News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions - Other Toys and Figures

Started by sauroid, February 11, 2014, 07:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorDinobot

Loon

I love the show (he says, despite not having binged season 2 yet), so I finally decided to check out the new Voltron figures from Playmates. I got the blue and the black lions, they were the only figures at walmart.

The lion(lioness?) modes are great, very well articulated; however, the soft plastic on the tail and feet detracts from a pretty solid figure. As for Voltron...

He's huge!!!
Voltron is looking pretty good, and very nicely poesable, too; but, no sword? C'mon Playmates; also, the paint is ok, but when compared to the prototype photos it's very weak. Hopefully Playmates continues this line and makes the main characters, and some large Robeasts.

Dilopho

CityRaptor

Voltron is kinda useless if he is missing so many parts. Should not have messed with that Space Goddess.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Loon

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 22, 2017, 11:53:40 AM
Voltron is kinda useless if he is missing so many parts. Should not have messed with that Space Goddess.
He's not useless.

He's invincible!

Loon

Quote from: Dilopho on January 22, 2017, 11:45:31 AM
Samus looks so confused!
She just realized how terrible her last game was, and that she hasn't had a game to herself in almost 7 years...

EmperorDinobot

I've only found the yellow Lion and the black one.

Loon

Got some new stuff recently after making some sales, so yeah.
I some new 5"/6" scale figures:
AT-AT Driver, Figma Zero Suit Samus, Snowtrooper(or "Snow Stormtrooper," if you're one of those... ;)), and Sabine Wren

And the World of Nintendo Metroid. I found it hidden behind one of those horrible movie megazords and a John Cena, makes sense, it was on a deep clearance.

Also picked up the Dreamworks Voltron 14" figure, I went to Target looking for some of the lions, but they only had this and the 6' figures, so I got this figure out of sheer Voltron-desperation....and sadness...

I'm pathetic. Also, not toy relevent; but, if anyone likes roms, AM2R is pretty great.

EmperorDinobot

I...am having trouble finding the other lions. For the first time in...ever, it appears to me that this is a popular toy in my region. My region always stocks and even shelfwarms EVERYTHING that I collect. This is different. Voltron is popular again.

Loon

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on February 02, 2017, 10:24:16 PM
I...am having trouble finding the other lions. For the first time in...ever, it appears to me that this is a popular toy in my region. My region always stocks and even shelfwarms EVERYTHING that I collect. This is different. Voltron is popular again.
Yeah, after weeks of searching, I still only have the black and blue lions. Atleast the success of these figures means we may get more in the future.

AcroSauroTaurus

Got some Skull Island figures today.

I am the Dinosaur King!

BlueKrono

Yes, I saw those recently. Good to finally get a good look at the monsters. 
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 20, 2017, 04:22:57 AM
Yes, I saw those recently. Good to finally get a good look at the monsters. 

They're actually pretty cool, I wasn't really interested in the vehicles, just the creatures. ;) Kong is huge... the Bamboo Spider is cool, but mine has a couple loose leg joints. The Mutant Pterosaur is... interesting, but in a good way. it says "flapping wings" when the whole figure is soft rubber, so all you do is move the figure up and down and it looks like its flapping. The Skullcrawler is the main one I wanted, I just wish they would've made a bigger one with articulated jaw, arms, and tail.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Digibasherx

Have to say, I'm not all that impressed with the Kong figures.  The human figures look like the gijoe KOs that you find at TRU, and Kong's sculpt seems lacking in articulation and screen accuracy.  I think the Peter Jackson King Kong figures were much better.

CityRaptor

Well, the human figures are pretty much that. They are from a buddget toyline called "The Corpse" although Hiddlestong and Jackson got new heads. And yes, the PJ figures were better, at least in case of Kong. The Dinosaurs with expection of the big V-Rex were however lackluster.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Loon

Made a bit of money, and decided to splurge and catch up on Transformers, mostly Titans Return, but some RID too. Sixshot is great, I love that figure, hate the stickers.The rest areall pretty good too; Bumblebee, though, is just OK.

And....RED LION!!!!!

Found at retail no less, I was shocked; much better quality than the Blue Lion, the joints aren't as loose. I'm really digging this line, and Voltron's 3/5 done now.

EmperorDinobot

Even all the black Voltron Lions are gone in my region!

The Kong figures have nice parts of weapons and building dioramas.

Patrx

"Plesiosaurus! Power Ranger: Purple!"
Dino Charge Purple Ranger. Normally, I don't much like Bandai America's Power Rangers offerings, as they tend to look like superhero action figures. This one has its issues, too. But, the helmet turned out really well and I like the character.

"Triceratops!"
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie Blue Ranger: Triceratops Mode. This is a really outstanding figure from BoA's Legacy line. All the annoying muscle detail that appears on their normal male figures has been replaced with a near-perfect recreation of the film's angular PVC armor, and the helmet includes all the little complexities that separate it from the television version. It includes the movie's sidearm (which is literally never used on-screen) and Blue's unique "Stega-Stinger", which claims about three seconds of screen time. About the only thing I can find to gripe about are the hands, which are standard five-ribbed Ranger gloves instead of the movie's double-chevron design.

BlueKrono

"Plesiosaurus! Power Ranger: Purple!"
Dino Charge Purple Ranger. Normally, I don't much like Bandai America's Power Rangers offerings, as they tend to look like superhero action figures. This one has its issues, too. But, the helmet turned out really well and I like the character.

I... don't think I can even include that in my plesiosaur collection.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Patrx

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 23, 2017, 04:04:31 PM
I... don't think I can even include that in my plesiosaur collection.

It's a pretty subtle theme, but at least the costume has more to do with Plesiosaurus than her robot does:

It's basically just a bulky airplane with teeth on the front. All the mecha in that show were hideous.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: