News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top Ten Weirdest Prehistoric Creatures

Started by Takama, February 03, 2014, 03:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

After the discovery of Atopodentatus, I thought it would be fun for us to list what we think are the top 10 weirdest prehistoric creatures out there.

My list:

Atopodentatus: Just look at that face! :o

Abelisaurs (Carnotaurus): Its tough to choose just one of these creatures with their long legs and hilariously stubby arms.

Therizinosaurus: We know from its cousins that this was one of the weirdest creatures with its pot belly long neck and long claws

Nigersaurus: This ones a given, I mean, what other sauropod dinosaurs looks like a vacuum cleaner?

Helicoprion This is another given. Sharks don't get much weirder.

Pterodaustro: Mainly due to the strainers in its mouth

Tanystropheus: That Bizarrely long neck for a mostly skinny creature

Chalicotherium: Had to put at least one mammal on the list. The horse and gorilla hybrid.

Anomalocaris: Alien looking thing from a primitive world.

Opabinia: Same as Anomalocaris, only its made even stranger with a long appendage coming from its bottom

Those are my ten weirdest Prehistoric creatures. Feel free to post your own.

DinoToyForum

Crackington

Great choices Takama, though I'd have Hallucigenia in my Top 10. Any creature for which scientists couldn't figure out the right way up has got to be a contender for this list. It would also make the Top 10 Best Weird names - far out!

Gwangi

Quote from: Crackington on February 04, 2014, 09:05:33 PM
Great choices Takama, though I'd have Hallucigenia in my Top 10. Any creature for which scientists couldn't figure out the right way up has got to be a contender for this list. It would also make the Top 10 Best Weird names - far out!

I would suggest that one as well. Also, Platybelodon and Amebelodon and both pretty strange too.

DinoToyForum

I'd also swap Pterodaustro for Nyctosaurus as representative weirdo pterosaur. But they are both weird.

Roselaar

Here's a few more:

Longisquama:

Incisivosaurus:

Scansoriopteryx:

Gerrothorax:

Henodus:

Hatzegopteryx:

DinoToyForum

Oh, yes, Longisquama and Halucigenia get my vote too!

So, I'd condense my own top 10 list as follows.

Tanystropheus
Longisquama
Atopodendatus
Halucigenia
Nyctosaurus
Helicoprion
Opabina
Anomalocaris
Therizinosaurus
Chalicotherium

Quote... long appendage coming from its bottom

Isn't that its head?

tyrantqueen

Diplocaulus, Edaphosaurus (it always looked weird to me with its tiny head), and Atlasaurus, with its weirdly proportioned front legs and short neck.

Also, Majungasaurus.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 05, 2014, 09:11:52 PM
Diplocaulus, Edaphosaurus (it always looked weird to me with its tiny head), and Atlasaurus, with its weirdly proportioned front legs and short neck.

Also, Majungasaurus.
But TQ, apart from being a bit strange, Majunga is simply one of the most awesome looking predators ever.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

QuoteBut TQ, apart from being a bit strange, Majunga is simply one of the most awesome looking predators ever.
Heh, I don't deny that fact >:D

tyrantqueen

Gwangi

Though we take it for granted, Stegosaurus really is among the strangest prehistoric creatures.

tyrantqueen

When you think about it, sauropods are really strange as a whole as well. You can sort of understand why early paleontologists stuck them in swamps for decades, because there is no terrestrial animal alive today that can be compared to them in terms of sheer size. My theory is that, in their minds, the only species they could compare them to was cetaceans, so they must have belonged in the water.

Btw, does Isisaurus really have such an odd "elbow" structure as this illustration suggests?

tyrantqueen

Looks like the artist was inspired by our old friend, the Invicta Mamenchisaurus...or maybe both animals visited the same yoga instructor >:D

Gwangi

Sauropods are weird, really most of the dinosaurs are weird which is part of their draw but since they're so popular we take them for granted as well.

I find some of the extinct Crocodilians pretty strange too, like Suchodus.

And of course, many of the early whales were very strange.

Kutchicetus

Newt

Speaking of whales, how about Odobenocetops, the walrus whale?

A lot of the Permian critters are wacky too.  I like Estemmenosuchus:

And as was mentioned of Stegosaurus, some of the familiar Cenozoic beasts are really weird once you reconsider them, like Deodicurus and Megatherium here:

DinoToyForum

The more we look the more weirdness we find  :))

Roselaar

Oh my, how could I have forgotten Estemmenosuchus! Really a true weirdo!

Libraraptor

What is normal what is strange? Any extinct animal is strange to a certain extend. If I had to choose I´d taken some of the ones mentioned before but add a whale, such as Ambulocetus or Pakicetus to it. One of the strangest ideas evolution had (yes, yes, I know one must not personalize evolution) was making land living animals aquatic ones. And well, someone who is really strange is the Flores man.

DinoToyForum

Yes, it is quite a subjective process. Nobody has yet mentioned an elasmosaurid such as Albertonectes. I suppose we are 'used' to their unusual appearance, as with the sauropods. ;)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.