News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Zopteryx's Absence Explained [Image Heavy]

Started by ZoPteryx, January 22, 2014, 03:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

I was out of commission for a while during the summer (4 months and not a single post, clearly I must have died!) mainly because of school, moving (my entire collection is still boxed up :(), and then not having anywhere to move to.  This "forced", my family and I to take a vacation; no need to ask us twice! :))  We drove from coastal southern California to the Rio Grande region of Texas (aka: bird watching heaven).  Long story short, I thought I'd share some wildlife photos from the trip.  Enjoy! ^-^

First stop: South East Arizona (Tucson) and Madera Canyon

Two male Clark's Spiny Lizards (Sceloporus clarkii) battle for dominance of our hotel room balcony.

Male Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra).

Male Broad-billed Hummingbird (Cynanthus latirostris).

Next stop: Somewhere in west Texas

A remarkably tame Common Checkered Whiptail (Cnemidophorus tesselatus).

Ultimate destination: Rio Grande Valley and South Padre Island, Texas

South Padre Island birding center, complete with Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks, Great Egret, White Ibis, Laughing Gulls, and lots of other stuff.

Beautiful Tricolored Heron (Egretta tricolor).

Alligator mississippiensis, and a big one too.

Plain Chachalaca (Ortalis vetula), one of my target birds.

Green Jays (Cyanocorax yncas) at a feeding station.  Easily my favorite birds of the trip.

Crested Caracara (Caracara cheriway).  The bird was very approachable, hardly any zoom used on this photo.

A scarily large land/ghost crab of some sort.  Seriously, this things leg span was at least as large both my hands put together!  And it was living in a garden!  Anyone have an idea as to its species identity?  It's too big an too blue to be Ocypode quadrata, isn't it?

Return trip: Just outside Tucson, Arizona.

Showy male Greater Earless Lizard (Cophosaurus texanus).

As cool as alligators are, the reptilian highlight of the trip was this Gila Monster (Heloderma suspectum).  I had actually spotted him the previous night, but was unable to get any good photos.  The next night, I found him in an outdoor hallway on the hotel grounds, even more interesting is that he must of climbed up some stairs to get there!

Home: back in Southern California, greeted by Blue Whales (Balaenoptera musculus).  The individual in the first and third photo has been named "Hook" by local whale-watching guides, due to his damaged tail fluke.

In the end I was able to add about 35 new species of birds to my life list, although a missed a few I'd thought would easy, in addition to loads of other cool wildlife.  I have many more photos of many other species, if anyone is interested.  ;)

Thanks for viewing! :D

Great Dane Emma thinking: "Were gonna need a bigger boat!"

Blade-of-the-Moon

Awesome pics !  As much as it was a forced trip..you clearly made the best of it ! :)

ITdactyl

Those are great shots.  Thanks for sharing the pics.  ...And to see blue whales... wow.

DinoToyForum

Stunning! The folks over at ATF would be interested too, and might be able to help with the IDs.  ;)

ZoPteryx

Thanks everyone!  I'll definitely post these and more over on ATF too. ;)

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Gwangi

Welcome back. I for one am jealous of all that wildlife you got to see and photograph. Thanks for sharing.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

I am a little late to this page, but still... :o
Wow. What an experience!
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.