqueen

I'm pretty happy with what's been released...although I'm not too keen on the JP Trike with its elephant feet. Was anyone else reminded of this McCreery artwork when they first saw it?

We now have a baby Triceratops to go along with the baby Tyrannosaurus :)

QuoteThat reasoning has been posted before and I actually didn´t think they would do an Apatosaurs, still I can wish for one. And I think when a simple wish is not fulfilled that qualifies as reason for slight disappointment.
I wanted an Apato too, but there's always next year ;)

amanda

Meh. Either way the suspense of knowing is over. Now to wait half the year for better pics and the chance to actually buy them.

darth daniel

Quote from: amanda on December 20, 2013, 03:20:15 PM
I get that. I am disappointed at no new ceratopsian. A Pentaceratops, Medusaceratops, even a Diabloceratops. I am not saying I don't understand being disappointed. I am saying that many were absolutely certain of it happening and I wanted to know why. I mean beyond wishing, there was a certain amount of certainty for the Apatp and Giga.

I think people kept reading the wish-posts so often until they believed there were rumours. At least with the Giganotosaurus it seemed that way. ;)

amanda

Ya, the feet are off. But it is still damn cute. Ah well. We need better shots of the bird. And now we can reasonably wish for a new raptor sculpt and Therizinosaur. We see they can do feathers if they want to.

alexeratops

WOOT WOOT! FINALLY! Those are awesome! I just KNEW there would be a Dilopho! ;D
like a bantha!

SpartanSquat

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 20, 2013, 03:21:19 PM
I'm pretty happy with what's been released...although I'm not too keen on the JP Trike with its elephant feet. Was anyone else reminded of this McCreery artwork when they first saw it?

We now have a baby Triceratops to go along with the baby Tyrannosaurus :)

QuoteThat reasoning has been posted before and I actually didn´t think they would do an Apatosaurs, still I can wish for one. And I think when a simple wish is not fulfilled that qualifies as reason for slight disappointment.
I wanted an Apato too, but there's always next year ;)

I just said the first time I saw this one. I hope the next year we could have apato based in sideshow and a better tylosaurus based in the next one! Also we are all forgeting the temporal exclusive figure from a french store this year!
Anybody knows which store is?

amanda

Not forgetting, just not assuming there is one. until it has been verified and posted, I assume there is not gonna be one. The more I say definitively that something will not happen, the more things seem to happen...:D

Patrx

Aw, that Archaeopteryx is disappointing...
The baby Trike, on the other hand, I like, mostly because it reminds me of McCreery's and would make a nice addition to my JP collection. I was hoping for a JP Dilophosaurus for the same reason - I don't trust Papo to make much beyond JP replicas.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Very cool new releases ! I'll get em' all eventually.

The baby Triceratops certainly appears to be JP inspired..but that's also probably so it will fit with the adult Trike they already produce.

ChrisLikesDinos

Archaeopteryx!? Yes please. Looks fantastic, but perhaps a bit like a a feathered Deinonychus. Assuming they were influenced by a popular piece of art does anyone know which one?

Dilophosaurus!? Yesssss. It's clearly using the Allosaurus as a base, but its not bad at all. I only with they were more adventurous with the color scheme. Can we eventually get a young Dilophosaurus with JP influenced features?

Baby Triceratops!? Awesome and cute. 100% JP inspired also. =)

vs

nobunaga

Very disappointed, Was just hoping for a big Giganotosaurus...silly feathered dinosaurs...viva giant Teropoda!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: